Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-01-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default what shed to buy/build

I intend to buy a shed later this year and are planning on a 9m x 6m x 2.4m.
Some differences are a tilt up door, 2 roller door front or 1 double size roller door. I dont want the 2 sliding door front. The shed/garage will not be facing North (full sun) and I was hoping for some tips from members who have experienced the pros and cons and sheds. It is mainly for part workshop and storage. I dont intend to put a whole car in there but I may want to be able to have the front of a car in for working on in bad weather.
What do you suggest??
cheers to all

R.I.P. Jarrad 22/05/83 - 08/12/02
benoxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 07:10 PM   #2
MrSparkle
An Old Boss™©
Contributing Member

For that size I'd say go for one large roller door with remote. Makes a world of a difference being able to run stuff in to the middle of the opening and not have a stupid centre section forcing your entry and exit. Don't forget the little extras too like side doors, windows, lights, and whirlybirds.
Old 28-01-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
aimzes
...fairly odd

definatly get one big door and a couple of whirlybirds.
Old 28-01-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
XBCoupeGuy
XBCoupeGuy

Hi,

I built a shed last year and I am pretty happy with it.

It is 6M x 9M x 2.7M.

It is from Olympic Industries (Adelaide).

It has double sliding doors and a couple of skylights.

Price was $3600 delivered. Obviously roller doors cost more.

I went with the extra height and it didn't cost much more at all and it gives you an extra wall rail too which adds strength.

They supplied all plans for council approval too.

They wanted an extra $750 for colorond and an extra $1000 to erect it. (stuff that!!)

I put it up myself (dad gave me a hand) and spent $150 on paint and an airless sprayer and spray painted it myself. (council said it had to be painted)

The slab cost $2200 and I sealed it with a two part epoxy resin that resists oil and grease so spills wipe up easily without staining.
That cost $360 but is worth it. It's the stuff they use on the floor in big factories and apparently is good for ten years of forklift traffic. National Foods (Farmers Union) use it on their factory floor.

I looked at quite a few manufacturers and Olympic was the best on price and quality.

They use larger C-section than most of the other companies so it is stronger.

Here's a heap of pics for you to look at. Sorry about the Monaro and the HQ SS appearing in the pics but at least I've got my XB coupe in there to make up for it.

regards
Darren

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...d/Shed-038.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...d/Shed-043.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...d/Shed-044.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...d/Shed-050.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...d/Shed-051.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...d/Shed-053.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...d/DSCF0002.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...rogress-02.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...rogress-01.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...adytogo-02.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...adytogo-01.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...dfloorlaid.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...illedup-02.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...illedup-01.jpg
XBCoupeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 08:57 PM   #5
crusher
Dirty ute club member

The shed that was here when we bought our place is about that size.

If you have the room go a little bigger if you can. you wont regret it.

If i had my way, and the money, i would take down out shed, make the pad bigger and buy a barn shed. That way i would have a heap of room down the bottom. enough for 3 cars easy and storage. And upstairs there would be room for a rec room/kitchen/whatever.

Can only dream for now. Maybe when I get my own block. Itll be run off 3 phase of course. Nothing less. just silly these days.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2006, 11:41 PM   #6
XBCoupeGuy
XBCoupeGuy

There are also roller doors available where you have a removable centre section.

So you can use either roller door as normal or you can raise both doors and lift out the centre section and use the whole entrance.
Old 29-01-2006, 09:04 AM   #7
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks to all for the info. Great photos and info XBcoupe.
Of what I have seen so far, Olympic will probably be the go. The price sure adds up quick, I was planning on about $6000 even if I had them erect it!
Unfortunately I have to go with colorbond, thems the rules. The phase 3 power, skylights and whirlybird are worthy also. I'll go with the single large roller door, single entry door and the epoxy resin is a dam good idea. But at this cost, I may have to scale down a size, but at least I am armed with good information when I am trying to obtain quotes.

thanks again. A blokes got to have a good shed!

Old Grumpy
Old 29-01-2006, 09:24 AM   #8
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gees Darren thats one nice looking Monaro
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 02:07 PM   #9
XBCoupeGuy
XBCoupeGuy

Yeah, she's not a bad old girl. :-)

I can't wait till my XB coupe rebuild is under way. There will be plenty of pics posted on here for sure.

My council said I could either go colorbond or I had to paint it within 3 months. I would ask them about that as you will save around $500 all up.

What area (council) are you in. I'm in Playford council.
Old 29-01-2006, 06:15 PM   #10
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I may have to scale down a size, but at least I am armed with good information when I am trying to obtain quotes.

thanks again. A blokes got to have a good shed!

Old Grumpy[/QUOTE]

I'd save a bit more rather than compensate on size.. you'll only be upset with the end result if you go smaller.
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #11
benoxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will be in Onkaparinga council, but the restriction of colorbond only is not just the council, it's more from the developers that I have bought the land from. It evens states that the shed must not be painted (powder coated colorbond only, and only one colour). So I dont have much choice there XBCoupe. The details you gave are much appreciated. Are you thinking of putting in any racking/shelving?

That's a good point conordec. I chose that size because of what I need for now, and your right, I'll be disappointed later on when I come up with more uses for the shed. The shed will be there a long time, so I may have to slow down on the iced coffee drinks and the cigs!
Old 29-01-2006, 06:51 PM   #12
LTD351T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd go as big as you can afford, you never have enough space.

Use sarking under the roof cladding, then you get better insulation and no condensation problems, and you can line the ceiling later on if you want.
LTD351T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 07:16 PM   #13
Mondie
Firm member

Just built a standard 6x6m from Ranbuild. Fully assembled for $7600 which l think was ok especially since it has a higher ceiling heoght than lot of the others and it seems to be of good quality. Make sure you do the silver foil and wire as already suggested and to avoid it getting too hot try and go with light colourbond colours. Also recommend one large double door for better access.

l installed a couple of 1" conduits into the slab so l can install electricity when l get around to it too _2:
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 11:39 PM   #14
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why the hell are you going 3phase power...when all the tools you will ever want to use are 1phase.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2006, 11:40 PM   #15
XBCoupeGuy
XBCoupeGuy

I should have installed some sort of insulating foil but I didn't even think about it till it was too late.
I did however install conduit before the slab was laid.
I have plans to install shelving, racks etc but at the moment everything has simply been shoved in there so I can continue landscaping the rest of the yard.
I finished that last week so it's just a matter now of emptying out the shed and putting everything back in it properly. I have also built a smaller shed to get keep all the garden crap in like wheelbarrow, mower, shovels etc.
Can't have that stuff cluttering up the real shed.

How bout a few other people posting pics of their sheds so we can all suss them out. Nothing like having a peek in a well set out shed or even a messy one full of really cool stuff.
Old 29-01-2006, 11:47 PM   #16
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBCoupeGuy
I should have installed some sort of insulating foil but I didn't even think about it till it was too late.
I did however install conduit before the slab was laid.
I have plans to install shelving, racks etc but at the moment everything has simply been shoved in there so I can continue landscaping the rest of the yard.
I finished that last week so it's just a matter now of emptying out the shed and putting everything back in it properly. I have also built a smaller shed to get keep all the garden crap in like wheelbarrow, mower, shovels etc.
Can't have that stuff cluttering up the real shed.

How bout a few other people posting pics of their sheds so we can all suss them out. Nothing like having a peek in a well set out shed or even a messy one full of really cool stuff.
OK I'm game give me time to take pics and get 'Le Minge' to host.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 30-01-2006, 12:28 AM   #17
347Stroker
Banned

I am in the process of searching out shed suppliers for my place now. Looking for a 21mx9m for the workshop and a 10mx7m for the storage etc.
I will be watching this thread closely and will post pics as it all comes to fruition.
And John, 3 phase will be in my sheds...no single phase hoists readily available....or mills....lathes, tyre fitter and balancers.....lol
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 01:24 AM   #18
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pmsl...
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 08:08 PM   #19
Sporty Corty
1977 TE Cortina

Ok, I used to work for a shed manufacturing company and B&D Doors but have never built one myself.
So I can only tell you the things I would tell my customers,
Firstly you can have a RAD span 5mtrs without a center beam or industrial strength but you will loose 250mm height but your motor will be to the side of the door and not in the center of the roof.
A tilt-a-door you will loose around 50mm height but ur motor will be in the center of the shed. A standard 4WD will clear throught 2.1 but a lift kit you will need extra height through the door.
As for the shed itself that sounds like a really good deal especially if it's council approved $150.00 colourbond and installed $1500.00
Make sure the sheets are .42 thick and ur c section is to australian standards, also you want a bottom channel it will help with concrete and ground levels and make sure the posts are concreted into the ground at specification depths.
Also will it be a flat or gabled roof??? make sure the materials for the gabled structure are to the auss standard sizing for the width of the truss.

There are so many loop holes let me know if you have any questions oh and watch out for that contract its a killer!!!!!!!
Sporty Corty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2006, 10:48 PM   #20
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingMutant
I am in the process of searching out shed suppliers for my place now. Looking for a 21mx9m for the workshop and a 10mx7m for the storage etc.
I will be watching this thread closely and will post pics as it all comes to fruition.
And John, 3 phase will be in my sheds...no single phase hoists readily available....or mills....lathes, tyre fitter and balancers.....lol

You are going big time...good luck.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6

Last edited by Laminge; 01-02-2006 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:20 PM   #21
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK thanks to Laminge my shed is in.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 05-10-2006, 04:05 PM   #22
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

I work for www.shedsonline.com.au

get one off me!
Momo Gear Knob
Schmick Pioneer Headunit w/ Dolphinvision :
4 Channel Kicker Amp to decent speakers;
Alpine Monoblock to Pioneer Subwoofer;
Tuned to perfect clarity-

Outside:

Pure Sexy Falcon w/18" BA XR8 Factory Option Mags
Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Pedders lowered Sports Ryders all 'round
Extractors/Exhaust/Hi-Flo Cat
foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2006, 03:12 PM   #23
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go the Colorbond, once you paint it you will have to keep painting it every now and then to keep it looking good. Plus the Colorbond lifespan will be about double normal Tin