Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: TAFE or UNI
TAFE 38 31.15%
UNI 56 45.90%
BOTH 17 13.93%
NEITHER 11 9.02%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-11-2005, 11:08 AM   #91
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
You need pretty bloody high marks in yr 12 to get into most courses these days, and getting a really good yr 12 mark in subjects like maths and physics can be a really hard experience.
Or (as one of my mates did) - Do a 1 year arts degree, just pass everything and your OP drops to a 5 (I think that's TE of around 88 I think... It's a 5 on a scale of 1-25)

OP 5 pretty much gets you into anything, so bludge all of high school - get a crappy result, do 1 year of a easy as Arts degree where you can do nothing to pass and then end up with a great OP! To easy :
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 02:02 PM   #92
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Mate, there is a LOT of money in Roo Shooting :
you a roo shooter?

im a pistol shooter, but ive been hunting enough times. it would be sweet to get money from hunting hahahaha ill have to put that remy pump action .223 police on back order.
Old 21-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #93
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Associate Diploma in Engineering (TAFE)
Batchelor of Technology (Manufacturing) (University).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 03:33 PM   #94
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman
Mate, there is a LOT of money in Roo Shooting :
"What's that, Skip? Free market capitalism?"

*BOOM*

"Skippy!!!!!"

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 03:35 PM   #95
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Roo does taste pretty good. Actually, I may buy some for my barbie this weekend. Mmmmm Skippy!
Old 21-11-2005, 03:50 PM   #96
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
As of next Thursday I'll have finnished bachelor Engineering (Civil), Honours class1.

As many have said above, uni is a joke. Ive finnished with a GPA of 5.89 and probably atteneded 40% of the classes.
I do Civil Eng over here in Melbourne at Monash and i find its one of the hardest courses there is. The level of depth and context to which we cover topics is huge.

I think its definatly horses for courses. Monash Civil Eng approaches learning in a significant project based setting, much the same to industry and whilst it make it tough, it also gives us good insight into the way the real world operates and weeds out the non hackers.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 03:50 PM   #97
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
you a roo shooter?
nah mate, but i went out with a friend of mine who's cousin is a roo shooter... if you can handle the blood and guts you can make a lot of $$$'s... personally, I don't like the sight of a kangaroo having it's skin pulled off slowly by an a make shift pulley rig ... (rigged up to an old Ford engine ofcourse )

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Roo does taste pretty good.
that is true... doesn't taste to bad.. also it's probably one of the healthiest meats around (very very high protein content and very lean)

Last edited by Deadman; 21-11-2005 at 03:59 PM.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2005, 09:04 PM   #98
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought this was ment to be a post about TAFE and uni, not how to kill and serve a kangaroo .
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2005, 11:51 AM   #99
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Did a 4 year stint at the university of south australia. Bachelor of Business - Banking and Finance... or applied finance i think its called these days.

Fun times. Economics lectures til 9pm at night - good fun for all concerned!!

Getting a job with it was a lot easier than i thought it would be tho. Only another 10 years to clear that HECS debt!! lol
Old 22-11-2005, 12:19 PM   #100
BlackLS

I finished year 12 in 2004, and did IT Cert II at tafe to go towards the HSC. I now work as one of two IT support for a national advertising company. The week prior to taking this job I had had job offers as a Call centre operator, databaser/archive retrival assistant and a IT traineeship.

I have no regrets for not going to uni. From what my partner and my friends tells me, I'm not really missing out on much. I get the jist that at uni your bored and stressed at the same time.

But like said above, there is not a one size fits all... But i recon if you can sit there for an hour studying, Id say uni full time. If you try to study but 1 min in you lose track of what your doing and start pulling apart the car/computer, go to tafe, you'll enjoy it more than uni.

I remember there was a statistic goes something like around 40% of the 100 richest people never finish school.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2005, 09:59 PM   #101
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

ive done a business cert 1 and
automotive servicing through school.
ive got into a pre-apprenticeship in plant mechanics at tafe just now

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 03:37 PM   #102
EL-XRAN
Xranmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Crap crap and utter crap.

You do not require University or TAFE skills to excell in society or have a career with money. It is just harder without.

Personally if three people presented to me as an employer, one with a University Degree, one with a TAFE diploma and one without either but with 2 years experience they would all get equal consideration. In fact the person with experience (depends on the experience, why they are moving on, many many factors) would be the person i'd be hardest on in the interview stage - but for the right reasons that they should be better at the job.

Teritary qualifications are a foot in the door, nothing more.
HAH! Agreed!! I did a tafe course at the beginning of the year... In 2 more years I'll be on a wage between 80-120k/yr. Not bad for someone about to hit the ripe old age of 19 huh. Btw, the course was Marine Engineering.

>Monty the Customised Fairmont<
>Elektra the Lightning-strike Pursuit 250 Ute<
EL-XRAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2005, 04:05 PM   #103
BOOSTDEF
FPV GT Owner!!!

I started a tafe course in automotive when i was 16, didnt like it one bit. I saw it as a great way to earn $500 a week for the rest of your life and end up nowhere. Dont get me wrong, anyone can exceed in any industry, but prospects were what i was looking for.

Now, after aceing yr12, im in my 3rd year of uni doing a bachelor of civil engineering at the uni of queensland. Anyone who says uni is easier than tafe, is either an arts student who never shuts their hypocritical little mouths, or one lazy bastard doing 2 subject semesters.

What gives uni students a bad name? Well, the people doing teaching degrees.. No crap here, in certain semesters, they only need to show up 1 hour on tuesday, and write one essay at end of semester. practically useless education.

Then there is the arts students. I will not elaborate any further.

And with regards to a uni degree not matching real life skills? i think the bridges and buildings which support you are quite important. We dont want them falling down do we?

Definately go uni. but do a degree worth doing. Just my 2c
- XB Coupe Project
BOOSTDEF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 05:45 PM   #104
boss-290

I am currently attending an Automotive Certificate II - First Year coarse.

It is great fun, and I'm learning a load of stuff. And I am only going 1 day a week. :
Old 19-06-2006, 05:58 PM   #105
FordFan86
meow

Depending on what courses you do at tafe or uni will dictate where you get. If you're determined at either there's no reason you shouldn't be able to earn 6 figures if you work your way up.
I'd say TAFE is a lot more hands on practical whilst uni is more pencil pusher kind of stuff; depending ofcourse on what you choose to study.
The one good thing about uni is first year subjects are very broad for most courses and if you're finding that what you're in isn't what you want there's a good chance you can transfer and get credited for what you want.

The $$$ side of things? I've expericed TAFE (did a mechanics course as mentioned at post #2, damn this thread is old) and I'm currently half way through my second year of uni. What I paid for TAFE for 6 months, I pay for 1 subject at uni for the same amount of time (courses will be generally be 3-6 subjects per semester ====$$$$$$$)
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 06:12 PM   #106
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll most likely be going to TAFE, as Uni doesn't cater for my area. Looking to be a sound and recording engineer. Open a recording studio for the weekdays, and go mix live music at night Box Hill Tafe (where i'll most likely go if not JMC academy) has many VCAA and Uni lecturers etc trying to work there, as they think it's top notch.

I'm still really interested in other engineering, but i'm afraid that the subjects i've chosen at school leave me out of place. If I could, I'd also like to do either Mechanical, Civil or Marine engineering. Don't think I have the creativity for it though, lol.

(Old thread I know)
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post