Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-08-2006, 09:46 PM   #1
Crapozo
Starter Motor

Default People say there are heaps of jobs, but how to find?

Hello,

I have recently started doing a course at tafe. I am LOVING it very much.
On the plus side i have heard from people saying this kind of career you has alot of job vacancies available. Before i tell you what this area is i like to ask one question.

I have never had a real job in my life before : . I have went through a few interviews before. The problem is i do not know where the best place to find jobs are? Are they the newspapers, the internet or do i have to ring companies up?
Could some of you tell me how is it that you came to getting your current job?

Now that question is said i like to ask another. The course i am doing is welding and like i said people say there are alot of vacancies but i do not know where i can find em? I have only been doing welding for like 6 weeks but i can't get enough of it and want to find a junior position. I know there are a few metal fabricators on these forums who could point me in a direction?

Now comes the car related question,
What material are care panels made out of?

Old 24-08-2006, 09:52 PM   #2
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

I can't answer your second question cause I'm not in that field. But to answer your first question...

"Where is the best place to find jobs?"
When I was in the market for a new job 2 years ago, I used recruiting sites like Seek and myCareer. I found that these had alot of listed jobs and it gives you an idea of how much jobs are paying and what the market wants at that point in time.

However, I found those websites to be like an internet dat!ng site... very one sided and sorta hard to get a response. Or is my internet dat!ng profile really that crap. :P Anyway, I found I got better responses by replying to job advertisements in the paper.

My current job though, I got by responding to an ad on TV. :P

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 09:58 PM   #3
Crapozo
Starter Motor

they broadcast job vacancies on tv !?
Which paper would you recommend?
Old 24-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #4
nitroman
nitroman

Get out there on foot and front the people you want to work for and ask them for a job. Be clean, neatly dressed and groomed, and have your resume on hand to show your credentials. Job agencies are generally useless (in my experience anyway) and it's easy for employers to say no over the phone, much harder face to face. Look up the metal fabrication shops you want to work for in the phone book or on the net and start to visit from the ones that you most want to work for to the least.
Also rock up early,like when they open. This shows you are keen and willing to show up on time and punch out the work.
Just get off your *** and do it!
By the way car panels are usually made of steel, but they can be made of fiberglass,carbon fibre,aluminium,plastic etc..
Good Luck!
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #5
Falcon_Phill
1967 XR Falcon

Newspapers, internet, advertisements, centrelink, theres a million places obviously not looking hard enough. One other thing is dont be so picky, if its your first job dont plan to find the perfect one first, im on my 5th job and im 20 and ive only just found it.
Old 24-08-2006, 10:14 PM   #6
Fingers
Ex EF Futura Driver

Everything Nitroman said...
Plus, take anything thats offered, as it seems to be easier to find a job when you already have one. (I think thats what Falcon_Phill meant)
Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 10:14 PM   #7
Kryton

i would suggest you get an apprenticeship. skilled labour is in short supply at the moment.
my GFs little brother did work experience at an engineering firm last year and ask them if they would take him on as an apprentice next year....they did.
doing the course you are doing is going to be a big plus when it comes to the 'hiring' time. it shows you are keen and dedicated and your not just there because you have to be.
sure the wage is crap for the first couple of years but after that youll never look back.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 10:15 PM   #8
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapozo
they broadcast job vacancies on tv !?
Which paper would you recommend?
Answer to question 2: Any paper that has jobs. It doesnt matter. But yeah, if this is your first real job, dont be too picky cause one of the things you want is to build up a reporting history. You want someone who employs you to say that you're tops. Then the next job you look for will be better cause they know you're good.

Answer to question 1: Yes they put job adverts on TV. 13 19 01 - Expand your horizons. lol

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 10:16 PM   #9
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A quick word of advice...you are doing welding....get your welding skills upto X-ray level and you will get a a job with any gas/oil company...and be on 100k/p/a.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 10:28 PM   #10
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Bingo coded welders ticket, if you pass that it doesnt matter how much experience you do/dont have pass the test and your in.
Im a plant mechanic by trade,C6 crane op with ewp,fork and b/hoe bobcat tickets, I have a poly welding ticket, course takes 3 days at around $200, and im on 130K p/a... stay outta the mining industry, theres more $$ in construction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 10:29 PM   #11
VooDoo
Lux-0-Barge Racing

The best jobs are the ones that are never advertised. In fact the ones you want is when they come looking for you and bribe you to come work for them.

In saying that, there are HEAPS of jobs for ppl that want to work. Id hire 3-4 ppl toomorow if i could find them.
Join #ls1 on irc.oz.org All Car Enthusists Welcome
VooDoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 11:08 PM   #12
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Woomera will be a gold mine for jobs soon, very soon. This will be Australia'a next boom town. This time it will probably last too. Oportunities will be high on the $$$ radar as well.
Old 25-08-2006, 12:05 AM   #13
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seek and CareerOne were 2 sites I used to find the job I got a year ago. They are good in that they list jobs that are advertised in a number of print publications.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 12:38 AM   #14
loosey

I am an aprentice metal fabricator myself and was in the same position as you 12 or so months ago. When i was looking for a job I went around to factories, and droped my resume of to them. I dropped my resume to at least 20 places and of the 20 I think atleast half offered me a position so I got to pick and choose my job. I ended up at a place that does Millitary work and havn't looked back since.

Ask your tafe lecturers because they will know of places and vacancies better than anyone. You can also apply with group training places (they hire you and pay you and place you in factories around the place). But i think its better to be actually hired by the company you are working for.

There are lots of jobs out there if you are willing to get your hands dirty and you have proven that you are, thats what an employer will look at.
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 08:51 AM   #15
knighto42

I agree with the 'get out there and door knock' approach. It shows you're keen and willing to put in the effort to find a job.

Pick an industrial area and spend a few hours dropping off resume's. Try to get to speak to the person who does the hiring too if you can.
knighto42 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 10:01 AM   #16
Crapozo
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionless_xe
I am an aprentice metal fabricator myself and was in the same position as you 12 or so months ago. When i was looking for a job I went around to factories, and droped my resume of to them. I dropped my resume to at least 20 places and of the 20 I think atleast half offered me a position so I got to pick and choose my job. I ended up at a place that does Millitary work and havn't looked back since.

Ask your tafe lecturers because they will know of places and vacancies better than anyone. You can also apply with group training places (they hire you and pay you and place you in factories around the place). But i think its better to be actually hired by the company you are working for.

There are lots of jobs out there if you are willing to get your hands dirty and you have proven that you are, thats what an employer will look at.
Which kind of factories did you actually goto, something like fencing building, or something like sheetmetal working factories?
Old 25-08-2006, 10:01 AM   #17
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

heres how i did it....found a job in paper (audio visual/IT sales) applied via email wrote the best damn app letter ive ever done, made my resume stand out which it did (i saw some of the others and well... i got the job so...) and also because i had never been in there i went in with a printed version then they rang me (was still sleeping) and said can you come in...5mins later got the job....3 or 4 weeks later i make about 300-400 take home per week and its the best job ever (3rd one)

so all you got to do is be enthusiastic about working for the people you choose, give them every option to say yes... so dress smart (dont wear a suit if your doing metal fab) but were something clean and presentable, brush/comb hair, brush teeth, wear shoes, use deodorant... and just be yourself so you have the confidence

good luck and remember to tell us how it goes

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 10:14 AM   #18
dan.76
always reading posts

ring companies and ask if they have jobs going
dan.76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 06:43 PM   #19
loosey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapozo
Which kind of factories did you actually goto, something like fencing building, or something like sheetmetal working factories?
Look in your phone book under metal, alluminium, stainless steel, fabrication, engineering etc and you will find the sort of factories you are after in your area. Also if there are aprentices that come in to your tafe talk to them and ask them about the places they work at and one of them might know about a vacancy.
loosey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #20
gtfpv
GT

go to industrial areas and go for a walk . go in and show yourself . it's the only way to get a start . ddont mention money . say you want employment in the field and are keen to learn .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 09:02 PM   #21
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
heres how i did it....found a job in paper (audio visual/IT sales) applied via email wrote the best damn app letter ive ever done, made my resume stand out which it did (i saw some of the others and well... i got the job so...) and also because i had never been in there i went in with a printed version then they rang me (was still sleeping) and said can you come in...5mins later got the job....3 or 4 weeks later i make about 300-400 take home per week and its the best job ever (3rd one)

so all you got to do is be enthusiastic about working for the people you choose, give them every option to say yes... so dress smart (dont wear a suit if your doing metal fab) but were something clean and presentable, brush/comb hair, brush teeth, wear shoes, use deodorant... and just be yourself so you have the confidence

good luck and remember to tell us how it goes
you are happy with 300-400 per week? you should get into consruction you would be happy with 1300-1400 per week
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post