Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-08-2006, 02:15 PM   #1
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Gas bottle disposal. Please help ?

Hey guys, i have a old lpg tank here, as well as 2 old bbq gas bottles that i want to get rid of (throw out).

Is there somewhere i can take them without paying through the nose ?
Im in victoria.

Im not 100% sure on the price of taking them to my local tip, but at a guess it would be rediculous.

ta!
steve

Old 12-08-2006, 02:20 PM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
Hey guys, i have a old lpg tank here, as well as 2 old bbq gas bottles that i want to get rid of (throw out).

Is there somewhere i can take them without paying through the nose ?
Im in victoria.

Im not 100% sure on the price of taking them to my local tip, but at a guess it would be rediculous.

ta!
steve
not sure on the lpg tank but the bbq bottles you might be able to go to one of the bottle exchanges at a servo.....where you swap yours for a good full bottle?? i dont know if they accept not in date bottles but it'd be worth checking
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 02:53 PM   #3
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
not sure on the lpg tank but the bbq bottles you might be able to go to one of the bottle exchanges at a servo.....where you swap yours for a good full bottle?? i dont know if they accept not in date bottles but it'd be worth checking
At my local servo, I am 90% certain that they take old bottles in. But you have to pay the full price for a new one as if you didnt have one to swap.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 02:57 PM   #4
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

How bout taking into your local scrap metal merchant?? Never know they may end up paying you some loose change to take em off your hands.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #5
Dezza
Parts bin special

I just got a new gas bottle for the BBQ I was recently given, because the old gas bottle was 10 years out of date, and therefore couldn't be swapped. When I bought the new bottle at Bunnings, I took the old one in to make sure the new one had the right fitting. Bunnings then took the old one and are going to dispose of it. So I'd suggest you take them to Bunnings

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 04:31 PM   #6
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cool thanks for the replies guys.
i dont want to swap them for new ones, and yeah they are 10-20 years old at a guess lol.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

something funny speaking of gas bottles i was watching Worlds wildest videos on Austar and they had a guy goin to the GP in melb afew years back anyhow he was pulled over and a fire started under his bonnet cops opened it put out fire and there was a "boiling" bottle of engine oil and a LPG cylinder, Stevo jyst put it under your bonnet and drive around. Anyway back on topic
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 05:37 PM   #8
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Dump em in an industrial bin behind some store ! ! ! !

( yep, , thats the wrong thing to do, , but its easy ! )
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 05:45 PM   #9
DA68ZA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
How bout taking into your local scrap metal merchant?? Never know they may end up paying you some loose change to take em off your hands.
Wont take them unless they are certified gas free and have a hole punched in them .

In nsw dont know about elswere .
DA68ZA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Dump em in an industrial bin behind some store ! ! ! !

( yep, , thats the wrong thing to do, , but its easy ! )
Very irresponsible. Furthermore, you admit it's wrong yet still advocate doing it. If you can't afford to go to a tip or do the right thing then you need to cut back on some of your excesses. I had some tool dump stuff outside our factory, and I caught the bastard as I was driving down the street and he was coming out of my driveway. Followed him to his house, where I then called the police and had the cheap skate loser charged. Why did I do it? Well, that's best answered by asking this; how would you react if you found someone had dumped a truckload of rubbish at your place?
It's not a victimless crime, and its a further erosion of civility in our society where self absorption is becoming the leading trait. Someone has to pay for the removal, and by making your problem someone elses with no regard for anyone else it just looks like you lack any form of responsibility or maturity or worse, that you are just a selfish ********.

Additionally, illegal dumping has got some serious fines applied to it; not to mention that lpg bottles are also illegal to dispose of in that way. The compactor trucks that pick up these bins compress the load and thats when gas bottles explode under pressure. For the damage you can potentially cause the truck, as well as the fire hazard, you'd really have to be as dumb as a sack of hammers to dipose of them this way. Furthermore, in the off chance they explode the company will in fact pursue the case forensically as a formality required by the insurance company. This means you.
I know of a case where a serial dumper was caught, forced to pay a massive fine and then had to pay for the repairs to the truck. In true fashion he declared himself bankrupt.

Ring your local tip and ask what their disposal fees are, as the only safe way to dispose of used gas bottles is to have them decommissioned by a professional. When you drop the tanks off they are removed by a company that treats them like they are full, and wisely has the facilities to capture the remaining gas, rather than just venting it out in the open. Old tanks are then drilled and deemed safe to be treated as scrap metal.
Most tips do not charge for gas bottles.

Quote: