Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-10-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
frost
Banned

Default Fires, Hot Weather, Be Prepared

Hi Ladys and Gents,

As a active member of the CFA and in a command role. I must urge you clean up around your property even if your in a city area, on the outskirts like ethlam, weribee, ect as look at canberra fires that was residental area.

This year is going to be a big fire season for us, look at today for example, there has been a fair few fires and fire restrictions aint even in

So be prepared and survive

more info www.cfa.vic.gov.au

frost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 06:16 PM   #2
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For those of us in the driest state in the driest continent: http://www.cfs.org.au/

And yes there are fire bans in effect today in SA.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #3
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People also need to have an evacuation plan should fire engulf their home. THey also need to be aware of relief shelters should they suffer.

It isn't likely, but it does happen.

It's unfortunate that many fires are still deliberately lit. People who burn people's houses down, an indirect consequence of starting a bushfire, should allow the victims to burn the perpetrators house down, along with all their possessions and heirlooms that can never be replaced.
It's harsh, but maybe they'll appreciate the irreversible damage they've caused through their irresponsibility.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
BA Bakes
It's Cat huntin season...

Some very good points above. I have hear people around here, Southern NSW claim that there is nothing to burn due to lack of rain and winter growth in the grasslands areas and should be quite season. The truth is the bushland area in NSW, VIC, SA and QLD are extermely dry and pose a high risk.

Please, in area with bush (trees, etc) or bushfire prone land have a clear area or buffer zone between your homes and the bush and do leave it to the last minute.

Information regarding protection of home from bushfires, total fire bans, etc can be found on the web

NSW RFS
VIC CFA
SA CFS

To all fireies here, be safe this session when fighting the flames.

XRB055 - Black BA MkII XR8 Ute.
6 Speed manual, Leather seats, hard lid.
To do list - Cat back exhaust, new wheels, new shock and front sway bar, and whatever else seems like a good idea

Old Ride
XR40RD - Phantom BA XR6
160 rear wheel killer wasps - Pacemakers - 3" HiFlo Cat - 2.5 Redback exhaust - 18" Speedy Graphite Rims - Dumped on King Superlows - Standard ICC with iPod cradle, 5x7" Boston Acoustics, 12 Alpine sub powered by 4 channel Alpine amp
[/SIZE]

Last edited by BA Bakes; 04-10-2006 at 07:54 PM.
BA Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #5
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

In the Hawkesbury we already lost roughly 5 homes about two weeks ago to fires.

I was utterly gobsmacked when on last Sunday night we were called to a house North of Windsor who had a roaring fire of building material in their backyard, under a big gum tree, 30 metres away from dense bushland.

Gobsmacked when the firies called us over to prevent a breach of the peace. Why? Because these people were having a go at the firies who were there to put out the fire, a fire of; PVC, batts, treated pine and other bits of building material.

These people were disgusted that the RFS could just enter their property and put out a fire, that was entertaining a bunch of kiddies at the time! Alarms bells ringing! Not only did they put their neighbours at risk they also let the kids inhale the toxic garbage from their fire! Idiots!

Just a reminder, it's your responsibility to check fire bans, (enforce in my area since the start of September), the RFS has a right to enter private land to extinguish these fires. But most of all remember were you are living, Australia! So respect local conditions!

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #6
BA Bakes
It's Cat huntin season...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfords
These people were disgusted that the RFS could just enter their property and put out a fire, that was entertaining a bunch of kiddies at the time! Alarms bells ringing! Not only did they put their neighbours at risk they also let the kids inhale the toxic garbage from their fire! Idiots!
Some people shouldn't be allowed to breed :

XRB055 - Black BA MkII XR8 Ute.
6 Speed manual, Leather seats, hard lid.
To do list - Cat back exhaust, new wheels, new shock and front sway bar, and whatever else seems like a good idea

Old Ride
XR40RD - Phantom BA XR6
160 rear wheel killer wasps - Pacemakers - 3" HiFlo Cat - 2.5 Redback exhaust - 18" Speedy Graphite Rims - Dumped on King Superlows - Standard ICC with iPod cradle, 5x7" Boston Acoustics, 12 Alpine sub powered by 4 channel Alpine amp
[/SIZE]
BA Bakes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 09:11 PM   #7
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

Well I think people should be allowed 15 significant dumb acts, before their reproductive organs are forcibly removed.

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

It hit 38 in the Alice today. The biggest fire problem out here is black lightning.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
It hit 38 in the Alice today. The biggest fire problem out here is black lightning.
Now isn't that the truth...black lightning the worst fire starter there is.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #10
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Now isn't that the truth...black lightning the worst fire starter there is.
C'mon, c'mon, tell me.... what is it????
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #11
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
C'mon, c'mon, tell me.... what is it????
Black lightning is the term given to the black fella's that wonder around setting fire to everything. Once apon a time this was part of a hunting strategy that was used to help round up food.

For some reason some of these guys still do this around town. Go figure.
Old 05-10-2006, 05:06 PM   #12
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Just got a fire real close to our joint (300metres i suppose), our house wasnt at risk but others were. 30 degree day with Northerley winds makes a nasty mix.

The local link road to the F3 was shut off, just took me ages to drop an assignment off at Uni, as i had to go the long way. But atleast the fire is under control now, the road was a decent enough break.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 10:18 PM   #13
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ppl I reiterate if you are in an area that is even slightly close to the scrub/bush...have water in every container you can get your hands on,fill your bathtub,have lots of towels wet.

Clean out your gutters and anything that might go up at least 30mtrs from your house.

The reason for this is if the firies are refilling from the mains you will have very little supply so if there is a fire front within 10ks of your place fill up your water containers because you will get bugger all out of your tap when the firies plug in to refill.

And stay safe do not take risks.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 06-10-2006, 05:36 PM   #14
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Black lightning is the term given to the black fella's that wonder around setting fire to everything. Once apon a time this was part of a hunting strategy that was used to help round up food.

For some reason some of these guys still do this around town. Go figure.
Ahhhhh! The penny drops.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #15
leojvs
Ahh, its running again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozfords
In the Hawkesbury we already lost roughly 5 homes about two weeks ago to fires.

I was utterly gobsmacked when on last Sunday night we were called to a house North of Windsor who had a roaring fire of building material in their backyard, under a big gum tree, 30 metres away from dense bushland.

Gobsmacked when the firies called us over to prevent a breach of the peace. Why? Because these people were having a go at the firies who were there to put out the fire, a fire of; PVC, batts, treated pine and other bits of building material.

Just a reminder, it's your responsibility to check fire bans, (enforce in my area since the start of September), the RFS has a right to enter private land to extinguish these fires. But most of all remember were you are living, Australia! So respect local conditions!

Ahh, we firies cop a bit of flack now and again. Sadly, unwanted part of the job. We put out a car fire the other week (a VR VS) and it was parked right up against dence bush and waist high dead grass. Extremly lucky it didnt catch on.
I have heard stories of firies just pushing down gates when property owners wont let them thru.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:11 PM   #16
frost
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leojvs
I have heard stories of firies just pushing down gates when property owners wont let them thru.
We done it, bent a bullbar on a tanker (was told by DMO bullbar not good for pushing over anything) Basically we were on route to the station back from a job and we seen someone start a bon fire in the backyard. Gate was locked we asked them to open they refused, I radioed for police they stated 30mins so we just drove over the gate. At the end of the day, we didnt get in trouble due to it being a fire

New rule in victoria CFA now too i was reading the other day, not allowed to go over 130km/h in code one response something to do with a few coms vehicals being clocked at around 200km/h
Old 06-10-2006, 09:40 PM   #17
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by frost
We done it, bent a bullbar on a tanker (was told by DMO bullbar not good for pushing over anything) Basically we were on route to the station back from a job and we seen someone start a bon fire in the backyard. Gate was locked we asked them to open they refused, I radioed for police they stated 30mins so we just drove over the gate. At the end of the day, we didnt get in trouble due to it being a fire

New rule in victoria CFA now too i was reading the other day, not allowed to go over 130km/h in code one response something to do with a few coms vehicals being clocked at around 200km/h

When it comes to power to do things in a fire situation...the 'Fire Service Act' gives firies more power than coppers.

Might I suggest ALL firies make themselves aware of what the Act says you can and cannot do.

After thought each state/territory may be different.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 06-10-2006, 11:05 PM   #18
frost
Banned

Yeah, well same with car fires in victoria, if its a car, on fire, or a rescue situation we have more power than police

Thing is we dont go busting into propertys all the time, on a day of TFB and theres a fire, it has to go out
Old 07-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #19
leojvs
Ahh, its running again!

Quote:
Yeah, well same with car fires in victoria, if its a car, on fire, or a rescue situation we have more power than police

Thing is we dont go busting into propertys all the time, on a day of TFB and theres a fire, it has to go out
or in te case I have heard of, if the property will allow access to a fire which is threatening property, then they need to have access
Old 07-10-2006, 11:05 PM   #20
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Look like summer is coming early this year. Its getting blardy hot in Alice already.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...1-1702,00.html
Old 08-10-2006, 10:25 PM   #21
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Look like summer is coming early this year. Its getting blardy hot in Alice already.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...1-1702,00.html

What, its getting hot in The Alice its only got to 38 wait till it hits 50.Then tell me its hot.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 08-10-2006, 11:51 PM   #22
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well your Isuzu tankers won't go over 100 maybe 105-110 tops anyway. As we all know their a commercial vehicle carrying it's near maximum weight.

As for most of the other light vehicle diesels you wouldn't get them over about 130/140 anyway.

Those tankers are not light vehicles, they don't exactly stop on a dime, beacons are for getting through traffic and red lights at a sensible pace, not to race down the road. Current SOPs in NSW suggest not greater than 30 over the posted limit, reduced for road conditions, density etc.

Last edited by Dave_au; 09-10-2006 at 12:06 AM.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 11:56 PM   #23
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
What, its getting hot in The Alice its only got to 38 wait till it hits 50.Then tell me its hot.

It cracked the 50 back in 02/03. Only been to 48 since then. But we might get lucky again this year and see the big 50 again. God bless air con.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:05 AM   #24
frost
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Well your Isuzu tankers won't go over 100 maybe 105-110 tops anyway. As we all know their a commercial vehicle carrying it's near maximum weight.

As for most of the other light vehicle diesels you wouldn't get them over about 130/140 anyway.

Those tankers are not light vehicles, they don't exactly stop on a dime, beacons are for getting through traffic and red lights at a sensible pace, not to race down the road. Current SOPs suggest not greater than 30 over the posted limit, reduced for road conditions, density etc.
We have had our 6spd Turbo Isuzu upto 140km/h, The new Hinos are speed limited to 100, its mainly operational vehicals such as hiluxs ect
Old 09-10-2006, 12:11 AM   #25
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We have had our 6spd Turbo Isuzu upto 140km/h,
Is it a FTS 750? What year?

You guys must have neutralled it if it's a new one.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 09:38 AM   #26
frost
Banned

Its around 6years old now, it was a prototype only 5 ever realised into the CFA the rest were 5spd NA Diesels