Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-09-2006, 04:48 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Setting up a wireless internet connection?

Hey

Im moving house next week, and I am looking at installing a wireless internet connection as I CBF'd having cables running everywhere.

I know a tiny bit about computers, so dont hold back, what is exactly needed?

I figured a router, and then some wireless cards of some type. We have two PC's and one laptop.

If you have any ebay links to parts then thats cool too.

Thanks in advance! :

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
Twisted
Contributing Member

Generally just a wireless router connected to your modem and then wireless cards for your pc's/laptops mate. Ive used both Netgear and Linksys hardware in the past and I found Netgear was probably the easiest to configure. If you get the same brand cards and router then usually all you pretty much have to do is install it all, search for the network and connect to it and then sit back and enjoy.

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted
Generally just a wireless router connected to your modem and then wireless cards for your pc's/laptops mate. Ive used both Netgear and Linksys hardware in the past and I found Netgear was probably the easiest to configure. If you get the same brand cards and router then usually all you pretty much have to do is install it all, search for the network and connect to it and then sit back and enjoy.
Ah ok cool.

I thought that the router is the modem? If that makes sense.

So it goes modem>wireless router>card?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-09-2006, 05:08 PM   #4
hamo
since the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Ah ok cool.

I thought that the router is the modem? If that makes sense.

So it goes modem>wireless router>card?
Get a router/modem all in one. Easier to set up.

Always Autotech
hamo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

OK So any idea on prices? I dont want the best but also dont want the homebrand stuff.

Also, the house we are moving to is an old Victorian style one, very boxy, is this going to be an issue?

Lastly, does everyone use a line filter? I haven't at the place we are renting at now and I have had dropping out issues, but the phone line itself isn't the best and I basically put it down to that.

I currently have a Netcomm NB3, it came with our ISP pack so I dont know if thats any good or not; usually the free stuff isn't that great.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

the best place to answers is the forums at www.whirlpool.net.au

Prices?? About $150 for an netgear (pretty good brand) adsl2+ modem/router (wireless and including VOIP port to plug your phone in for the awesome 10c untimed national calls)

Product page is here Product Page

Best prices for this model here Static Ice

And VOIP provider is here Engine

Yes, i seriously recommend using a line filter

$20 for most wireless cards for your PC from a computer fair

No, your house shouldnt be a problem with reception

ISP's rip you off with the equipment you get with them

Check out http:www.staticice.com.au for the best prices

You will love wireless, set up correctly it is way better than cables

MAKE SURE YOU SECURE YOUR NETWORK!!!

Last edited by 05MkIIFutura; 21-09-2006 at 06:20 PM.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 06:41 PM   #7
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

haha war driving is fun

we have a wireless network set up here, it's actually easier to setup than most people think...

probably best brand in my opinion is the Dlink one, for transferring files is ok.. you go play a game and if you're not in direct view (in my case) i always will get spike lag ever 3 minutes or something.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 06:51 PM   #8
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

i have the Netgear 108mbps wireless router, also has the 4 lan ports, been a good unit, got it for about $180 from memory last year, and goes quite far.
I hadnt configured the wireless access list properly when i got it , and a neighbor up the road said her laptop logged in no worries and signal was strong.
Old 21-09-2006, 06:53 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
the best place to answers is the forums at www.whirlpool.net.au

Prices?? About $150 for an netgear (pretty good brand) adsl2+ modem/router (wireless and including VOIP port to plug your phone in for the awesome 10c untimed national calls)

Product page is here Product Page

Best prices for this model here Static Ice

And VOIP provider is here Engine

Yes, i seriously recommend using a line filter

$20 for most wireless cards for your PC from a computer fair

No, your house shouldnt be a problem with reception

ISP's rip you off with the equipment you get with them

Check out http:www.staticice.com.au for the best prices

You will love wireless, set up correctly it is way better than cables

MAKE SURE YOU SECURE YOUR NETWORK!!!
jeez thats some great info, I really really need to do a uni assignment so ill read into it more later. :

I quickly skimmed over the VOIP thing, whats the catch? 10cent calls unlimited is pretty bloody good!

$150 for a router/modem/VOIP is really good, I was thinking around the $300 mark, awesome!

How do I make sure the network is secure?

Ill check it out more soon, thanks again!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-09-2006, 08:41 PM   #10
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

i really really need to go cook some steak and snags on the bbq and enjoy a fair few (10+) melbourne bitters now but i will be happy to help you out soon!!
Old 21-09-2006, 11:12 PM   #11
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you know about IP addresses Mac Addresses, Encryption, Firewalls and generally how a wireless network operates ?

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #12
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto
Do you know about IP addresses Mac Addresses, Encryption, Firewalls and generally how a wireless network operates ?
Setting up a home network does not require an in depth knowledge of these things. Unlesss you are using fixed IP addressing and using mac address filters as a form of security. But anyone using wireless should get to know about using encryption (WEP for example).
Old 21-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #13
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Mines a Netgear system, both ADSL firewall router and the PC card for my laptop which I've had for well over a year now. Works really well.
Takes a bit to set the advanced security settings so they communicate between eachother, but worthwhile in the end. you can watch TV or sit outside and have the laptop on Ford Forums at the same time.
You could even set up all 3 computers on the one router, as well as a printer (needs a driver) but you'll also need the PC adapter for the wireless PC.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 10:52 AM   #14
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hit up ebay for a netgear w???????gt or something like that. << its the best modem/router around (best quality and easiest to use) also if you get the bigger antenna you can get signal about 2 blocks or more away.

buts its modem into router, or modem/router, and wireless cards in PC's.

just use the xp wireless connection wizard (only with XP SP2 i think) and just setup the network to your router.

make sure you set a WEP with small case, uppercase and numbers as your password, you dont want to give out free internet do you?

also mac adress filtering, set router as DHCP (easiest and most efficient way)
and away you go.

if you need extra help on WEP's, DHCP, etc just PM me

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 11:33 AM   #15
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also check out the Billion range of modems. They are great and it seems to be the most recommended modem/router/VoIP/Wireless on Whirlpool.

The Billion 74x range. http://www.billion.com.au/product/voip/bipac7401vgp.php

As suggested, check out Whirlpool as there is plenty of information there. StaticIce is a great site for finding out where it is cheapest to get stuff from.
Old 22-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #16
Stealth00

Billion are the best modems I have come across by far and I have tried and setup Linksys, Dlink, Netcomm, Dynalink, Netgear etc.

As suggested using a WEP key is a great idea.
Stealth00 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #17
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll go along with Stelth00 on this I have a Billion 7300G wireless modem router firewall in one, its a great bit of gear, not as easy to set up as the D'Link but Ive had none of the packet errors and drop outs i have had with other routers and the securtys are so easy to set up its not funny

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 01:52 PM   #18
SirJuggsalot

exactly how hard would it be to run cables?

If the computers are pretty close together then I highly rec you do the cable option + Laptop on wireless.

But if you have the money to spend on wireless cards and you wanna have a play around with wireless I can understand
SirJuggsalot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 05:05 PM   #19
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Use an Edimax 7064+SG (108mpbs+) modem router here. Use it with VOIP and externally I use a 2.4Ghz parabola for extended range.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 07:59 PM   #20
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJuggsalot
exactly how hard would it be to run cables?

If the computers are pretty close together then I highly rec you do the cable option + Laptop on wireless.

But if you have the money to spend on wireless cards and you wanna have a play around with wireless I can understand
New house is on old victorian style one, with a long hall and rooms branching off it. the phone line is in the kitchen up the other end, hence why I want to give it a go.

Some great info guys thanks, ill read up on it this weekend and then buy something monday!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #21
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

If you're buying all new equipment it's a safe bet that it will all support the newest encryption method, WPA. Use that if possible. WEP is pretty easy to bypass.
Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 10:17 AM   #22
Nemesis737
Straight Six

Hey, I've got wireless runnin atm. Looked around and got this wireless router/modem and this card for the laptop. I'm pretty switched on with computer, but this was the first time that I set up a wireless network. Its pretty self-explanitory and has a set-up wizard for it, however getting into the security for it took me a few days to figure it out. Its got alright signal, but I've got the router on the other side of a 2-foot brick wall, so that weakend it alot... I know... I just havn't got around to moving it.

Its probably best to hunt around, theres a few sites that helped me out, and its not too hard to find info for it.
Nemesis737 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #23
n1kol1s
Starter Motor

Find out first if your new house suports adsl2+ first. You can find out this buy visiting http://www.internode.on.net/ and put your phone number there. If your curent isp does not suport adsl2+ and your plan has expired just rollover to a new isp . Im sure you will find one with a free adsl2+ modem free with a new connection. Some of them even give a wireless modem/router. It must be at least a 54g. You sound that you just want the Internet in all Pc'S so any basic equipment will do the job for you.
All the new routers have 4 ethernet ports aswell so pc in the same room can connect via ethernet. The laptop needs a usb dongle or a pcmcia wireless adaptor unless is a new one and have a build in wireless card. For best performance make sure all your wireless equipment are the same brand. Its easier to set up the security for e'm.
By folowing the quick setup instuction in the box you can access the modem/router and run the setup wizzard. The setup wizzard will help you to put a password to your router and assing a wep or wap security key. I use psk2-personal encryption (highly recomended) The ip's are automaticly configured from your routers dhcp so there is no need to muk around with those settings. You will need adsl filters for all the points that you use exept the one that your modem/router is connected too.
Aftr you install the wireless card or usb dongle on your router the windows xp will automaticly scan and find your wireless access point. Connect to it and use the security key or phrase you use to setup earlier your router and you are done!!!
Make sure that actualy when windows xp find your wireless access point is showing up with a padlock next to it... That means its secure.If not then you have to go again to your router and run the wizzard or setup the security manualy.
After you established the internet connection to your lap top and download netstumbler http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/ This will help you to place your router at the best posible position in your house. If you still have a weak signal were you want your laptop to be connected , consiter a higher gain anntenna preferably omni or a second access point setup as a wireless repeater for your signal in the other side of your house.
I would go and get my own equipment and join an Isp on there sortest plan so im not lock in a lenghty plan just in case i wanna move to another.
Enjoy
nikolis

http://www.melbournewireless.org.au/
http://www.whirlpool.net.au/
n1kol1s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 07:38 PM   #24
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Cool thanks heaps guys.

Just one question, and this is going to sound stupid. I haven't connected the phone line to the new house yet. If I want to use the VOIP phone do I have to get a phone line provider (telstra, optus etc)?

If I dont, will I have a number is what I am getting at; and therefore will I be able to use the VOIP.

Or do I just get the cheapest service form a phone provider and then use VOIP for everythig else?

Im pretty sure I can get an ISP on the address without having a phone company aswell, is that right?

Dont laugh : .....thanks!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #25
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Assuming you are getting ADSL you WILL need a line. (If you want to get away without one, you will need wireless broadband. I dont trust VOIP enough and it is still too expensive to rely on a wireless connection)

Just get the cheapest possible - it think Telstra offer a pov-pack $18/month, with MASSIVE call rates (but you are gonna use VOIP so dont worry about it)

Now with someone like Engin, you can get either one or two way pack. One way pack enables you to only make outgoing calls on VOIP (this is what i use) and you can still recieve calls on the landline.

two way will give you a second number which means all incoming calls will come in over the net, but this has a few bad sides
> the number they give you is often only avail in Syd/melb so your nieghbours will be making long distance calls whenever they call you (not good)
> better letting incoming calls come in over the exisiting line anyway cause it makes no difference to the caller (unless they are using VOIP too and want the free calls) and keeps your bandwidth free for other stuff
> incoming calls may not be picked up if your net/power is down, so landline is better

So yeah, when you get a line connected at new house, you will get a number, and i would suggest using that and one-way VOIP.

** On a side-note, when you get your VOIP box (be it a dedicated unit or part of a router) make sure you set up dialling rules so that ALL 000 calls use the landline, not VOIP. this is cause they cant track your number on VOIP as easily and it is safer to use the landline.
Old 24-09-2006, 08:04 PM   #26
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Sweet thanks 05!

Definately getting ADSL, Im going to call engin tomorrow morning too! two way VOIP is almost useless as I dont know anyone who has it setup anyway.

So, with VOIP, do I have to choose to use it instead of the lanline service before every call?

I can stop hassling you if you like and just ask engin...lol
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-09-2006, 08:12 PM   #27
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

no you will have the router or adapter set up that it will always use the VOIP unless the call is some particular type (000, 1800 whatever you want).

DONT buy the router or voice boxes Engin will try and sell you. Why??

This box from engine http://engin.com.au/public/voicebox3.htm will set you back $300, while if you get it on the net from here http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/....cgi?q=WGR613V you will save half the price. This is def the hardware i would be looking at tho as NetGear is a good brand and that little unit incorporates a ADSL/ADSL2+ modem, a 4 port router, wireless access, and VOIP with sockets for two phones.

Only thing i might look for though is QOS (quality of service) which i dont know if this router supports.
Old 24-09-2006, 10:53 PM   #28
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

yeah the stuff these companies offer is usually poo from my experience.

LOL...ok another q, what is QOS?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-09-2006, 10:52 AM   #29
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ok so is this one anygood?

I know its a 73, not a 74. Only problem is that it doesn't say if it does Voip or not :/

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Billion-BiPAC...QQcmdZViewItem
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 25-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Also I found this one, but one static ice its says its $159, but click on the link and it says $272...what the?

http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/...rt=21&links=20

Number 34

edit: opps, one has a "m" on the end of the code, its a bit different but looks the same.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 25-09-2006 at 11:08 AM.