Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-08-2006, 12:47 AM   #1
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Default Going to War

One of my many hobbies is World War Two Military Re-enacments.

I am a member of the Geelong Military Historical Society and this weekend on the other side of Geelong we are having a living history weekend.

The guts of it is we all play soldier. We normally put on shows for the public, such as Avalon airshow in the past etc but this weekend is all about us trying to recreate a little bit of history.

The goals of our group are for education and entertainment.

Basically we set up and recreate WW2 battles usually based on those the Aussies fought in the Western Desert against Rommel.

Our unit owns WW2 trucks and jeeps,tanks, 25 pounder artilley pieces, mortars, bren gun, vickers machine guns, MP40 smg's, bazookas, rifles etc. We dress up in the proper uniforms. I play a Wermacht Soldier DAK Sgt. We use blanks and a lot of pyro technics.

So this weekend I will be letting off a lot of loud bangs, running around yelling terrible german, sleeping in trenchs over night and wont be on the forum.

I hope you all have a great weekend too........... :

Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 12:58 AM   #2
TheChemist
Starter Motor

awwww sounds fun, my weekend is full of work, wanna swap?
TheChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 01:23 AM   #3
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Good Stuff , Redrum,
I'm interested in this type of history , good to see you guys have a lot of the old equipment . I wish I could find my dads old truck , it was a "Ford Blitz" sold when he sold the farm in 1970 . He bought it Brand New in 1946 (a guy in Sydney was shipping them out here & assemblying them) . When we sold the farm it had 16,000 miles on it (Flathead V8), & as he was a mechanic/driver in the army , kept it in perfect condition , guess what , it got auctioned off for $175.00 (crying shame) . What would it be worth now ?
I've also got some of his old army gear (kit bag , belts , badges etc) and when I moved back to the country , bought an old Lee Enfield (Licence to cover) cheaper than I could buy a .22 (gives the foxes hell)

Have a good time , mate

(Home made cab , learnt to drive in this at 8 yrs old)

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"

Last edited by normxb; 04-08-2006 at 02:00 AM.
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 08:51 AM   #4
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds awesome, I watched one of these reanactments and was interesting even as a spectator.

I hope your next project is to re-inact the battle of Ghettysburg with helper monkeys.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 09:26 AM   #5
Chris
AFF.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
One of my many hobbies is World War Two Military Re-enacments.

I am a member of the Geelong Military Historical Society and this weekend on the other side of Geelong we are having a living history weekend.

The guts of it is we all play soldier. We normally put on shows for the public, such as Avalon airshow in the past etc but this weekend is all about us trying to recreate a little bit of history.

The goals of our group are for education and entertainment.

Basically we set up and recreate WW2 battles usually based on those the Aussies fought in the Western Desert against Rommel.

Our unit owns WW2 trucks and jeeps,tanks, 25 pounder artilley pieces, mortars, bren gun, vickers machine guns, MP40 smg's, bazookas, rifles etc. We dress up in the proper uniforms. I play a Wermacht Soldier DAK Sgt. We use blanks and a lot of pyro technics.

So this weekend I will be letting off a lot of loud bangs, running around yelling terrible german, sleeping in trenchs over night and wont be on the forum.

I hope you all have a great weekend too........... :
Bloody Germans lol
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
whiskieboy

So where abouts Redrum?? Can I come and watch?
whiskieboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 05:39 PM   #7
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow you have some pretty impressive equipment there. You will have to post some pics of your weekend.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 05:55 PM   #8
2002auxr6
Drunk!

Do u get to shoot asians?
2002auxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
Nappa
Impressive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002auxr6

there were no Japanese forces fighting on the African desert campaign.
They were mainly Brits, Anzacs, Germans, some french (pro nazi frenchies mostly living in Algiers) and italians.

I hope that is what you were refering to.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #10
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskieboy
So where abouts Redrum?? Can I come and watch?
This particular event is for participants only. When the group puts on our next public display I will post details.

I spent today building bunkers and pyrotechnic devices, wiring, burying 44 gallon drums etc...............
Old 04-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #11
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Don't mention the war!

mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #12
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Wow you have some pretty impressive equipment there. You will have to post some pics of your weekend.
I am taking the digital camera and between battles I will do. The first order of the day is approximately 1 and a half hours of fire and movement battles including ambushes, some infantry minors tactics and firing of the 25 pounder guns. I do believe someone is filming also.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:37 PM   #13
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Don't mention the war! :ymca:
LOL, for some reason photo didnt show before!!
Old 04-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #14
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
No one actually gets shot, it is all pretend. We do set off some bloody big bangs etc though and fire heaps of machine guns, drive tanks, you name it! Believe it or not one of our members, who plays a German is of chinese descent!
Old 04-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #15
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
LOL, for some reason photo didnt show before!!
Just quoting fawlty towers ;) Thought I'd clarify with an image link!

Sounds like you attend some great events! The planning and choreography behind these must be immense!

Have you ever decided to turn the tide, South Park style (when the confederates thought they'd kick the unionists' asses)?
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 08:58 PM   #16
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappa
They were mainly Brits, Anzacs, Germans, some french (pro nazi frenchies mostly living in Algiers) and italians.

The Vichy French weren't exactly pro Nazi, just as most of the allied forces weren't exactly pro Gaulle at the time.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #17
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
:
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2006, 09:53 PM   #18
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Just quoting fawlty towers ;) Thought I'd clarify with an image link!

Sounds like you attend some great events! The planning and choreography behind these must be immense!

Have you ever decided to turn the tide, South Park style (when the confederates thought they'd kick the unionists' asses)?
1997 Avalon Airshow we were allowed to win one battle!!! We always lose the war though :
Old 07-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #19
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am taking the digital camera and between battles I will do. The first order of the day is approximately 1 and a half hours of fire and movement battles including ambushes, some infantry minors tactics and firing of the 25 pounder guns. I do believe someone is filming also.
Cool look forward to seeing pics, studied WWII breifly when I was younger (wanted to know why millions gave there lives - I suppose) Read a couple of books written by actually soliders from both sides, its incredible what they went through.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #20
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No one actually gets shot, it is all pretend. We do set off some bloody big bangs etc though and fire heaps of machine guns, drive tanks, you name it! Believe it or not one of our members, who plays a German is of chinese descent!
I have a couple of buddies from Tassie who do this, maybe they are in your mob.

I remember supplying a MG34, MP181, M1908 Luger with snail, a couple of M1910 in 9mmK and MP38/40 replica some time ago for this stuff.

They always seem to have lots of fun.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2006, 04:19 PM   #21
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I am back, some minor wounds, sore neck, legs, back etc.

I will give quick run through on weekend. I am awaiting photos which will be supplied in coming weeks and I will also have some footage for those that are interested.

Approximately 1100 hours Saturday morning a convoy of allied vehicles set off from the farmhouse on the property down many of the pine tree flanked roads of the property. The convoy consisted of willys jeeps, white scout cars, a bren gun carrier, assorted trucks etc. Quite a few were adourned with vickers machine guns, browning .50 cal, browning machine gun, 30 cal etc. Mounted in the vehicles were approximately 35 allied troops.

The journey took them along 4.5kms of road. During the course of this trip, we the Germans, ambushed them in hit run delaying actions for nearly the whole trip. We carried a mixture of small arms such as mauser rifles, MP40 sub machine guns, mg34/42 light machine guns, a panzershrek, mines etc. Each time we engaged the enemy we forced them to deploy. They would hit us with infantry assaults and supporting fire from a 25 pounder artillery piece and mortars.

Not surprisingly this journey/battle took over three hours. This was non stop and I ran most of the way.

We then arrived at our pre prepared battle field. Consisted of trenches, bunkers fixed gun positions etc. We were suppossed to carry on the battle there but as some of the group were a little stuffed we decided to wait to night time.

The late arvo and early evening consisted of living history. We ate similiar rations in similiar conditions and set up camp, as close to period as possible. Some actually chose to sleep in the trenches later that night.

The evening battle was the highlight for me. We had over 100 parachute flares and as many smoke flares to illuminate the battlefield. The night action saw a german patrol probe the allied forward positions. The allies then attacked the german patrol forcing them back to their own lines. The allies were repulsed at the german lines and called in artillery. This basically resulted in a huge display of pyrotechnics. Explosions included 210 litre drums filled with gas buried under ground etc. Another highlight was a couple of huge speakers were set up with non stop sound effects of distant artillery and small arms fire to add atmosphere to all the noise we were making. Whilst I was in the pitch dark awaiting the allied assault this crescendo of noise made the whole thing really spooky.

The Sunday after sleeping on the cold hard ground the allies decided to assault the German positions. This started with another huge barrage, followed by an infantry assault with resulted in quite a bit of hand to hand combat in the trenches and the allies winning again :

All in all was a highly successful living history re-enactment weekend. This event is going to be an annual event hosted by the Geelong Military Historical Society. Next year will be bigger and better with more vehicles and tanks promised.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:33 PM   #22
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I have been to Gallipoli, ANZAC Cove, Lone Pine, The Nek, The Somme all over France and Belgium. The history of the places you visit bring a tear to your eye.

Hope you had a great weekend Red Rum.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2006, 10:34 PM   #23
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

But did you blow lots of stuff up :->
Old 08-08-2006, 11:15 PM   #24
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews
But did you blow lots of stuff up :->
We sure did. I just watched footage of a simulated bazooka attack on a bunker. Explosian took the roof off!!
Old 09-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #25
2002auxr6
Drunk!

Quote:
We sure did. I just watched footage of a simulated bazooka attack on a bunker. Explosian took the roof off!!
Hey mate how many asians did u shoot? out:
Old 09-08-2006, 02:14 PM   #26
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Hey mate how many asians did u shoot? out:

Quote:

Old 09-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #27
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

Hey Redrum,

a mate of mine just came back from a holiday, part of which he spent in England.

He went to the Bovington Tank Museum on their open day when they start and drive a lot of the old Tanks (including the last running German tiger Tank in existence).

He showed me the dvd he took of it, pretty interesting stuff.

Rommel was a very interesting character, old school with honour and all that stuff. He wrote a book on tank warfare. The problem was General Patton read it too.....
Old 09-08-2006, 02:25 PM   #28
hamo
since the beginning

sounds like you had an awesome time, i've always had an interest germany's war time
activities/battles/leaders etc. as a kid, i got excited over military style water and rock fights out: . I couldn't imagine what it would be like using explosives

how did you get involved in this? did you need any qualification or expertise?

Always Autotech
hamo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2006, 02:33 PM   #29
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamo
sounds like you had an awesome time, i've always had an interest germany's war time
activities/battles/leaders etc. as a kid, i got excited over military style water and rock fights out: . I couldn't imagine what it would be like using explosives

how did you get involved in this? did you need any qualification or expertise?
There are no real qualifications to become involved. The most important thing needed to fully enjoy an event is a shooters licence. The rest comes from what people can give to the group. We have a mixture of people from lecturers, lawyers, police officers, mechanics, teachers, ex military, sparkies you name it. We all have in common an interest in history, specifically WW2. Some of us a lot more than others. Some in the group will build from scratch using scale models as reference full size working vehicles of the period. Others will design and build gas firing machine guns etc etc.

In relation the pyrotechnics we use, no member from our group or a visiting group has yet to see other groups world wide do what we do. A lot of explosians, big bangs, concussion, smoke and dirt falling down around you does I suppose add to the experience.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:40 PM   #30
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry 351
Hey Redrum,

a mate of mine just came back from a holiday, part of which he spent in England.

He went to the Bovington Tank Museum on their open day when they start and drive a lot of the old Tanks (including the last running German tiger Tank in existence).

He showed me the dvd he took of it, pretty interesting stuff.

Rommel was a very interesting character, old school with honour and all that stuff. He wrote a book on tank warfare. The problem was General Patton read it too.....
Bovington I do believe every July run the worlds biggest WW2 re-enactment event with over 100000 people attending. Though the level of vehicles present is most impressive they use little in the way of pyrotechnics limiting it to some blank fire and flares in tank barrels. I don't know about the Tiger but do know the mock up Tiger used in Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers is based there. A T34 was used as the base. Is most impressive.

I am an avid reader of Rommel. He was most forward thinking in his African campaigns with his level of mobilised warfare. His efforts also in writing of infantry tactics brought him to the attention of Adolf Hitler who put him in charge of his security for a time. Rommel, although the enemy, was generally respected by his foes. He was a man of honour. He disobeyed Hitler's order to shoot British Paras for example. He was a career soldier with many brave exploits under his belt and he paid the ultimate sacrifice to protect his wife and son.