Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-04-2006, 11:01 PM   #1
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Default PC Question : Sharing Internet Access

Can anyone tell me what I need to buy so I share my adsl connection between my pc and my g/f's laptop.

Is it a wireless router I need ? If so what brand and how much would I likely need to spend to get it all going ?

Sharing my pc(which has my net connection) isn't an option :

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 11:05 PM   #2
jmc-007

what sort of setup do you have now.

is it just an ADSL modem connected to your pc.

if it is just connected to your pc.

A. Does it use a USB Connection
B. Does it use a LAN / Ethernet Connection
C. Does it have both a USB and a LAN port.

If B or C are yes than you can do the following:

1. Buy an ethernet hub and share the net off the modem. (most laptops have a ethernet conection built in, maybe not)

2. buy a wireless router and card If the laptop doesnt have one.

3. give some more info.

James :
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 11:06 PM   #3
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

wireless router would do the trick, make sure the laptop has wireless capability built in or you'll need to get a wireless card for it ($45ish), like what i'm doing right now. (i'm in the lounge on the laptop, via wireless). Or you can get a standard router and physically wire the laptop into it, but will lose portability of the laptop obviously. Wireless router will be around $90ish. I've got a netgear router and wireless card, total was about $140 a year or so ago, works a treat. Also make sure the ADSL modem has ethernet port out, some only have usb. I'm running the cable modem into the router, then two computers are wired into the router, this one runs via wireless. Pretty simple to set up.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

I am selling a wireless card for a laptop on ebay if your interested $45.00 brand new

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MESE%3AIT&rd=1
djjase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2006, 09:31 AM   #5
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

Yeah, well...depending on the circumstances.

1. Buy a 4/8 port switch (if router is ethernet). Plug router into switch and plug computers into switch. Cost around 30 - 50 bucks.

2. Buy a router with 4 ports. I have an old Netgear firewall router with four ports - its fantastic. No idea what that would cost.

3. Buy a wireless router. I've got a 108mbps wireless routers/pcmcia setup at home which is really good. Otherwise, buy a standard 54mbps router. If your girlfriend has a newish laptop, chances are she has wireless built in.
Old 20-04-2006, 12:34 PM   #6
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

One thing...If its ADSL2...which is pretty much anything higher than a 1.5Mb connection, (aka broadband 2) You need to make sure your Router is compatible.
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #7
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I ended up scoring a D-Link wireless router. ADSL2 compatible + inbuilt firewall and other goodies. My g/f's laptop does have wireless connectivity so I can save some dough on a wireless card.

I should have the router soon.

Another question....as far as setting it up so people can't wireless-ly hijack your broadband access, is it just a matter of password protecting the connection ? Are there specific programs you use for extra safety ?

And what about if you're downloading through p2p programs ? Does the router's firewall need any special configuring (my normal firewall didn't) ?

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post