Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-10-2005, 12:42 AM   #1
Drive XR7
American Muscle

Default Jobs in Australia...

Someone mentioned to me that it's hard to get a job out there nowadays. Is this true? How is the country doing economically?

Drive XR7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 12:46 AM   #2
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive XR7
Someone mentioned to me that it's hard to get a job out there nowadays. Is this true? How is the country doing economically?
VERY HARD TO CHANGE JOBS THESE DAYS . IF YOU ARE IN FULL TIME PERMANENT WORK . australia has the 2nd highest casual workforce in the world . and industrial reform is happenning . the government is taking away workers rights. at the moment. wages may come down in the near future creating working poor as is in america.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 02:45 AM   #3
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah here its hard as crap , im still looking !
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 02:55 AM   #4
maglite

Depends where you live.

The east coast is suffering...big time from what i am told.

Here in the west.....things are going flatout. If you cant get a job here at the moment, you mustnt really want to work.
Most businesses will take anybody and the pay is pretty good too.

I read today, where they expect WA's economy to keep going for at least another 3 years.
Once in a lifetime stuff........all we need is a road block on the nullabor to help stop the mexicans jumping the border.....LOL
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 10:23 AM   #5
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless you're in an industry that has a shortage of workers here or you're a professional with an excellent history, then I wouldn't consider coming half way around the world for work.
What do you do for work Drive XR7?
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 10:28 AM   #6
Drive XR7
American Muscle

I will be graduating from college this December with a degree in Computer Science. I am currently working part time and going to school full time. I work in IT support/services right now... but I want to come visit Australia after graduation sometime. I think it'd be a great time and I've heard the Aussie women are all hot! ;)
Old 18-10-2005, 10:40 AM   #7
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some large firms are starting to outsource lower level IT work to India. I think you'll find that most IT workers go from Australia to overseas to get more money. But by all means visit now as we approach summer and the girls wear less! January/February is the hottest part of the year usually in this neck of the woods.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Old 18-10-2005, 10:41 AM   #8
Drive XR7
American Muscle

Oh that's right (forgot about the whole hemisphere deal)! It's getting colder and colder here. June/July are the hottest parts of the year for us.
Old 18-10-2005, 10:43 AM   #9
Yummy Mummy

I sent my resume out to 5 job ads just over a week ago. Had 4 interviews so far, and have a 2nd interview for two of them this week, and just heard back from the 5th one telling me they will contact me for an interview. Wasn't even sure if I wanted to change jobs.

I think it depends on the industry. I know in the industry I'm in there are heaps around.
Yummy Mummy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 10:44 AM   #10
BlackLS

Quote:
I will be graduating from college this December with a degree in Computer Science. I am currently working part time and going to school full time. I work in IT support/services right now... but I want to come visit Australia after graduation sometime. I think it'd be a great time and I've heard the Aussie women are all hot! ;)

you can check out sites like
mycareer
or
seek
to help you guage whats available in Australia. Its also handy to know there are only 22 million people in Australia, so the list of vacancies are not going to be as long as say a US job site.

Oh yeah I'm sure Melbourne girls are more cute than Sydney :
Old 18-10-2005, 10:47 AM   #11
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Our unemployment is near 30 year lows at the moment. Practically a labour shortage. Wage growth has been unreal.
Old 18-10-2005, 11:05 AM   #12
red_october
Go on, be a monkey....

Job market's pretty good in WA, not that hard to find a job. Employment agencies are always calling...
red_october is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 11:12 AM   #13
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Our unemployment is near 30 year lows at the moment. Practically a labour shortage. Wage growth has been unreal.
Yeah, but how many people are underemployed, or are casuals? I know someone posted in the workplace reforms thread, that their employer sacked them at 5 months because they would have to be made permanent at 6 months. They were rehired by the company a week later.
Old 18-10-2005, 11:34 AM   #14
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonEF
Yeah, but how many people are underemployed, or are casuals? I know someone posted in the workplace reforms thread, that their employer sacked them at 5 months because they would have to be made permanent at 6 months. They were rehired by the company a week later.

That sounds like an industrial relations issue right there, i'm pretty sure you can't do that. (at least not in qld).

As for the topic, i've never had a hard time finding work, well paid work is a little harder (i'm on 65k now), but if have a degree in IT XR7, you shouldn't find work too hard to come by.
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #15
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonEF
In many lower paid jobs casual or labour hire workers are used, I've never had a full time job and only a month ago got my first "permanent" job where I'm entitled to annual and sick leave as the job is permanent part time. For the past 11 years have been a casual employee and considered myself underemployed and still am at that company - I have to work 2 jobs to fill out the day.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Old 18-10-2005, 12:15 PM   #16
Drive XR7
American Muscle

What industry does everyone specialize in? I think that might help get a grasp on the actual employment situation.

It's very difficult to get a job in IT here in the states. The job market is flooded with overqualified people so unless you have some experience, you'll be unemployed. Alot of people go for their Masters of Business Administration (MBA - 2 years after a 4 year bachelors degree).
Old 18-10-2005, 12:23 PM   #17
gtfpv
GT

The Government Calls You Employed If You Work Mre Than 4 Hours Per Week . That Is Why We Have The Lowest Unemployment Rate For 30 Years. 30 Years Ago Everyone Had Full Time Employment For Life In Most Cases .
Old 18-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #18
BlackLS

Drive XR7: check out the poll http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=14833
Old 18-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #19
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

Depends on many factors, if you're in my situation with little experience and no uni degrees, it can be EXTREMELY difficult. :(
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 09:43 PM   #20
phoon
BOLLOCKS

I have a mate in the Job placement industry, he has just come back from Berlin in Germany. the aussie government is paying his recruitment company to recruit proffesionals, ie engineers, trades people ie plumbers, carpenters etc because there is a severe shortage in this country of skilled people. To many jobs, not enough people to fill them. the imigration laws are being relaxed for these people with immediate starts in well paying jobs. Nobody can tell me that there are not jobs and careers for skilled and professional people.
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2005, 11:29 PM   #21
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

The economy in Australia has never been better,there's plenty of jobs out there,the unemployment is at a very low 5% and the Interest Rates are fantastic,ok so the Petrol prices might be up,but that's due to the World wide influence.
I don't know where some of you blokes have been hiding,but there's plenty of money to be made out there.
There is also a shortage of Tradesman out there,so any young hopful should be looking at getting an apprenticeship in the Building trade
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 12:26 AM   #22
gtfpv
GT

plenty of trade jobs out there paying 22 to 24 dollars an hour and cant be filled. because the tradesman is earning more doing something else. the employers dont raise dollars though to attract the right people. they slacken the immigration laws to allow cheap labour in .remember the currant affair episode a few months back when a company flew mechanics in from asia . paid them $400 p/wk and allowed them to live in a bedroom shared about 4 people to one room for about $80 each per week .because those silly bludging aussies wouldn't do it . i don't know whats wrong with aussies a currant affair was bagging the aussie worker for the company having to recruit from overseas .
that sais there is jobs out there for tradesman paying up to and over 100,000 pa. about 10% of them actually . the others under $65000 including ot . well i think i'd rather drive a forklift.
Old 19-10-2005, 12:51 AM   #23
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Brisbane

There is plenty of work in Brisbane. The economy has never been stronger! If you want work you will find, simple as that.
Old 19-10-2005, 12:58 AM   #24
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's very difficult to get a job in IT here in the states. The job market is flooded with overqualified people so unless you have some experience, you'll be unemployed.
Don't expect any better chances Down Under :

In saying that, there is always work - you just have to apply yourself to find (and get) it : Trade is definately the place to be at the moment though...
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 01:58 AM   #25
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cant believe people are complaining that they cant find a job...We probably have one of the lowest unemployment rates in the World. Europe is 10-15%, Asia and South America 30-50%.
The US is about the same as here but thier minimum wage is alot lower...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post