Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-03-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
lukez

Default PSP, XBOX 360 Core System or Nintendo Wii

My fiance is going to sign up on a new phone plan and you can get one of these for free. Just wondering what people think I should go for. I hope with a bit of a chat in these forums could help me decide. Thanks

Old 25-03-2007, 09:21 PM   #2
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

XBOX , Purely cos there free

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #3
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Xbox 360

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
strife

not free as well

id go the wii
strife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
Pursuit_chick
E-series mutantette

id get a Wii
Future mods: Speed Holes!
Pursuit_chick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 09:55 PM   #6
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

PSP.

I can watch dvd's, play psp games, play playstation 1 games, play music, look at photos, play any emulated console game from snes backwards, use it as a gps, go on the internet, all while on the go anywhere anytime. Nothing really beats what that little machine can do, but i guess if you want it all on the big screen then itd be a ps3.
Old 25-03-2007, 09:59 PM   #7
Mongoose
Can't go around corners

360, dont want to have anything to do with japan. And halo 3 will come out on it :O
Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 10:04 PM   #8
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

XBOX 360 and I'll give you fifty bucks for it.
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #9
Bitmap

I would choose the XBOX 360. I have the original XBOX and it's great
Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #10
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

xbox 360 by far. Iv seen some phone plans when you sign up and you get the premium 360. I got the premium 360 last year at launch and have never looked back. It has so many features and live is great. Its a pity that people have waited for the PS3, they could have been playing games that look just as good with much much better online play over a year now. Plus halo 3 is looking great. I still play halo 2 online.

when you get the 360, get yourself a hard drive and a xbox live starter kit. You can do so much with these two things. But you will need broadband for live

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 12:05 AM   #11
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

if you like your sports games, nothing beats the wii, for example a boxing game you actually get to box - awesome!!

otherwise go the 360!
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 12:11 AM   #12
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

360. PS3 is overpriced. Wii is no good for individual play, and the games are comparatively shallow.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 08:01 AM   #13
lukez

Thanks for the response guys. I cant believe I got so many replies so fast. Started the thread before I went to night shift. Jumped on the net as soon as I got home I saw the responses.
Anyway. At first I throught that you could only get the PSP but we went into the store I found out that I could get the other items which through me out of wack.
I like the idea of the PSP because of the features that Falcon Phill explains but I would like to understand how a bit more of how it is able to go on the internet and how you get all the other types of games onto it. Plus I was keen on this because I was intending to get myself a PS3 around christmas and I heard that you could use the PSP along side of it.
The XBOX 360 I know is an awsome machine and it would be great to have have one.
My fiance was keen on the Wii cause it would be great for parties but I think I will give this one a miss.
I have until the end of the week to make my mind up so it would be great if I could get some more thoughts on each console. Thanks
Old 26-03-2007, 08:47 AM   #14
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

screw xbox, i play old school nintendo

haha that emo song been stuck in my head again

Go the XBOX man, XBOX live is easy and alot of fun
Old 26-03-2007, 09:05 AM   #15
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella

Bwahahaha, I have it as well. Stop my breathing and slit my throat, I must be EMo, I play guitar and write suicide notes....
Old 26-03-2007, 09:09 AM   #16
DGROMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8fella

Fuuny thing is you can download Super Mario Bros and other NES, SNES and Nintendo64 games and actually play them on the Wii using the wireless remote. I'd go the Wii if the GF wants to play, and if you want to have fun and exercise whilst playing, otherwise the XBox360
DGROMS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #17
lukez

I have a super nintendo and a nintendo 64 already. They were fun. I still often pull out mario allstars for a play. I think I will go the xbox. What is the difference between the core system and the premium system? I still have not ruled out the PSP. I am enjoying that this thread has had a bit of interest. I will let everyone know what I chose. My Missus is finishing up her job on Friday to go to a new place. She currently has a blackberry but is going to give it back to the company cause it is useless without it hooked up to the work server for internet access.
Old 26-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #18
42.57lb
Is tuna chicken or fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukez
Thanks for the response guys. I cant believe I got so many replies so fast. Started the thread before I went to night shift. Jumped on the net as soon as I got home I saw the responses.
Anyway. At first I throught that you could only get the PSP but we went into the store I found out that I could get the other items which through me out of wack.
I like the idea of the PSP because of the features that Falcon Phill explains but I would like to understand how a bit more of how it is able to go on the internet and how you get all the other types of games onto it. Plus I was keen on this because I was intending to get myself a PS3 around christmas and I heard that you could use the PSP along side of it.
The XBOX 360 I know is an awsome machine and it would be great to have have one.
My fiance was keen on the Wii cause it would be great for parties but I think I will give this one a miss.
I have until the end of the week to make my mind up so it would be great if I could get some more thoughts on each console. Thanks
Hey bruz

the features that were explained, like playing emulated NES games, watching movies etc depend on a few things. First of all you have to "customise" your "firmware" on the PSP. If you don't know what that means there are heaps of sites that help explain it. www.hackmypsp.com is one. But you can just google it. You should be aware that you are tampering with the unit (I have one and I have done it) and that there are risks involved with doing this. For a start you can "brick" it. But if you're reasonably tech savvy, you should be fine. Google "PSP homebrew" to find out more! If all that sounds abit complicated, stick with the 360! I've got one of those too and it's AWESOME. Especially if you've got surround sound, big TV etc.

Wii are excellent for having friends over and a few beers, crazy dangerous though cause you can whack each other with the controllers totally by accident.

If you want to learn more about PSP customisation google:

Dark-Alex
3.10 OE firmware PSP
PSP firmware 1.5

hope that helps!
42.57lb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #19
I FluXx I
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukez
I have a super nintendo and a nintendo 64 already. They were fun. I still often pull out mario allstars for a play. I think I will go the xbox. What is the difference between the core system and the premium system? I still have not ruled out the PSP. I am enjoying that this thread has had a bit of interest. I will let everyone know what I chose. My Missus is finishing up her job on Friday to go to a new place. She currently has a blackberry but is going to give it back to the company cause it is useless without it hooked up to the work server for internet access.
premium 360 comes with a wireless controller, high def cables and a hard drive, core dose not. But you can pick these up from the shops or ebay for a bargain and just add them on. The graphics are great(on par with ps3 if not better) and it has a tone of games already available. Join xbox live and it becomes even better. On the dashboard there is marketplace where you can download arcade games(ultimate mortal kombat, paperboy, worms...). You can also download demos for games, additional game content like costumes and more levels, game trailers and other cool stuff. They recently put up a episode of south park to download.

There is also video marketplace which has launched in the usa and is launching here soon. Basically you can download all your favorite tv shows.

You can play online and talk to people all over the world. You can send and receive messages and you also have a friends list. Your friend mite be plating GRAW and you mite be playing crackdown, but you can still talk through private chat. Then there is the web cam. Some games use it like the arcade game "uno", or you can just have a video chat with someone.

original xbox game Halo 2 is great fun online and halo 3 is expected to be released around november this year. I could go on forever, but im sick soooo, i think i mite get some sleep

cheers

Performance mods: SL's(front) and leveled at the back, Front 30mm whiteline sway bar, 4" dump, 4" cat, 3.5" exhaust split to Dual 2.5" with quad tips, Plazmaman stage 1 polished intercooler and piping kit, 60lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, upgraded actuator, GFB BOV, K&N panel filter

Mods for show: 19" black Speedy Inferno rims, MTX 5x7's front and rear, 2x Kenwood 4ch amps, 3x Kenwood 10" subs, chrome fuse box cover
I FluXx I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #20
fordchick
To the Mess Mobile!

Im in love with the wii, all my mates and i have a ball just drinking and playing on the wii. I'm yet to play any games just myself on the system so i cant comment, though my mate says zelda was awesome.
I have never owned a xbox... and dont know if i ever will. I miss having a console though, my ex had the ps2 :'( My new boyfriend has one but... well.. he has like 2 games, granted ones the v8supercar game lol... the original! rofl. Might have to borrow some off my mates but doubt i will ever get to play, we have issues of getting distracted! lol

"Sparkes has a purple knob!"

Sparkles, the stuffed toys in my car add kilowatts i swear!! :

http://www.myspace.com/zomg
fordchick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 11:56 AM   #21
MrMattyMo
bseries.com.au member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I FluXx I
premium 360 comes with a wireless controller, high def cables and a hard drive, core dose not. But you can pick these up from the shops or ebay for a bargain and just add them on. The graphics are great(on par with ps3 if not better) and it has a tone of games already available. Join xbox live and it becomes even better. On the dashboard there is marketplace where you can download arcade games(ultimate mortal kombat, paperboy, worms...). You can also download demos for games, additional game content like costumes and more levels, game trailers and other cool stuff. They recently put up a episode of south park to download.

There is also video marketplace which has launched in the usa and is launching here soon. Basically you can download all your favorite tv shows.

You can play online and talk to people all over the world. You can send and receive messages and you also have a friends list. Your friend mite be plating GRAW and you mite be playing crackdown, but you can still talk through private chat. Then there is the web cam. Some games use it like the arcade game "uno", or you can just have a video chat with someone.

original xbox game Halo 2 is great fun online and halo 3 is expected to be released around november this year. I could go on forever, but im sick soooo, i think i mite get some sleep

cheers
Halo three will make 360 king of all the consoles. PSP is good but i only use it in my car and when im in bed (browse the net). so id go 360... but don't try and put your 360 in the car... i tried and all i got was a scratched COD 3 disc. :(

"Sorry Officer we were just conducting an Accelleration test"
:evilsasmo
MrMattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #22
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongoose10
360, dont want to have anything to do with japan. And halo 3 will come out on it :O
I like your style (H3) :thebirds:
I hear that halo is allready the number 1 money making entertainment product in history :king: :
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #23
lukez

Thanks for the info 42.57lb. I thought that you had to hack the PSP to do what you said.
I am leaning towards the XBOX 360 cause of everyones strong recommendation. I have the Big TV and the surround sound so I think the system will be great. Probably will be getting it on wednesday. That comes to my next question. I have some coles myer gift cards still floating around from Christmas so what game or games should I go out and buy. I have never really looked into XBox's much so I am a bit unsure about what game to go for. Are there any games worth getting that have dropped in price. A bit like what the PS2 does with its platinum games.
Old 26-03-2007, 11:19 PM   #24
AussieJason

Get the 360 or Wii. Forget the PSP, the UMD format movies are being phased out and the games aren't very good either.

Previous Falcons:
2003 BA Falcon XL Ute White
1994 EF Falcon GLi Aqua

bseries.com.au Member

And drive a Holden company car...
AussieJason is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2007, 11:35 PM   #25
BLDNUT01

i,ve got the psp its not bad but i,d have to go for the Wii that thing is a blast
Old 26-03-2007, 11:36 PM   #26
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless if you're a die-hard Zelda fan, get the Xbox360.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 02:02 PM   #27
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Gaming at the moment is thus: Keep you PC and buy a Wii. Dont have a PC, get a 360 Premium and mod. Dont have a house, get a PSP, mod it, play NES games on instead of the crap that is available.

A 360 with HDMI and HDDVD would be very nice, that's what I'm hanging out for. PS3 can bugger off till its $500 cheaper.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #28
lukez

I decided to get the 360. It is sitting on my bench now. Have not opened the box yet. Just got to get some games first. I was thinking of getting need for speed carbon. I love those series of games. I have all the others on the PS2. COuld anyone recommend any great games what will show off the 360's graphics.