Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #31
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT290
May work for some but I did try that and it turned me into a real mean bad temperd *****. Serious side effects on that stuff, I stopped using it.
Same here, turned into an angry son of a ****, and still wanted to smoke.
Patches worked best for me.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 08:10 PM   #32
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck giving up the Cancer Sticks.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 08:14 PM   #33
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

There was one of those medical type shows on TV the other night. Showed some graphic shots of surgeons trying to cut tumours from someones mouth. I can't for the life of me see whay anyone would take the risks involved in smoking, so I applaud your efforts and wish you luck.
Old 23-04-2007, 08:32 PM   #34
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm, i wonder what all the preservatives, colours,and all the other chemicals and stuff they put in all our food, fruit and veg etc would be doing to our bodies?
I wonder what effect we get from the 4 yr old fruit and veg the the major supermarkets sell to us "fresh"?

Good luck with giving up, if it dont work for you then dont do it.

With me, i have had the pleasure of working with lead paint, asbestos, and all sorts of other dusts and chemicals, back when there werent any warnings, work safety etc, it was just do it and be quiet... so i dont think smoking is going to kill me.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #35
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
it was just do it and be quiet... so i dont think smoking is going to kill me.
You hope.
Old 23-04-2007, 08:54 PM   #36
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
You hope.
I dont think the smokes are worse than all the other stuff, but hey thats just me!!
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #37
XRchic
Hello

I went cold turkey, no patches, no gum, nothing. Have been off them nearly 2 years.

Patches are a waste of time. They aim to help you with the nicotine addiction. The nicotine withdrawls last a couple of days at the most... so all the patches do is drag that part out...

You need to go cold turkey and get through the first couple of days of nicotine withdrawls - its hard, but if you can get through those two days, then you will be through the worst of the CHEMICAL addiction.

Then you have the mental addiction/habit type thing. That is much easier to deal with if you are not trying to get through the chemical addiction, ie with patches. One thing at a time...

The habit thing takes a while, depending on the person. And no patch or gum will help you with that. The habit takes willpower and and resistance, that is all. And it is much easier if you are not fighting nicotine withdrawls...

Patches are ok if you dont rely on them I guess but its a lot of money to spend to draw out something that should be essentially done inside of a week...

I recommened going cold turkey and getting the nicotine withdrawls out the way, then focus on the habit breaking over weeks or even months - bearing in mind it will never go away completely.

Dont shelter yourself either... go to pubs if you have to, because at some point you will have to face smokers, and smokey places... just have to deal with it.

Thats my advice (ex nurse).

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #38
gngtho
Banned

im 27 this year and i go through a pack of 35's and half pack of 25's a day ive been trying to quit but never had the mental state of mind to do so.

has any one gone through this and what advice have you got.

Good luck to everyone else trying.
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #39
Falchoon

A woman at work reckons she was told by her doctor not to give up smokes when she got pregnant as the stress would be more harmful to the baby than the cigarettes. Sounds like a crock of sh!t to me.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 10:07 PM   #40
Heffnic
this is true

i have been off them for about 3 months now smoked for nearly 12 years, was on quitx patches for 2 weeks. the best part is waking up the nite after a trip to the pub and not having your lungs fall on the pillow. yes its gross but i got to the stage after a nite on the grog i was coffing up something simalair to tar and blood best of luck to all that are trying to get off them.
Old 23-04-2007, 10:51 PM   #41
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has been since the 1st June 06 for me ;)

Havent slipped once as I know that will be the downfall ..........

I just go for a drive in the Sprint when I feel like one ..... would never smoke in her and cant afford her and the smokes
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #42
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR David
I went from a pack to a day for 18 years, to being a non-smoker for the last 3 years. FORGET patches and all that crap. Buy "Only Way to Stop Smoking Permanently" by
Allen Carr. Available here http://www.dymocks.com.au/ProductDet...x?R=0140244751

This is the only way to stop. Guaranteed

Good luck!!!!!!!!!1

David
Guys please read my earlier post. By reading this book you WILL become a non-smoker. You actually continue to smoke when reading the book. I had my last cigarette when prompted to do so in the book. Had two puffs and vomited all over the yard!!!

after 18 years, i have not smoked now for 2.5 years out:
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2007, 11:48 PM   #43
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falchoon
A woman at work reckons she was told by her doctor not to give up smokes when she got pregnant as the stress would be more harmful to the baby than the cigarettes. Sounds like a crock of sh!t to me.
Thats because it IS a crock of shyte. 100%. IF some chic says that to you, she is stupid and making excuses. Pregnant women smoking make me sick. The same thing applies to women drinking alcohol and Ive heard similar excuses for that too.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 10:48 PM   #44
gngtho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falchoon
thats like when a teacher sais "these kids are making me stressed" goes out has a fag in the mean time increasing her heart rate from the fag and sais "now im calm".

Smoking increases the heart rate therfore increasing stress levels.
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #45
Ringo
I see you....

You have to want to quit for you....not for others....and everyone has their reason.

My uncle used to smoke a pack of Holiday 50's a day and had been a smoker for 40 years until the morning he woke up covered in his own blood from some lung issue. He had been coughing in his sleep....talk about scary. He quit cold turkey and never went back and is still here....amazingly.

The other interesting thing is that he only used to sleep about 4 hours a night when he was a smoker, now he sleeps 6-7 like a normal person. He blamed the nictone addiciton.

Good luck and set yourself a goal or reward for reaching particular milestones.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post