Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-11-2006, 09:38 AM   #1
fast gt

Default help with puppy

I know this doesnt have anything to do with a car thread but how do you stop a puppy from whining at night cause i brought a puppy sat and she hasnt stopped whining at night. if i go see her she is quiet but as soon as i leave she starts again, i slept in the lounge with her and didnt hear a noise out of her ive tried putting a teddy with a ticking clock under it but that doesnt work ive also put toys and food in the room with her any help would be great cause i miss sleep

fast gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 09:48 AM   #2
nat_daly
Nat D

dont give her attention when she whines, or you'll be the one whining, when every time for the next 3 years you put her to bed and she'll do it..if the dog can get you to come and give her attention by whining, what do you think she is gonna do?
Nat
old ride#1: ED XR6 5 speed-gone to new home:(
old ride#2:dumped EL fairmont 5l
new ride: Winter white AU2 XR8-manual
nat_daly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Tough love champ.

Unfortunately what you're doing (prob what most of us would do lol) is positively reinforcing the behaviour!
Old 07-11-2006, 09:59 AM   #4
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How old is she?

The problem with getting a new pet is sometimes they are going to miss their own family (be it from a pet shop or whatever).

It is really trial and error, but as said, don't go to her every time she is whinging. She learns that this gets her attention and she will annoy the heck out of you for umpteen years to come if you start that now.

It hasn't been that long if you only got her on Saturday, so just keep ignoring her and in time she will learn that she needs to go to bed and be quiet..

Get in contact with your local vet clinic and see if they do puppy training because that might be a great place to bond and to tire her out (plus the awesome professional advice you will receive will be well worth it).

Good luck and hopefully things settle so you can enjoy your new little family member
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The following has worked very well for me for my last 2 dogs (both Border Collies) and was recommended by a breeder/trainer. I'm sure many other people will have different methods - and there is a lot out there that work - this is just one:

Very young puppy - let it sleep in your bedroom the first few weeks next to your bed (newspaper down of course), until it feels comfortable with the house and its surroundings (it will feel protected next to your bed). After that time give it a room/space further away from you with some rubber toys for company. Then after a few more weeks, when it feels comfortable there move it outside (if it is an outside dog) or wherever its permanent bed will be.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
fast gt

thanks im tempted to make a room in the shed and leave her there overnight ill make it so it is warm
Old 07-11-2006, 10:05 AM   #7
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We got a puppy a fortnight ago, she whined all night for 3-4 days but every night she get's better and now she's quiet all night. The first few days you think it'll never stop. Just ingore her and by the end of the week your puppy will be much quieter.

We left Keira in the Laundy for a week now she's outside in her kennel.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
fast gt

she is a border collie cross kelpie and she is 5 weeks old
Old 07-11-2006, 10:09 AM   #9
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast gt
That explains it - border collies love people, they absolutly hate being left out of anything. On the bright side they are very easy to train due to their intellegence.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:13 AM   #10
fast gt

thanks for your helpful hints guess im going to have to buy earmuffs lol ill try it and see what happens at the end of the week
Old 07-11-2006, 10:14 AM   #11
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whoa! That thing is gonna have some ENERGY!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #12
fast gt

Tell me about it she tries and rounds me up all the time also should i let her sleep so much during the day and just wondering if its ok to leave her outside during the day
Old 07-11-2006, 10:21 AM   #13
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you ever decide that you don't want it, I could take it off you hands!

Old 07-11-2006, 10:22 AM   #14
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Tell me about it she tries and rounds me up all the time also should i let her sleep so much during the day and just wondering if its ok to leave her outside during the day
At 5 weeks old I wouldnt be leaving it outside (unless it was in a bulletproof pen with shade).

Old 07-11-2006, 10:23 AM   #15
fast gt

Haha thats ok i think i will keep her i just have to grow some paitientsplus the misses will kill me if i give her away
Old 07-11-2006, 10:30 AM   #16
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Haha thats ok i think i will keep her i just have to grow some paitientsplus the misses will kill me if i give her away
lol I know what you mean! These dogs need lots of activity (physical and mental) - buy a shiteload of rubber toys to keep her entertained when you are not home and she will be fine.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #17
fast gt

we also have another border collie but he is crossed with a corgie so we know bout the energy lol she keeps trying to round him up but he is a bit of a grumble bum and keeps growling at her
Old 07-11-2006, 11:00 AM   #18
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Get an old T shirt or jumper and place it in the puppies bed. It will smell like you and will help. A good sized soft toy also helps just like it does with a kid, helps even more if it smells like you, sleep with it a couple nights before you put it in with the pup. Wont you look cute.

Feed the pup just before bedtime as the food will help them sleep. To ensure she eats, dont feed her snacks after her previous feeding.

Also make sure you play with her just before bed to try and tire her out. Rope tug of war seems to work for my boy.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 11:06 AM   #19
fast gt

ill try that cause i cant walk off with out her crying and hunting me down
Old 07-11-2006, 11:15 AM   #20
fast gt

was thinking about taking her out the laundry and putting her in the top room
Old 07-11-2006, 12:41 PM   #21
rodderz

It's just the way puppies are, they are just the dog equivalent of a toddler, they want attention and will whine and sook if they cant see their owner

Our puppy is about 22 weeks now pretty obedient but he was doing the same thing when we first got him and put him in the laundry. Ended up putting him on the bed with us but you have to make sure you get him up to go outside to the toilet during the night. Spend the time with them training and make sure you reward after they do good and tell them off when they do bad and they end up learning pretty quick
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 12:53 PM   #22
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The pup we got, has been sleeping in my bedroom, since the day we got him (Which will be 3 weeks tommorow).

He's 8 weeks old now.

He doesn't whine, only when he wants to go to the toilet.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #23
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Quote:
I know this doesnt have anything to do with a car thread but how do you stop a puppy from whining at night cause i brought a puppy sat and she hasnt stopped whining at night. if i go see her she is quiet but as soon as i leave she starts again, i slept in the lounge with her and didnt hear a noise out of her ive tried putting a teddy with a ticking clock under it but that doesnt work ive also put toys and food in the room with her any help would be great cause i miss sleep
As much as it hurts... The tough love is the best approach, you gotta leave her if she starts to cry.

Been in the same place when our little bloke arrived.. It took about 3 nights for it to stop.. The other thing the Vet told us, which did help, we started on night 2. Put a hot water botttle/heat bag thingy in the bed wrapped in a towel. Our little bloke would crash right on top of it and snore like a freight train.

Good luck ! Don't forget, its short term pain, many years of great times to come.

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 02:01 PM   #24
Sledgehammer
Banned

Quote:

5 weeks old......Too young Im sorry, even at 8 weeks. You could try the vet for a phermone plug in as well.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #25
fast gt

im just going to ignore her and tell my house mate he has to as well im going to put cotton wool plugs in my ears
Old 07-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #26
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer
5 weeks old......Too young Im sorry, even at 8 weeks. You could try the vet for a phermone plug in as well.
Agreed. We got our brats at 8 weeks old and they sleep in thier bed at the side of ours no worries. One's about 7 now and the other is only 3.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:06 PM   #27
fast gt

we got ours at 5 weeks cause the mother wanted to stop feeding and she was getting agressive i really apriciate the help
Old 07-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #28
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I gave up, Asparagus now has the run of the house.
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 07:37 PM   #29
Mrs B
Banned

Hi My Name is Paula I'm a vet nurse the best thing you can do for her is go down to your nearest vet clinic and ask them for a Pherimone infuser this is a plug in that works much the same way as a plug in home deodoriser, but instead of giving off a perfume smell this infuser gives off pherimones that only your puppy can smell.

These pherimones are what her mum gives off so she will feel safe and secure because she will be able to smell her mum.

You need to plug it in where she has access to it. It works better if you can confine it to one room in the house.

The product is called Feliway.
Hope this helps
Paula
Mrs B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2006, 07:42 PM   #30
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

I put mine in bed with me, shes fine.