Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-03-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Engine noise in AU Interior

Quick story. Something which is constantly bugging me each time I drive the AU is a " hissing" sound that is clearly audible under accelaration which seems to be coming from the driver's side floor area. It sounds similar to driving a car with a rubber grommet etc. missing from the firewall allowing engine noise to enter the cabin, but from what I can see, all is OK here. What I can say is however I noticed it straight after driving the car once the Pacemaker 4480's were fitted (revised type) and high flow cat. I have changed to a 3inch metal cat. thinking it may be the cat. they fitted with the extractors but to no avail. I have also had JMM headers and the original 4480's on this car and this hissing sound was not evident then. The exhaust has been checked by 2 exhaust experts both saying there is no leaks in the system. Doing a search discovered another forum user has this issue as well but got no reply from his post so I thought posting in this thread may attract someone who has a fix or ideas for this issue of mine.
Sorry for the long post!

Duane.

duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 01:17 PM   #2
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be an exhaust leak somewhere?

Also, what did you think between the JMM headers and the 4480s?

Cheers
Old 08-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

had my 4499's fitted on tuesday and now notice this hissing as well. doesn't pi$$ me off though so i'm well prepared to live with it, i listten to the stereo loud anyways.

but yeah i would't mind knowing wat it is making the nmoise also.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had extractors, a new cat, and an exhaust fitted a few weeks ago. I have also noticed that there is now a sound which i can only describe as sounding like water flowing through a pipe! I guess this is the cat, so i would imagine that this would be the first place for you to look?

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 09:11 PM   #5
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've got what i think would be the same thing ph4499's, new act, etc, took it to an exhaust shop and got them to look at it and they reckon it's called "extractor noise" basically where the pipes go 2 into 1 and it's normal, whether this is true or not i don't know, but i just ignore it
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2007, 12:03 AM   #6
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
Could be an exhaust leak somewhere?

Also, what did you think between the JMM headers and the 4480s?

Cheers
Tell you I havent really noticed any difference in performance between the two but honestly I should have keep the JMM headers.I didnt notice this noise then!

LOL about the exhaust leak. I mentioned that there were no leaks and by two exhaust companies! :hihi:
Old 09-03-2007, 12:05 AM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

check that the extractor bolts havent come loose, sometimes when theyre first installed they do need tightening up after a few kms.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:06 AM   #8
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
i had extractors, a new cat, and an exhaust fitted a few weeks ago. I have also noticed that there is now a sound which i can only describe as sounding like water flowing through a pipe! I guess this is the cat, so i would imagine that this would be the first place for you to look?

Evan
LOL, I mentioned I have already changed the cat for another which didn't solve the problem! But I can highly reccommend a 3inch metal cat. The exhaust noise with the redback cat back is sweet!
Old 09-03-2007, 12:11 AM   #9
HLC
Audi S3

after i got my cat-back exhaust put on..

when i accelerate through the rev range, a hissing/whistle can be heard around 3grand+ then goes away as i hit redline.

i cant seem to find a leak in my exhaust. sounds like its coming from around the flange area though... hmmmmmm