Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-03-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Tattoo artists around Lilydale.

Hey guys, looking at going in to get a tat next week when dad goes in. Just wondering if any of you guys around this area (lilydale, Melb) have had one done and where you went?

Is the one on mainstreet lilydale just over the railway line (can't remember the name) just going up the hill to chirnside any good? Dad's booked an appointment in there anyway, so I can just talk about what i'm getting etc and I spose I can see what they're like.

Cheers.

Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

The joint you're thinking of in Lilydale is called Body Language. While there may be people that tell you otherwise, my opinion is to steer clear of them. I know a couple of people who've been there and aren't happy with results. Also, a few of their prices have been inconsistent. One mate of mine went there and needed a lift, so I drove him down and sat around to watch. The bloke who did the tattoo picked up the phone twice and went straight back to the tattoo. That caught my attention more than anything. Didn't change gloves and I can't imagine that phone would be too sterile. I don't know how many people work there, but all the work I know of that's been done is by some young looking bloke with orangey-looking hair and some piercings on his face. I wouldn't recommend him at all. However, if there's other tattooists who work there, they might be different.

Most people I know use Purple Haze in Narre Warren. Some travel from Lilydale and Mooroolbark. Most say it's the cleanest, most pleasant looking tattoo joint they've seen. The work is amazing, prices aren't too bad, and the amount of trophies on the walls are ridiculous. Yes, it's in Narre, but most people don't seem to fussed about traveling for the quality of the work. Keep in mind that a tattoo is something you have to be happy with for the rest of your life.

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Woz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 02:38 PM   #3
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

You can try Adam at PRO INK in croydon he did alot of my work and most of it free hand at that. If not you can try Colin Gower at VIC MARKET TATTOOS but not sure if he tattoos anybody or if you have to know him.
agony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #4
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Body Language used to be in Frankston, if it's Graham iles he's very good, personally i go to Purple Haze in Narre Warren, Mick is great.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 02:43 PM   #5
302donk

bite the bullet and come up to bendigo to King of rings the guy (lee) that does my tats is awsome its worth the trip, but Purple Haze are good i have seen a bit of there work at tattoo shows and its damm good
www.myspace.com/2v_clevo_donk
302donk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz
The bloke who did the tattoo picked up the phone twice and went straight back to the tattoo.
And your mate didn't say anything? :
Gee the first thing I would have said was, change gloves thanks...
Why risk ruining your skin because of someone else's laziness!!!
I asked to watch them before I first used the tattooist I do, they were happy for that (as long as the customer was, which he was)..
I have several now and never really had a major problem (except when my skin decided to react in a weird way - humidity etc)...
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Ive had about 100 hours and yes had the phone answered several times but he just uses paper towel over his hand too plus each customer at the start he wraps phone in glad wrap so NO STRESS there at all.
Old 13-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #8
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by agony
Ive had about 100 hours and yes had the phone answered several times but he just uses paper towel over his hand too plus each customer at the start he wraps phone in glad wrap so NO STRESS there at all.
See that's the difference.. care was taken.. where as woz didn't say that precautions were taken.
It's not hard for them to do as yours did agony, but sadly there are those in that industry that don't seem to care as much.
Old 13-03-2006, 03:00 PM   #9
302donk

my tattooist changes his gloves almost every half hour the hole place is spotless,
if it not clean and people complain why dose'nt the health department close the shop down or fine it????
Old 13-03-2006, 03:03 PM   #10
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302donk
if it not clean and people complain why dose'nt the health department close the shop down or fine it????

Yes I was kind of wondering that myself... but then sometimes people think along the lines of "can't be bothered" or "let someone else do it"..
Old 13-03-2006, 03:05 PM   #11
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Quote:
The guy I referred to is actually the brother of my best mate. He's not much of a thinker. He said nothing, said afterwards that he was never even aware of it. I pulled the tattooist up on it after he went back to the job. Twice. No paper towel, nothing.

I had Matt at Purple Haze do a three hour job on my leg. After answering the phone (which was wrapped in glad wrap) and changing guns, he used something like seven or eight different pairs of gloves. A new pair everytime he touched something. Everything there is wrapped in glad wrap.

Old 13-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #12
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Kewl. Well I think the guy that owns the body language places is meant to be good, not sure about all the other workers though. I've seen some of the owners work and it's pretty damn sweet. Cos dad's going in as well, I might just talk with the guy first about the design etc and watch how he does dads. If it's clean, and well done I might get mine done then. If not, i'll look around.

So Pro Ink in Croydon is good then? I'll check em out, as well as purple haze. There's also one in richmond (dynamic) and one in gertrude st Fitzroy i've heard good about.

I've also heard good stuff about Vic market from a few people.
Old 13-03-2006, 03:09 PM   #13
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I got mine done at Body Language in Lilydale back in 1999. Was done cleanly and the results are great but hey, dunno what they're like now.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 03:10 PM   #14
agony
BLOWN 383 CHEV OWNER

yes thats Trevor that ust to be in boronia he his really good
Old 13-03-2006, 03:11 PM   #15
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
I got mine done at Body Language in Lilydale back in 1999. Was done cleanly and the results are great but hey, dunno what they're like now.
Can you remember who it was done by at all?
Old 13-03-2006, 03:12 PM   #16
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fair enough Woz.......
bit of a worry for him not to notice though : mind boggles a bit !!

They should have been reported though.... or have they been before?
Old 13-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
Can you remember who it was done by at all?
Sorry no i can't, i do remember it was done by a guy with short dark hair, and a chick was watching as well...... wait maybe that wasn't the tattoo thing... nah i'm kidding. The chick was watching as i think she was an apprentice or something. I've just got a relatively small black tatt, but it's complex in it's design, so took a bit of dexterity to do right, and it looks good.
Old 13-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #18
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fiery, if you don't mind my asking (or if I missed it), where'd you get yours done?
Old 13-03-2006, 03:17 PM   #19
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by popinfresh
Fiery, if you don't mind my asking (or if I missed it), where'd you get yours done?
I didn't say cos its no help to you :
I'm in Qld, but a place called Shades of Grey... awesome work, awesome workers............. I have a file there with the rest I want done that they have drawn up and priced already...........
Old 13-03-2006, 03:19 PM   #20
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

Quote:
Fair enough Woz.......
bit of a worry for him not to notice though : mind boggles a bit !!
He's a bit of a dropkick. That's why he's "my mates brother", more than he's "my mate". Don't know if they've been reported before. There is another issue that I believe should be reported, but I don't know if I should be posting it up here. Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near Body Language. Just me though. Not badmouthing the business, just stating my personal issues with the professionalism of one employee.

Old 13-03-2006, 03:21 PM   #21
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz
He's a bit of a dropkick. That's why he's "my mates brother", more than he's "my mate". Don't know if they've been reported before. There is another issue that I believe should be reported, but I don't know if I should be posting it up here.
Woz that just totally cracked me up (the dropkick etc part)..
but on the other, no I wouldn't be posting it in a public forum if you haven't reported it.. well not this part of the forum anyway..
But you can tell people in PM that would be your choice and if they asked..!!
Old 13-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #22
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol, fair enough fiery.

I might have a look at Purple Haze first if Body Language doesn't look up to it. I'm getting a very simple design though, small and plain black on the inside of my wrist. So as long as it's hygienic (sp?) and smooth lines, i'll be happy.
Old 13-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #23
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is this your first tat?
you do realise its probably gonna sting like a b!tch there dont you :
hope you like a bit of pain....
Old 13-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #24
302donk

inside of wrist thats going to sting hardcore dude, i got the top of one my hands done bloody stung like anything, good luck on the inside of your wrist dude
Old 13-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #25
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^Yep. And I realise that :p

The others ones I want to get are on the inside of my upper arm, and the top part of the back of my neck. Go figure.

They won't be done for a while though.
Old 13-03-2006, 04:29 PM   #26
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you had a dry run done?Just that you said you know, just wondering how much you realise!!!!!!! That would be the smart move eh...
some people think they can handle the pain but find out 5 minutes into it, they can't then they have this unfinished tat and are to wussy to explain why it's not finished (yes, I do know some people like this)...
and no I'm not saying you are going to be wussy :

So far I have the blue Ford logo, XR, and tickford wings.. oh and a unicorn (of course).......
Old 13-03-2006, 04:37 PM   #27
302donk

dont get it your arm pits done that stings too
Old 13-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #28
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Mine's on my shoulder, it didn't 'hurt' as such, i describe it more as a really ANNOYING sensation, makes you want to turn around and belt the tattoo artist ;p
Old 13-03-2006, 06:26 PM   #29
Hitman
Way over here

The shin doesn't tickle either.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #30
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
Mine's on my shoulder, it didn't 'hurt' as such, i describe it more as a really ANNOYING sensation, makes you want to turn around and belt the tattoo artist ;p
The ones on my arm (Ford, XR, Tickford wings) I would have described it as similar to that.. an irritation, almost like a scratch and slight burn....

but the unicorn one did hurt, not to bad, just a more than I realised :