Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-03-2007, 09:40 PM   #1
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

Default new anti smoking add- see the whole face with the teeth.

hey guys, i just saw a new anti smoking add on tv. everyone knows the image of the teeth on cigarette packets, well now you can see the rest of the face in the tv commercial.

i have to say, its one of the most disturbing things ive ever seen, and believe it shouldnt continue.

what are your thoughts?

cheers
scott

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #2
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The real world is too much for me too. Shut it off.
Old 19-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
iCat
doof doof doof doof

this sort of thing really gives me the shits. i'm an ex-smoker, but i believe if you want to smoke, that's your business. it's legal, there's enough around to educate you as to it's pitfalls, and if you can afford it well so be it. give me some clean air to breath and i'm happy for you to smoke all you like. i'm not interested in the anti-smoking lobby shoving this crap at me through the media. keep it to the packets, aimed directly at the people involved.
: sorry!!
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
Force6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCat
this sort of thing really gives me the shits. i'm an ex-smoker, but i believe if you want to smoke, that's your business. it's legal, there's enough around to educate you as to it's pitfalls, and if you can afford it well so be it. give me some clean air to breath and i'm happy for you to smoke all you like. i'm not interested in the anti-smoking lobby shoving this crap at me through the media. keep it to the packets, aimed directly at the people involved.
: sorry!!
It's not just about attitudes now. It's about attitudes about smoking in future generations. Smoking doesn't just effect a smoker, if they develop a sickness, or die, or if it's bad enough it becomes a financial problem, it impacts upon their whole circle of friends and their family. Don't you think it's something human society as a whole doesn't need?
Force6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 11:02 PM   #5
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

: Smoking is a disgusting, filthy, disturbing habit and should be banned outright.It does absolutely no good to anyone whether it is their choice or right or whatever they are ****** in every way. The government just keeps raising the taxes to make more money out of the addicts who can least afford it.
50 years ago I could understand it, because it was glamourised, now days there is no excuse its just a pathetic thing to do to yourself and your money. I have never experienced the "pleasure" of it, so I probably don't know what i'm missing. A friend of my wife smokes and she has a little baby girl and smoked 40 a day right through her pregnancy, which is just ****** in the extreme. I can tell when she has been over as the smell lingers, even though whe doesn't smoke in the house. The baby reeks of smoke as well.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 11:11 PM   #6
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

To the people sooking about them who is FORCING you to watch these ads? No one is, if you don't like it don't look at it. NOT HARD!
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

/Lights up another smoke.

If smoking cost the government more than it earns them do you really think it wouldn't be banned?

As for the health arguements- I really could not care about longevity. I had an old lady who could barely walk come into my shop and thought "Why the **** would I want to live that long to be barely able to stand?" Hell I wouldn't want to live that long even if I could stand to be honest.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 11:16 PM   #8
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed.

If you don't like the commercial, turn away or change the channel.

Whenever the "Scope" commercial comes on the radio, I change it. That computerised voice just lies. We know. We dealt with them. Hopeless.

Anyway, too many smokers show total disregard for other's heath.

At Centro The Glen, in the entries there are signs which clearly state, "Smoking is banned in this location." Of course, that doesn't stop all those jerks from doing what they want, and walking through a cloud of smoke and feeling your lungs rot isn't particularly nice.

I look forward to the day when smoking is banned completely in public.

It's happened in Mossman now. Now, the rest of the country!
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 11:46 PM   #9
Miller
It's Millertime!

So we ban toddlers driving cars, but leave adds that non smokers have to put up with.
Old 20-03-2007, 12:04 AM   #10
gtfpv
GT

those adds are so real . they have to get actors with makeup . never ever seen a smoker look anything more than stained teeth . but i've seen many non smokers die from lung cancer .
ps . i'm a non smoker and cant see why anyone would smoke . but i think scare addsa are false . sure they increaese the risk . but non smokers get lung cancer too . and some smokers smoke and live long lives .
however . i don't recommend taking that gamble . it would be bad dyeing from lung cancer if you dont smoke . it would be bad and guilt ridden if you did smoke .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 12:12 AM   #11
XRchic
Hello

I thought that ad had been out for ages.

None of those smoking ads bother me. They never bothered me when I smoked and they dont bother me now.

I gave up two years ago before I got pregnant with my son. Have not had one since. I would never smoke pregnant and I think they should be banned from smoking. I agree with certain smoking bans, but get real people, its not the only stupid thing we humans do and you cant ban everything that people do that impacts on others, you can only help reduce it.

If I go to a pub, I really couldnt care less if people smoke around me either, its my choice to be there and put up with it. I dont agree with people smoking in non smoking areas, that is just disrespectful.

But as a non smoker now, and an ex smoker, nothing gives me the shytes more than righteous, holier than thou people who have never smoked and who dont understand, who give smokers a big lecture. Those people have the right to express their opinion, disgust or whatever, but those people should not for one second think that their ranting and lack of understanding is going to help anyone give up, or help society in any way.

Back to the ads... I really dont care, I dont know what the fuss is about really and people who cant handle real life in their faces, then diddums to you.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 12:18 AM   #12
XRQTR
TBA Customs

if they only put half the effort into anti-drug campaigns, oh sorry they are still trying to figure out how to tax that
XRQTR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 12:20 AM   #13
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Remember kids, prohibition works!

I hope none of you lot suggesting we ban smoking are the same mob that jumps up and down about politically correct whingers telling us how to run our lives.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 12:21 AM   #14
Conrad
Banned

That ad has been out for over half a year
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 12:39 AM   #15
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
I thought that ad had been out for ages.

None of those smoking ads bother me. They never bothered me when I smoked and they dont bother me now.

I gave up two years ago before I got pregnant with my son. Have not had one since. I would never smoke pregnant and I think they should be banned from smoking. I agree with certain smoking bans, but get real people, its not the only stupid thing we humans do and you cant ban everything that people do that impacts on others, you can only help reduce it.

If I go to a pub, I really couldnt care less if people smoke around me either, its my choice to be there and put up with it. I dont agree with people smoking in non smoking areas, that is just disrespectful.

But as a non smoker now, and an ex smoker, nothing gives me the shytes more than righteous, holier than thou people who have never smoked and who dont understand, who give smokers a big lecture. Those people have the right to express their opinion, disgust or whatever, but those people should not for one second think that their ranting and lack of understanding is going to help anyone give up, or help society in any way.

Back to the ads... I really dont care, I dont know what the fuss is about really and people who cant handle real life in their faces, then diddums to you.
Ex-smoker here too, spot on with the above ;) .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 09:40 AM   #16
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
50 years ago I could understand it, because it was glamourised, now days there is no excuse its just a pathetic thing to do to yourself and your money. I have never experienced the "pleasure" of it, so I probably don't know what i'm missing.

Lol, you worry about your body and your finances mate - i'll worry about mine.
Old 20-03-2007, 11:04 AM   #17
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I personally, as a non-smoker, look forward to the time when smoking is banned from pubs/clubs. Having been in California where is it banned, watching the Monday night NFL, it was funny to see the pub empty at half time as everyone went outside for a smoke, even the bartender!
Personally, I don't like getting home from the pub smelling of cigarette smoke, but I also realise that smokers have chosen their vice as well. I would like a smoke free pub, but currently we don't have those, so I'll put up with it for now.
Old 20-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #18
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
: Smoking is a disgusting, filthy, disturbing habit and should be banned outright.It does absolutely no good to anyone whether it is their choice or right or whatever they are ****** in every way. The government just keeps raising the taxes to make more money out of the addicts who can least afford it.
50 years ago I could understand it, because it was glamourised, now days there is no excuse its just a pathetic thing to do to yourself and your money. I have never experienced the "pleasure" of it, so I probably don't know what i'm missing. A friend of my wife smokes and she has a little baby girl and smoked 40 a day right through her pregnancy, which is just ****** in the extreme. I can tell when she has been over as the smell lingers, even though whe doesn't smoke in the house. The baby reeks of smoke as well.
I agree with the quotes 'disgusting, stench', and reference to the pregnancy (steralise the woman) comments, BUT what people do with their money is their business totally, not yours, not mine.

Some souls can affored to buy this rubbish, some will go without a bit of food to ensure the purchase of ciggies. People are people.

One day, I'd like to see ciggies banned. That will not happen for many years yet, at least a decade or two.

Anyhow, the pictures have little effect, a reverse 'up yours' outcome is recognised, 'defiance' if you will on the part of some smokers.

In future years we will see alcohol targetted the same way owing its gradual deterorating effects. See Outback Jacks recent post of the daily effects of this on native populations in NT.

But at some point, political correctness? has to stop.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
I personally, as a non-smoker, look forward to the time when smoking is banned from pubs/clubs. Having been in California where is it banned, watching the Monday night NFL, it was funny to see the pub empty at half time as everyone went outside for a smoke, even the bartender!
Personally, I don't like getting home from the pub smelling of cigarette smoke, but I also realise that smokers have chosen their vice as well. I would like a smoke free pub, but currently we don't have those, so I'll put up with it for now.
I gotta disagree with you on that. Pubs and clubs should be the one place that smoking should never be banned. I mean what's next ban drinking in pubs, there has to be some freedom for those who choose to smoke. By the way i'm an ex-smoker.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 11:32 AM   #20
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Frankly, i dont see the problem with smoke free pubs/clubs. The majority of people at the pub nowadays are non smokers - and the majority should rule. Its gonna suck for me personally, but fair is fair.
Old 20-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #21
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think if the ads put some people off smoking, which research seems to indicate it does, then they're worth it. If it stops a 12 year old picking up a packet and smoking, better still. If you still choose to smoke, good for you, it doesn't bother me if I don't have to smell it. The new anti-smoking laws here in Queensland are great, the only thing is now you have to hold your breath as you walk through the entrance to shops/hospitals/stadiums as you pass through the smokers who are too inconsiderate to walk further away. It's your choice to smoke, but if I sat there and burned pieces of plastic and created noxious poisonous fumes for you and your children to breathe, how would that be any different? So by all means smoke away, just consider others who haven't made that choice, and thanks to those that are considerate. I'll see you at the hospital in a few years ;)
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #22
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Maybe it isn't all about current smokers but deterring potential future smokers...

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 11:48 AM   #23
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
I gotta disagree with you on that. Pubs and clubs should be the one place that smoking should never be banned. I mean what's next ban drinking in pubs, there has to be some freedom for those who choose to smoke. By the way i'm an ex-smoker.
bull f'n **** until now i was sick of going to clubs only to choke on smoke, i expect that from an old landcruiser with dirty injectors not at clubs, but most clubs made the outside area for smokers

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 12:05 PM   #24
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I've seen more than one smoker at deaths door. It's a strange thing, not one of them ever said "gee, I wish I had more time so I could go on enjoying my smokes"
It is a personal choice to commit a long slow suicide by the fag. It is a shame that it affects so many others along the way. :
Old 20-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #25
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura

Lol, you worry about your body and your finances mate - i'll worry about mine.
Well I hope you have private health insurance.
Old 20-03-2007, 01:29 PM   #26
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I can safely say I haven't noticed an overwhelming increase of patronage to clubs after these bans were introduced.

LOL more than half the club is outside having a smoke.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #27
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow some people are lame.

Lets start putting photo's of splattered bodies around cliffs and say don't be stupid enough to do rock climbing, or perhaps we can flip down the sun visors in cars and find a nice picture of a motor accident scene.

A lot of my relatives have smoked all their lives, one has gotten cancer from it, the others just have bad all round health, stained teeth etc. Never seen anything like the stuff on the cig packs on a real person ever, whether related/friend etc. However I've lost someone in the family to a car accident.. I've also got an aunty in the alfred with brain damage who has no motor skills. The reason? She was drunk and depressed and jumped three stories.

Whoop de freakin do, people want to smoke, that's their choice, get over it. There's other dangerous or stupid activities we humans do, because we enjoy it and people don't give it a second thought.

Yeah effects of smoking need to be brought to attention, and I hate smokers that don't respect non-smokers in non smoking areas (or just aren't mindfull of others in general) but if they're not hurting you, why whinge so much? There's many other people who are in worse situations and DON'T want to be there that need help and attention IMO.

I'm not neccesarilly against the TV adds, but I prefer the packet campaign. You can look away from the TV, but if you buy a pack then it's right there in front of you anyway. I was at my friends house babysitting with her and her baby brother who is almost 3 saw one of the more 'shock factor' anti smoking adds and was kinda freaked out, didn't seem to like it (though he still likes to chew on empty cig packets from his step dad, lol).

For the record, I only smoke very occasionally, perhaps one night a month when I go out and feel like it when having a drink with mates, and I enjoy it, so i'm not going to stop..I like smoking and smelling the same tobacco (drum) that my grandfather used as it reminds me of him. I also enjoy pipe smoking on occasions and trying different fine tobacco's. Is it unhealthy? Yep, but I don't do it everyday (or hardly even every month), same as something like Macdonalds.

There you go, rip that to shreds.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #28
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Meh , its your Choice to Smoke or Not , Same as its your Choice to Watch the Ads ,

Personally , if you smoke and you get Cancer , your dont deserve a Transplant , or Excessive Help to repair the Damage you have done against Medical Advice .

Its the Same as if your Advised not to Run Calder and Your Mechanic tells you not to , you Do it and Then your Car Breaks.. What , should he Fix your Car for free cos you still did what you were told not too ?

Bring on The New Anti-Smoking Laws , But Dont Expect Sympathy when your stupid enough to not have any Self Control , As Chopper would say ..

'BLOODY DRUG ADDICTS"

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2007, 11:26 PM   #29
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My grandfather has never smoked and he's still alive, 87 in May.
Old 21-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #30
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
Too long to quote
I tend to agree to a point.
Some people will never quit, and that's their right.

But for me, the issue is that smoking is unhealthy and that passive smoke is also dangerous.

I do not want smoking to be banned, because that is impeding on people's rights, just like people are entitled to drink themselves stupid.

However, I support a ban of smoking in all indoor areas (except designated smoker areas which are no better than non-smoking areas) and entryways.

For me, people are free to smoke, just as long as they don't expose non-smokers to their toxins.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post