Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-03-2007, 03:33 PM   #1
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Gym Training

Just wanted to know, I have been training for about 9 mths now.

I am 96kgs and this is what I lift (all free weights and for 6 reps).

Squats 90kg (weak knees)
Bench Press 100kg
Dead Lift 130kg
Shoulder press dumbells 30kgs
Weighted dips 50kgs
Curls 50kgs

Just interested to see what other people lift, I dont train at a gym so I have no idea.

So put your weight and your what you lift, for these exercises.

Black F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
zhodak
Shakern, not stirred

76 Kilograms, 5'7"

Squats 140kg (at my peak, now 120)
Bench Press 120kg
Dead Lift 150 - 180kg
Shoulder press dumbells 35 - 40kgs
Weighted dips - body weight
Bicep Curls 20kgs dumbells
New toy, 2005 TX RWD Territory, Black, optioned with Ex JC Cross 5 19's soon to be matt black alloys in 19x8.5, cruise and tinted glass, tricky pedals, JVC Head Unit in the what use to be tissue holder, reversre camera, Ford window shades, JC sourced cargo blind, MOMO wheel (in black of course). MB Quartz 2 ways in rear doors and Precision Response 6" Kevlar splits in front doors, LED DRL's, fog lights with angel eyes and Castle Headers, Hurricane cat and XR8 Hotdog
zhodak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez I must be weak as **** then, time to train harder I think.

Are those weights for 6 reps????
Old 05-03-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
zhodak
Shakern, not stirred

8 to 12, 3 sets. Average 10 reps per set (with no chemical enhancement).

I have a 3 day split. Day 1 - chest and triceps
Day 2 - Back and Biceps
Day 3 - Legs and shoulders

So I train two muscle twice per week. But have also been training for 4 years.

So for nine months that you have been doing it's good.
New toy, 2005 TX RWD Territory, Black, optioned with Ex JC Cross 5 19's soon to be matt black alloys in 19x8.5, cruise and tinted glass, tricky pedals, JVC Head Unit in the what use to be tissue holder, reversre camera, Ford window shades, JC sourced cargo blind, MOMO wheel (in black of course). MB Quartz 2 ways in rear doors and Precision Response 6" Kevlar splits in front doors, LED DRL's, fog lights with angel eyes and Castle Headers, Hurricane cat and XR8 Hotdog
zhodak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

How many sets are you talking? 6 reps for 3 sets etc?

Im 115kgs (about 15kg overweight) 6'2"

Squat: If you talking heaviest weight then 140kg but normally I warm up with a set of 100kg for 10 reps, 120kg for 8-10 reps for 2 to 3 sets depending on how I feel then another couple of 6-10 rep sets of 100kg to finish off. Then I move on to 240kg leg press.

Bench: 100kg for a couple of sets of 8-10 reps then a couple of sets of 80kg. Or I'll use 40kg dumbells.

Don't do deadlifts much but am meaning to do more: I know I could do 100kg no worries dunno how much more.

Shoulder press: 55lb dumbells

Im heavy enough for dips dont need any more weight lol.

Arm curls: 50lb dumbells or 50kg bar.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 04:46 PM   #6
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been doing a bulk routine.

3 sets, 10 8 6.

Just started doing bulk though, my weights have been getting heavier, the last few weeks.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #7
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Sounds like things are going well then.

Like Zhodak said for 9 months thats pretty good weight your pushing. Ive been doing it for 7 years and I started off with just a barbell and a couple of dumbells. Been going to a gym for over 6 years now though. While I havent gotten as big as I might have I have lost alot of weight.

Just watch your form (keep things controlled, dont throw the weight around) especially pushing bigger weight then you normally do otherwise you could do yourself an injury, and keep it up. :MrT_anim:

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 10:13 PM   #8
mrgo40rd

yer keep up the good work scott ive been at the gym for a few years
bench-100-110kg biceps-30upto50kg spent 6mth with a bodbuilder and we shoulder pressed 100kg (no we where not on the gear) do leg press knees to week but i learnt the hard way not to go to heavy i was doing tries and using a 70kg dumbel behind the head and snapped my triecep and yes it hurt now days i do just enought weight to keep me in form using a mixture of machine and free weights and a allround body workout

Member of 'Falcon Tickford FPV Club of NSW'
www.ftf.org.au
Nolathane, Whiteline and Whiteline PLUS enhanced
car care products 1300 006 007 (keep it looking clean)
mrgo40rd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2007, 10:19 PM   #9
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just trained tonight, I must be training soft.

I tried shoulder presses with 35kg dumbells and did it easy, also was doing shrugs with 150kg, so its getting better, Im just trying to take it easy.

It will come, the training has made me feel heaps better about myself, sense of accomplishment and all that.

Just keep at it.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:55 AM   #10
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im only a small fella.
5"8 i weigh bout 68 kg
bench 90kg
pull downs, 75kg
shoulder press 75 kg
arm curl (dumbells) 15kg
arm curls (bar) 45kg
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #11
5.0failane

85kg about 5"11

I started at the gym about 6 months ago.

I have a few problems with the knees so mainly do bench press, just broke 135kg
5.0failane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 05:37 PM   #12
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How many reps can you do that for???

Im not weak but by the sounds of some of these weights maybe I am????
Old 06-03-2007, 05:45 PM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

96KG, 6'1" Been training 22 years, last competed about 10 years ago, currently train 3-4 times a week.

Weight totals are for my last "heaviest" 6-8 rep set, not one off max lift (i dont believe in it):

Major groups:

Flat bar Bench 130kg
Leg press: 280kgs
Dont squat any more- bad knees.
Shoulder press 45kg dumbells (90 kgs)
Lat pull downs 100kgs
Seated row 120kgs

Got no idea how much i could do one off, im not going to risk injury trying to find out either!

Old 06-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #14
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats a better indication of where I am at.

As you say you have been training for 22yrs and done competition, so Im not doing too bad for 9 mths
Old 06-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFXRScott
Thats a better indication of where I am at.

As you say you have been training for 22yrs and done competition, so Im not doing too bad for 9 mths
I lifted a bit more when i was training 6 times a week and competing.. but now just to keep in shape.
Unless you're interested in power lifting forget max one rep numbers, they're only good for bragging at the pub, (and i suspect being laughed at by people who know better).
You'll end up hurting yourself.
I laugh some days watching people do heavy squats or leg press or bench press with rediculous weights on and only go down 5-6 inches, then brag to their mates "i just did bla bla..". FOOLS.

6-8 un-assisted FULL complete reps with GOOD FORM to complete failure on the 7th or 8th rep (with a spotter!) is a good indicator.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:00 PM   #16
Black F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I don't mess around with 1 rep max's, I do 6 reps (on my third set), proper form, maybe thats why my numbers aren't as big as others.

Im not interested in powerlifting, just build good muscle and get a bit stronger.

I always use good form, cant see the point in not.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:00 PM   #17
XCSEDAN
i'm baaaack....

here are my peak weights, i trained only for last year (had to stop due to dislocating both knees at the same time) i would only do 3-4 sets of these
Squats: peaked at 155kg (6 reps) tried 160 and dislocated both my knees
bench: a weak as hell 80kg
Lat pull downs: 160lbs+20kg (had to add a weight plate to the stack)
Good mornings: 50kg
upright row: 50kg
bicep curls: 30kg (dumbells)
dips: a max of 20 (only lifting my own weight)
forearm curls: 25kg (dumbells)
and i can't remember any of the others... i plan to get back into it this year.
XCSEDAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 06:06 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah I don't mess around with 1 rep max's, I do 6 reps (on my third set), proper form, maybe thats why my numbers aren't as big as others.

Im not interested in powerlifting, just build good muscle and get a bit stronger.

I always use good form, cant see the point in not.
Dont be too concerned about the numbers mate, just make sure you're doing 3-4 sets with 6-8 reps per exercise, training to failure on the last set or 2 and most of all using good form. Then try to add a little bit more each week or so but maintain the reps. The numbers mean little if you're improving..

Old 06-03-2007, 06:06 PM   #19
69Fastback
Fastback69

Quote:
How many reps can you do that for???

Im not weak but by the sounds of some of these weights maybe I am????
Scott, I have been training on and off with weights since I was 13. Don't worrly about comparing yourself to other people, just keep good records of where you are at, and aim to improve over time. Look back after a couple of months and you will see how far you have progressed.
69Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #20
69Fastback
Fastback69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Dont be too concerned about the numbers mate, just make sure you're doing 3-4 sets with 6-8 reps per exercise, training to failure on the last set or 2 and most of all using good form. Then try to add a little bit more each week or so but maintain the reps. The numbers mean little if you're improving..
Hmm, I didn't see this before I posted. What he said. :
69Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #21
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Agree with those that are into one rep maxs for bragging rights. Great way to do yourself serious injury.

One of my knees is fairly buggered, right ankle is completely fused, have had one disc chopped and another one is damaged so I don't do any squats and things. In fact I do virtually no weights with my legs but do all my cardio using my legs, mostly hard pushbike work including stints on the mountain bike along the beach. My legs are naturally fairly largish so the pushbike stuff seems to take care of them okay.

Dips and chin ups are fantastic exercises I think not utilised enough by many. The amount of variations you can put into chins and dips etc. is massive. Changing grips, the way you lean etc. etc. can hit so many different muscles and change intensity.

Go through phases of bench press and stuff but quite often go some time without doing any. When I do it though I prefer incline bench and use three different angles while lifting heavy. As in 6-8 rep with me busting my pooper valve to failure on last ones. Flat I sometimes go as heavy as 120kg but as the incline changes reduce that. I can't go too heavy on the incline either as front left deltoid just not there due to nerve damage so other muscles have to compensate too much.

Curls I generally do standing but with as strict form as I can. Using 20kg single arm dumbbells, again 6-8 rep max and as many sets as I can stand. Tricep pushdowns generally very heavy and 8-10 rep max. Triceps are probably my best developed bit but that is probably due to luck of genetics than anything else. Unfortunately my genetics also have me constantly struggling against getting fat. I am 179cm and 85kg. Once was a very unfit 132kg. Got as low as 79kg but packing lots of muscle, particularly on arms, but staying at that weight is virtually unsustainable. That was seven days a week in the gym, two days hard cardio, one day weights and that cycle continuing.

For losing fat in my opinion absolutely nothing beats an elliptical trainer. Turn up the intensity and hit it for 45 minutes at a time. I have tried most things and for me the elliptical kicks butt for fat loss and calorie burning. And it has virtually no impact whatsoever. Much better than stationary bike for burning energy etc. as you have to support your own weights and all muscles being worked to stabilise. These rock.

For maintaining weight then the pushie works pretty well. Just cycling to shops etc. instead of car type stuff all adds up to calories burned.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:39 PM   #22
buickman
buickman

Quote:
For losing fat in my opinion absolutely nothing beats
You are what you eat. Then a combination of cardo & resistaince training.
Its about 70% diet & 30% exercise training should give you a athletic body which is healther & looks better than a oversized freak that ends up having heart problems in their 50's.

buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 07:03 PM   #23
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

He needs to lose a few kilos.... fat bugger.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 07:05 PM   #24
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Is there a website on all this weight lifting business? I want to get into it but i'm not up on all the lingo....
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2007, 07:22 PM   #25
GUNXR8
Starter Motor

Not to bad pretty impressive stats for novices, I guarantee that if any one of you blokes took it more seriously, you'd get far better results...

My Stats follows:

Height: 5ft 101/2inches (179cm)
Weight: 105kg

Bench Press: 190kg Max Weight 2 reps only (power lifting)
Currently Usually go to 160kg
Dumbell Press: 70kg max, 3reps only
Dumbell Flys: 45kg max 5reps
Military Press: 110kg behind the neck
Shoulder Press: 50kg
Dead Lifts: 180kg Max, 5reps
Standing Preacher curl (Barbell): 80kg max
Concentration Curls (Dumbells): 45kg max 4 reps each arm
Leg press: 460kg 8 reps
Squats: 180 max, 8 reps Bad left knee.

Those stats are only at my peak when I was 112kg..(power training)

But when wanting to increase strength when training, make sure you go to your maximum limit at least once a week, so you shock your muscles and strengthen your nervous system..
Then after your max set drop the weight to comfortable weight which you can do at least 10 to 12 reps, so you get the maximum pump to your muscle where you get the most growth from..
Its always trail and error, it all depends on what actually works for ya...
If wanting to grow in thickness and size, you must at least go to your max at least once every different body part a week..
then down pyramid with lighter weight...
And always at least before ya go shower start doing sit ups to strenghten your lower back and stomach, so each other exercise becomes more fluent and easier so your power level will increase when doing lifting and pulling exercises..
It might sound corny but try it out then see for your self..
Anyony who has a tight stomach can always lift at least 15% more then an average guy..
And most Inportantly diet well, consume the right amount of water intake daily and rest well, at least 7 hours a day is all you really need for proper muscle growth...
When Rising in thye morning always feed body the right amount of protein so your body absorbes most of your intake...

Train Hard and always feed your body..

Cheers
GUNXR8
GUNXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 12:48 AM   #26
aye you
The Origional, The Best

200cm, 115kg

115kg bench when rep. 150kg power lift
40kg flys
80kg tricep pull down
120kg dead lift
160kg squat
300kg leg press
50kg curls

amazing what martial arts/kick boxing does to someone
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2007, 05:33 PM   #27
tscot76
Motor Starter

Been going to the gym now for about a year.

I weigh 80kgs
* 3 sets of 7
Flat bench press 80kg
Incline press 60kg
Decline press 60kg
Bicep Curl 30kg
Tricep 30kg
Dont do my legs cause of bad knees

I go to the gym so I can look like these guys:-

tscot76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 04:20 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Surely those pics are fake. Either that or enough steroids to bulk up a horse.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2007, 04:26 PM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahhh. yes...

Old 10-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #30
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question

please explain what you guys mean by sets and reps is it lift the weight 10 times (REPS) sort break then lift another 10 times then that would be 2 sets
XWildGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post