Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
ELLIOT

Default Playstation 3

Hay Everyone.
So who is going to be buying the new PLAYSTION 3 on Friday. Only $999.95. I for one am going to buy it just for F1. Already Have a Playstation . Playstation 2 , PSP , XBOX , XBOX 360.

ELLIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For 1000 bucks, I would prefer to build a kickarse pc.

I have been over consoles for years now.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

I will wait till V8 Supercar 4 comes out on PS3. hopefully it will be about christmas time and the units have droped in price.

Where can you get a kickarse computer for under $1000, a half good video card is over $300 and a 20"+ LCD is over $350, plus CPU, ram, sound card, MB and hard disk you end up spending over $2000 on a PC. and then it is out of date in 6 months.

My PC is a P4 1.6 and does great for emails and forum use.

Bright Green XP Coupe
9" 3.55 LSD, C10 and mild 302 Windsor

Cruizing the roads 70's style
XPcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I said a computer...meaning merely the case and components.

I did not mention a monitor.

And when I say kickarse, I don't mean best of the best. Best is overpriced.

This pc is 6 years old and still plays a lot of things that it shouldn't.

And even if I couldn't buy it for 1000, it would still go a long way towards funding it.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I'd rather spend that sort of money on a camera .. or better speakers for the house.
OR ... maybe some more mods for the ute ... hee hee
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 03:23 PM   #6
XPcoupe
The Grand Prix

But best of the best graphic card is over $1000 by it's self. a good normal graphics card is $300+, your computer might start the games but I am sure they are no running fast enough to play decently.

I would just rather a PS3 that you turn on and plays any game released for it. instead of upgrade very 6 months due to a new game being released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I said a computer...meaning merely the case and components.
I did not mention a monitor.
And when I say kickarse, I don't mean best of the best. Best is overpriced.
This pc is 6 years old and still plays a lot of things that it shouldn't.
And even if I couldn't buy it for 1000, it would still go a long way towards funding it.

Bright Green XP Coupe
9" 3.55 LSD, C10 and mild 302 Windsor

Cruizing the roads 70's style
XPcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PS3 has pretty much been the most un-anticipated console in recent history (and that's not me talking, that's from a lot of reviews since it's release). It's just boring really. :( Esspecially when a single blu-ray drive is already out of date now that dual format (blu ray and HD DVD) players are becoming the "norm". I really like the Wii though - trying to do something a bit different rather than coming out with the same old stuff in new packaging.

I'll buy a PS3, but only when a PS4 is out and I can pick it up at Cash Converters for $80 :P Just for the sake of having it (have every Nintenodo, Sega, Microsoft and Sony console ;) Even have a commodore 64 and Amega CD32 - which never lasted long enough for more than about 10 games to be made for it :P) But I'm over paying so much money for something that really isn't worth it.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
brendo83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
PS3 has pretty much been the most un-anticipated console in recent history (and that's not me talking, that's from a lot of reviews since it's release). It's just boring really. :( Esspecially when a single blu-ray drive is already out of date now that dual format (blu ray and HD DVD) players are becoming the "norm". I really like the Wii though - trying to do something a bit different rather than coming out with the same old stuff in new packaging.

I'll buy a PS3, but only when a PS4 is out and I can pick it up at Cash Converters for $80 :P Just for the sake of having it (have every Nintenodo, Sega, Microsoft and Sony console ;) Even have a commodore 64 and Amega CD32 - which never lasted long enough for more than about 10 games to be made for it :P) But I'm over paying so much money for something that really isn't worth it.

Well, dont know about the PS3's bluray player being out of date, haven't seen dual format players in stores yet, and the blu ray only players are still 1000+ on shelves, so if you want a blu ray player right now the PS3 is fantastic value, if you don't care about blu ray then its a highly overpriced console.
Funny thing about xbox360 vs PS3 is if you buy the optional HD-DVD player for the xbox 360 then the price becomes very close to the playstation, its just you get a choice with the xbox.
brendo83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$1,000?

East European hookers and beer....

much better value

...only kidding, he's says, as the wife looks at the computer.
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 05:20 PM   #10
xrobx
Slammin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLIOT
Only $999.95.
That made me laugh.

Wow, only?

$1000 can go a long way. I bought my Xbox 360 on special for $600, and even I think that is damn expensive.

www.bseries.com.au/xrobx
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 05:23 PM   #11
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Won't get one until the new Gran Turismo is released...
Old 19-03-2007, 05:35 PM   #12
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No way for that price. I'm waiting till xbox 360 goes down (hopefully) to steer sales away from PS3, then i'll grab one of them.

To me it's got nothing over the xbox (not interested in blu-ray at all), so it's an overpriced, boring release from Sony =/. I was really hoping for something a little more advanced or interesting.

PS. The wii is also a great little thing. The graphics aren't that bad and when you've got a few mates around it's rad for entertainment!
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #13
M14A-Mclaren
Foo Fighter

Oh yay, xbox fan boys.
M14A-Mclaren is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #14
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

One of my friends works in the gaming industry, even has his own shop.

He was disapointed by the PS3, recons not much better if at all than the XBOX 360.
He's a member of the forum, ill throw him a link to this convo. Better from the horses mouth.

You know how it goes though, HYPE SELLS ;)
AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #15
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmmm maybe. I want to get Test Drive Unlimited on PS2 first though.

Anyone seen video of that? It looks insane.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #16
xrobx
Slammin'

What are you then? A Playstation fan boy?

Who cares really? I used to have a PS1 and I liked it. The 360 is my second console ever. I love it. Whilst I can only assume the Playstation 3's power and capabilities, I can't justify $1000 for one.

Sony are going down hill in the console department anyway. Statistics prove this.

To the above. Yep, I've got Test Drive Unlimited on the 360. It's pretty average.

www.bseries.com.au/xrobx
Old 19-03-2007, 06:38 PM   #17
nang3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPcoupe
But best of the best graphic card is over $1000 by it's self. a good normal graphics card is $300+, your computer might start the games but I am sure they are no running fast enough to play decently.

I would just rather a PS3 that you turn on and plays any game released for it. instead of upgrade very 6 months due to a new game being released.
ive got a crappy 7600GT for about $200 and it runs most newish stuff pretty smoothly - Riddick, Fear, Doom3 etc...

i think il stick with my PC and xbox 360 (when the HD-DVD and HDMI version comes out anyway)
nang3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #18
xrobx
Slammin'

The Xbox 360 is already HDMI compatible. You just need the cable and a HDMI telly.

www.bseries.com.au/xrobx
Old 19-03-2007, 07:14 PM   #19
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had the playstation 1 and 2 and loved them never liked the xbox but at $1000 and from what I have seen of them both I think I will go the 360 this time around might get a ps3 when they come down in price.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #20
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14A-Mclaren
Oh yay, xbox fan boys.
Hope that wasn't directed at me?
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #21
Kommandant
ED4LYFE

Due to the fact PC games are taking longer and longer to come out, are buggy and unsupported after release, i am also contemplating getting a 360. Just not 100% sure if i want to spend that much money.
Old 19-03-2007, 08:27 PM   #22
AEF_Silver94
Falcon obsessed

blu ray players are $1500, and the ps3 is ONLY $999, blu ray,ps2,best in todays gaming in ps3,its well worth it,cant wait till i get mine with motorstorm , tru next gen
AEF_Silver94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #23
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU_Carlos88
blu ray players are $1500, and the ps3 is ONLY $999, blu ray,ps2,best in todays gaming in ps3,its well worth it,cant wait till i get mine with motorstorm , tru next gen
Yeah, just a shame some people will buy them to play hgh definition movies - and find that they might only be able to get the high definition movies they want in HD DVD (and the vice-versa problem will exist for the 360 and HD DVD add on player). But at least with the 360, you can avoid the high cost and get a dual-format player instead. Those who buy PS3's might have to buy a HD DVD player as well in order to play all of their high definition movies. :(

BTW - there are blu ray players launching for around the same price as a PS3 and they will soon drop below the PS3 price tag. There will be dual format players available in the not to distant future in the same price range as the PS3 - this will hurt the PS3's percieved value IMO. Good luck to them, as to combat, I'm sure the PS3 will slash it's RRP. All good for the consumer
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 11:07 PM   #24
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan
Hmmmm maybe. I want to get Test Drive Unlimited on PS2 first though.

Anyone seen video of that? It looks insane.
Mate I wouldn't bother with the PS2 version of the game. Crap reviews are all I've been reading for the PS2 (cheap) version. Grab it on XBOX 360, or on PC if it's quick enough to play it, although it does require a pretty quick PC to play it properly.
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2007, 11:47 PM   #25
xrobx
Slammin'

The game play is pretty damn linear.

Only good thing is the huge island, and the sweet cars/visuals.

Could've picked a better location to be honest.

www.bseries.com.au/xrobx
Old 20-03-2007, 07:27 AM   #26
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms
Mate I wouldn't bother with the PS2 version of the game. Crap reviews are all I've been reading for the PS2 (cheap) version. Grab it on XBOX 360, or on PC if it's quick enough to play it, although it does require a pretty quick PC to play it properly.
Nah I don't really rely on game reviews. Like movies, usually when someone says it's crap, it's the other way around.

I don't have a XBOX 360, but my PC should be fast enough for it.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 07:52 AM   #27
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

www.smashmyps3.com
haha geez these guys do some stupid shizit
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 09:03 AM   #28
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

been watching kids play the PS3 at work for the last week, graphics are pretty impressive on the games they had on
Old 20-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #29
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Give it not too long and im sure there will be a ps3 emulator available for the pc for download !.

I agree consoles are a waste of time and money. This pc i am running now has lasted me the last few years easily , i have been able to run all pc games and emulators np's and most of the emulated games looked better on my pc than on the game console !.

The GT series of nvidia gfx cards are relatively cheap and even the cheapest 1 kicks a$$ gfx wise compared to 'any' console i have seen so far. A new pc can easily be built for under 1000 ! , easily ! - all that is needed most of the time is a new m/b , ram and gfx card , all the rest can usually be sabotaged from the old pc.

Nothing beats the high sharp resolutions of a pc game imo .

About the only good i see of them is that they are portable, and easy to take to a mates house to do some gaming if needed.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2007, 02:38 PM   #30
TheAnswer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Axe
Won't get one until the new Gran Turismo is released...
If you buy a PS3 you can download Gran Turismo HD for free

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob-xr6
The Xbox 360 is already HDMI compatible. You just need the cable and a HDMI telly.
Well actually the 360 doesn't have a HDMI connection, although I do believe the hd-dvd add on which is coming out shortly does have a HDMI connection so that is extra money to spend on top of the cable just to get HDMI.

* I'm not a Sony fanboy, I just want to clarify some misconceptions some people have
TheAnswer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post