Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Default Places to live in Sydney

Hey guys and girls,
I've lived in Melbourne all my life but it looks like i'm probably moving to Sydney at the end of the year. The problem is not being a sydneysider, I don't know where to start looking for a house/apartment.

I mean I can just look at real estate site's and find places in my price range but I still wouldn't know if its in a nice suburb/area etc. I'm looking at spending between $300-500 thousand, depending on location/price.

I wouldn't mind living reasonably close to the beach, but this isn't the primary consideration and its just my girlfriend and I so the place doesn't have to be huge, however if we could get a house in a nice suburb (doesn't have to be at the beach) for this price that would be great to.

Oh and I'll be working in the CBD, so I can't be to far away. So yeah any ideas on what suburbs to start looking?

Thanks for your help in advance, Joel

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
pottsy44

rouse hill seems like a nice new area and they are building a t-way that goes right through to parramatta, so you could catch the train from there. nice area.

also in the blacktown area that is nice is stanhope gardens and ropes crossing. all the above should be in your price range.
pottsy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprjenkins
I wouldn't mind living reasonably close to the beach, but this isn't the primary consideration and its just my girlfriend and I so the place doesn't have to be huge, however if we could get a house in a nice suburb (doesn't have to be at the beach) for this price that would be great to.

Oh and I'll be working in the CBD, so I can't be to far away. So yeah any ideas on what suburbs to start looking?

Thanks for your help in advance, Joel
If you want to live close to the beach and/or city you will be looking at a unit for that money. Now is a good time to buy. For a house, at the absolute bottom end of the market, in the worst street in Matraville (8Kms for the city, walking distance to Botany Bay Beach) $510K for a 3 bedroom house that was passed in at $650 last year. (just bought by a friend of my wife's)
You could buy a nice unit in Coogee for your money ($400-$500K). We have a 2 bedroom 10min walk from Coogee beach and its worth around $300-$350K, but is nothing flash.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 09:38 PM   #4
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

thanks i'll have a look at those, a unit or apartment is something I might look at now and in 5+ years or so when we have kids we will trade up.

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 10:30 PM   #5
One Drone
Lane HO

I agree with pottsy. Rouse Hill I drove through a few days ago. Beautiful area and excellent location. T-way and the new Rouse Hill Mall is being built. To be the new largest mall in Syd!
One Drone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Drone
I agree with pottsy. Rouse Hill I drove through a few days ago. Beautiful area and excellent location. T-way and the new Rouse Hill Mall is being built. To be the new largest mall in Syd!
It's 40km for the city/beach Legoland
Old 14-05-2007, 11:19 PM   #7
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a mate that lives in Kellyville Ridge... 2hr each way commute... If you want to be near the city, buy an apartment/townhouse around Strathfield, if you want to be close to the beach buy a unit in the St George/Sutherland area...

If you want a house, and don't mind Commuting an hour or so, I'd be looking around the Camden area, it's beautiful out here, the best of both worlds! Not to mention everyone actually speaks engarish out here...
5tumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2007, 11:31 PM   #8
Scott

^^ I lived in Sydney for some time at Parramatta, Castle Hill, Strathfield & Paddington. I've gotta say that Strathfield was the most convenient for me at the time as I covered all of Sydney (& Newc/Woll). There is some nice spots and some crappy spots in Strathfield/Homebush but it's in the middle between Parra and the City which was handy. Strathfield is a very heavily Asian populated area so as a single aussie male at the time I struggled with not being able to talk to the neighbours but that is the way of the world these days hey?

If I moved back, I would pick Manly or a surrounding suburb. Can be pricey but I found the only way to embrace a new city is to live near it's good bits so you don't just end up out in the burbs wondering why you bothered moving! A good tip for enjoying Sydney is to be nearer to the water and the city as these are inevitably where the action is.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 02:29 AM   #9
Pik0

Although i might get flamed there are some places around balmain/ rozelle drummoyne area for that price, they will be fairly small and fairly rundown but its you and your gf only and its a good thing to try and fix up. Or even a uni as well. Its also about 20 mins in peak hour to the city. From my house i could getto the city with no traffic in about 5 mins. Its a beautiful area and close to the paramatta river which is pretty much the harbour. So its not that bad around there.

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2006312885

Bit over but you get the idea
Coming Soon:
Lowering
Pik0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 02:43 AM   #10
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pik0
Although i might get flamed there are some places around balmain/ rozelle drummoyne area for that price, they will be fairly small and fairly rundown but its you and your gf only and its a good thing to try and fix up. Or even a uni as well. Its also about 20 mins in peak hour to the city. From my house i could getto the city with no traffic in about 5 mins. Its a beautiful area and close to the paramatta river which is pretty much the harbour. So its not that bad around there.

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2006312885

Bit over but you get the idea
You've probably listed the best areas so far.

A nice apartment anywhere in the Inner-West is a wise move. East is a rip off, and anything else good is too far away.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 03:18 AM   #11
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

Mate , why the hell would you want to live in Sydney ???

Only one good thing ever come out of Sydney ........ The road to Queensland !

P.S. And the place is full of cockroaches

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 03:56 AM   #12
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprjenkins
Hey guys and girls,
I've lived in Melbourne all my life but it looks like i'm probably moving to Sydney at the end of the year.
If you're not moving till the end of the year , what might be helpful if you've got the time & cash , is to go for a few trips there for a weekend or three. Northern area one trip , South & West or inner west on other trips .

Have a look around , maybe one of the Sydney guy's could give you a "guided tour" . That way you can get a bit of perspective of the place .

Just a suggestion , don't buy straight away , Rent for 3-6 months , this way if you don't like the area you're not tied down . This is what I did when we moved from Sydney to the bush , just to make sure it was the right move .

Good Luck with your future and hope this helps

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 08:33 AM   #13
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pik0
Although i might get flamed there are some places around balmain/ rozelle drummoyne area for that price,
I completely forgot about this area, good suggestion!
Old 15-05-2007, 08:37 AM   #14
Falcon Freak
Banned

I heard Redfern and Cronulla are good suburbs.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 09:46 AM   #15
HLC
Audi S3

Parramatta. dead centre of sydney. cant go wrong.
Old 15-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #16
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tumpy
Have a mate that lives in Kellyville Ridge... 2hr each way commute... If you want to be near the city, buy an apartment/townhouse around Strathfield, if you want to be close to the beach buy a unit in the St George/Sutherland area...

If you want a house, and don't mind Commuting an hour or so, I'd be looking around the Camden area, it's beautiful out here, the best of both worlds! Not to mention everyone actually speaks engarish out here...
an hour from camden commuting? and the rest lol. it takes an hour for me to drive from parramatta to camden (got a mate that lives there) so factor in trains, to the city!
Old 15-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #17
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Northern Beaches are very nice, but not very handy to the city (1 hr bus trip, no trains) Manly would be OK if you worked near the Quay, you could catch the ferry to work.
Old 15-05-2007, 11:14 AM   #18
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Inner west is great ! What ever you buy in there being a semi/unit etc will keep going up.
Drummoyne to Ryde is very central for town and western freeways 20-25min run to Manly.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 11:17 AM   #19
digitalpunk

I have lived in Sydney all my life, lived about 5 minutes from Parramatta for the majority of it. I have an ex girlfriend who lived up Hornsby way, spent a lot of time around there, that was ok and not too far from the city, although it is costly with the tollways to get to the city from the Hornsby, Castle Hill, Rouse Hill, Pennant Hills areas. Parramatta was ok, that will probably be the second Sydney CBD in a few years time, the area is just growing and they are always doing some type of work in the area. My current girlfriend lived with her parents when we first met, they lived in Crows Nest, that was nice, although not my scene, her parents loved it though, they moved to Leichhardt about 12 months ago, that was pretty good, it isn't far from the city and had a very lively nightlife with the nice resturant strip in Norton Street. My girlfriend and I have recently moved to Newtown and we both love it, we are just behind King St in a little apartment, renting for moment to see if we both like it (and to see if we can live with each other). We are walking distance to a gym, two train stations, the bus stop is practically right outside our doorstep, the bus comes every 10 minutes and it is only a 15 minute trip to work to Alexandria, my girlfriend works in the city and it is only a 15 minute train trip for her. Along King Street you have restuarants, cafes, bars and theatres and any kind of shop you can ask for.
digitalpunk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 11:59 AM   #20
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Newtown is great for food (as is Glebe Pt rd) but I imagine it would be hard to sleep (very noisy) and not many houses have off-street parking.
Old 15-05-2007, 12:01 PM   #21
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
Newtown is great for food (as is Glebe Pt rd) but I imagine it would be hard to sleep (very noisy) and not many houses have off-street parking.
Coogee is a bit like that now, a backpacker getto with streets full of old furniture and junk and violent, drunken brawls every weekend.
Old 15-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #22
digitalpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
They were my concerns but we were very lucky, we got a very modern place with an undercover carspot and we don't face King St so we don't get any of the noise at all.
digitalpunk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 12:50 PM   #23
Paxton
Cobblers!

Whilst some parts of the Shire (South of Sydney) will be out of your Price Range, others will be in the sweet spot (450,000-500,000) of your budget.

The Commute is about 40 Mins both ways, however there are Trains, which you won't get West, East or in the Northern Beaches. The Shire has a good community feel to it, however I have been called a Snob more than once because I call myself a Hobbit. The best thing about the Shire is the Royal National Park. If you like Driving, you will have driven this road at least once.

Look in Engadine, Loftus, Bangor and Miranda/Gymea, however these are getting to the pricey end of your budget.

Good Luck with the move, and remember to keep us posted as to where you go.

Andrew.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #24
Hally

You won't get trains West, East or North? Do you really live in Sydney?

Last time I checked, trains in Sydney went everywhere but the Northern Beaches (and limited to Eastern Suburbs)........
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #25
eldreamin

The best options for your price range are probably the shire (as mentioned) or drummoyne/abbotsford/chiswick/concord. This area has been undergoing alot of development recently and there are buses and ferry's to the city on a regular basis during peak times.

It is still close to the water and close enough to the city to be able to enjoy the nightlife if that is what you are looking for. I guess the worst part of this area (from when I lived there) was the planes travelling to the airport. Unfortunately in sydney now pretty much everywhere within 30km's of the city gets aircraft noise.

Personally I had to get out of sydney and I moved up the central coast. I no alot of people that commute to sydney every day and depending on where you are going (city or north sydney, different trains) it can take an hour 15minutes to get there up to 2 hours on the train. (Damn north sydney all stations trains.) It is a much more relaxed atmosphere, none of the pollution, no stuck up rude people and the beaches are so much nicer.

Previous Ride - 1998 EL Futura, 1998 EL GLI with fairmont ghia interior
eldreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #26
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No rude people on the Central Coast hey? You obviously haven't come accross my relatives yet! Funniest thing was a mate and I got called "bloody rude Sydney-ites" by some Ma in the Avoca Beach car park (I think we took her personal spot). It was funny because we were on holidays from Bathurst at the time and all of about 18.
Old 15-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #27
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look you don't want to be out of the CBD too far, and a lot of people who are posting are just championing their own areas.

Not to sound like a snob but the wealth areas of Sydney are the North Shore, Eastern Suburbs and the Inner West.

All are well serviced by either Buses or trains, low crime, good shops, sporting facilities etc.

If I had to narrow down suburbs:

For the north shore - a unit in cremorne or mosman, about a 20 minute bus ride to the city 30 minutes to the northern beaches, or Woolstonecraft/Waverton - 10 minute train ride to the city, 35 minutes to the northern beaches.

For eastern suburbs - Rose Bay, Double Bay - about a 20 minute bus ride to the city, 15 minutes to the eastern suburbs beaches

For inner west: Drummoyne/Russell Lea/Balmain/Leichhart, about a 20 minute bus ride to the city - probably 45 minutes to the beaches

Or if you want to almost live in the city: Pyrmont - opposite side of Darling Harbour - 8 minute walk to the city, although this suburb is a little rougher than those listed above. And if you do go Pyrmont - stay the hell away from the Goldsborough appartments.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 04:39 PM   #28
lotto

Smile

mate your love sydney!!you wont miss melbournes flat landscape and cold winters,and yuppie communties and daggy art vogue try hards!and no nice beaches!

move here get yourself a boat or learn to surf?we have the best harbour in the world,great beaches,great weather ,

my suggestions would be Maquarie Fields,good value housing ,train close by,close knit community,
large shopping centre not too far away in campbelltown!!

secondly-REDFERN-the block -it has a lot of different size flats etc-close to the city-bohemian restaurants-multi cultural-art galleries!!

Gosford-its nicknamed Blacktown by the coast ,as its like BLacktown but by the sea-train straight to the city-nice mall-(only thing parking in the city -can be hard to get apark in gosford!!

Anyway-hope that helps-and dont believe what you hear we love MELBOURNITES!!

cheers
lotto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2007, 06:49 PM   #29
Scott

^^^ very nasty man.
Old 15-05-2007, 06:57 PM   #30
eldreamin

lotto that is just absolutely cruel and nasty. you shouldnt say things like that as he may consider it.

As for rude people on the coast, I no that there are some but compared to sydney there are much fewer.

I still think that russel lea/drummoyne/abbotsford/chiswick is probably the best way to go. As for the wealth areas, most of the wealth is moving away from those areas and out into the hills district, unfortunately the services out in the hills district suck. It is a safe liberal seat and the state govt is labour so that wont be changing anytime soon either. Oh well the best option has got to be to come up for a week or 2 on holidays and have a look around for yourself.

Previous Ride - 1998 EL Futura, 1998 EL GLI with fairmont ghia interior
eldreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post