Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-02-2007, 11:01 PM   #1
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Anyone own a Yamaha Four Stroke?

Hi guys, I am currently looking at buying a dirt bike. I really want a four stroke YZ. I am thinking a YZ 426 F preferably a 02 model. What are peoples experiences with these bikes? I hear terrible stories about valve wear and top end rebuilds in the thousands of dollars. What has been your experience?

Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a WR 426 for a bit over 3 years and put 2,000 kms on it in that time. (had 3,000 on it when i bought it). The only thing i ever replaced on it was a throttle cable. Changed the oil every 500 kms, religiously cleaned the air filter, ran premium unleaded with moterex valve saver. had the valve clearance checked every 1000 kms and never loaded it up in 5 gear as they have a rubbery 5th gear. I think as long as your on top of your maintance you should be ok, just be very careful buying one second had as they are getting a fair bit of age on them now, make sure it has a good service history.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 11:24 PM   #3
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yzf's will wear alot faster than a wrf

If you're riding bush I'd say get a wrf, Yzf get thrown around too much you may as well get a 2 stroke if you're going down the path of getting a race bike.

Wr426 go hard bearly a power difference between the 426 and 450.

If you ride a bit of everything, track, illegal, bush, then it's upto you what you get.

Yzf for power and handling

Wrf for better reliability

You can get around 10,000k's out of the stock wrf valves if you're not thrashing the **** out of it every time you ride.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDaaron

If you're riding bush I'd say get a wrf, Yzf get thrown around too much you may as well get a 2 stroke if you're going down the path of getting a race bike.

If you ride a bit of everything, track, illegal, bush, then it's upto you what you get.

You can get around 10,000k's out of the stock wrf valves if you're not thrashing the **** out of it every time you ride.
How do you figure the YZF wears out quicker? there exactly the same engine with different cams.
Old 26-02-2007, 11:34 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBomb3000
How do you figure the YZF wears out quicker? there exactly the same engine with different cams.
YZF has close ratio box (WR has wide ratio), different cams and different exhaust.
Its louder and hits harder than the WR, also YZF is harder to ride in the bush than a WR due to the tall 1st.
WR also has smaller 18" rear tyre, softer suspension, different tank/seat, so you really need to decide if its bush or motorcross you want to do as the WR aint great on a motorcross track and the YZF aint great in the bush.

Old 26-02-2007, 11:36 PM   #6
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm talking from peoples expirances.

with them. not just talking about the engine either. They're made of lighter parts. if you only ride track well get one but in the bush a WRF will outlast it.

Old 26-02-2007, 11:37 PM   #7
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow for once 4v man isn't totaly against what I'm saying.

Old 26-02-2007, 11:52 PM   #8
CrankR
XR6 Madness

From memory they both have the same cams, just one link difference on the cam chain. YZF's valves open quicker. Prolly lighter weight on the fly wheel as well. All in all the YZF is set up to make thing happen with speed. Hit that rev limiter faster.

The YZF is made for nailing berms and getting to the next jump at a great rate of knots. I would imagine that most people who ride a YZF are at full throttle quite a bit and therefore a high chance that wear and tear can be an issue. Hopefully u pick up one thats looked after.

Having said that, the WRF can also be reved hard and can also fall into the wear and tear catagory, but then there is more of a chance that u may pick up a commuter bike that gets riden to work or does the odd fire trail on weekends, therefore not being 'thrashed' as hard.

End of the day both are great bikes and if you buying second hand then i would be getting them checked out by a mech. for valve wear etc. The new four strokes can easily cost more like $2000 for an overhaul. I have heard that the WRF's can go a long way if serviced regularly. Would imagine it's the same for YZF.
Custom Tune, Underdrives, Paccie #4490's with 2 1/2 Magnaflow
CrankR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 01:43 AM   #9
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

Quote:

What a load of krap. There is a big difference between a 426 and a 450.
KTM are as reliable as a lawn mower thats been throwen off a cliff. Wouldnt touch Suzuki or Kawasakis 4stroke stuff as they havnt long been into it. Where Yamaha and Honda know what they are doing.

Just remember you dont have to get a 426. a YZF-CRF-250F has more HP than my old XR400R.

Ride in the dirt befor you make up your mind. Because if you buy something thats to fast for you. Trees hurt. And they hurt alot. TRUST ME ive broken many bones on trees by riding bikes to powerful for me when i was younger.

Hope this helps.

Glenn
Old 28-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoR_
What a load of krap. There is a big difference between a 426 and a 450.
KTM are as reliable as a lawn mower thats been throwen off a cliff. Wouldnt touch Suzuki or Kawasakis 4stroke stuff as they havnt long been into it. Where Yamaha and Honda know what they are doing.

Just remember you dont have to get a 426. a YZF-CRF-250F has more HP than my old XR400R.

Ride in the dirt befor you make up your mind. Because if you buy something thats to fast for you. Trees hurt. And they hurt alot. TRUST ME ive broken many bones on trees by riding bikes to powerful for me when i was younger.

Hope this helps.

Glenn
Lol, a 426 has 2hp less than a 450, I wouldn't consider that a big differnce.

And as for crf is you're talking about the CRf-r you gotta be off your dial to touch one of those if you're not racing.

Old 28-02-2007, 08:26 PM   #11
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

And as for crf is you're talking about the CRf-r you gotta be off your dial to touch one of those if you're not racing.
It's more about the delivery than the outright power that makes the 450 so much better. It's alot easier to rider a 450 quicker for longer than the 426.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

Quote:

My mate has one. Scares the living krap out of me everytime i ride it. Cruzin in top gear which is 5th and mid revs and open it up and the damn thing does wheelies on me
:
Old 26-02-2007, 11:27 PM   #13
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks heaps mate. I know of a few people who can help me with the valve clearances but my biggest worry is being one that is already stuffed. It has taken me long enough to convince the other half to buy a bike. ( 3 years ) I couldn't imagine explaining that my 5 grand bike now needs a grand spent on it to repair the top end. Is there any other stories out there? I really appreciate your honesty.
Old 26-02-2007, 11:28 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I raced a YZ426 for 2 seasons, awesome bike, never needed to replace anything other than tyres, filters, oil and sprockets.

Old 26-02-2007, 11:32 PM   #15
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I raced a YZ426 for 2 seasons, awesome bike, never needed to replace anything other than tyres, filters, oil and sprockets.
Thanks guys, I love these good news stories!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 27-02-2007, 01:55 AM   #16
ThoR_
Holdens Fall Apart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Thats right. People that go on about valves n stuff are full of it. Depends how much the bike has been thrashed,raced,ridden,maintained. If its had all that taken care of and been looked after you will be fine.

If you want a bush bike get a XR400R. They have balls. There the most reliable dirtbike in the world today still. Change the oil every 4-5 rides with an XR the oil doesnt get dirty easy. As well as the oil filter when you do the oil. Spray the CRC on ya pegs, kick starter, moving bits and your fine.

Cheers
Old 26-02-2007, 11:31 PM   #17
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks xdaaron, I am buying a yz due to the fact my brother bought a KX 85 and i would love to go riding with him but he ain't going riding in any bushland. We plan to join out at Barrabool ( outside Geelong ) By no means would this bike have a hard life. My last bike was a 1987 XR 250 and i am well aware of the power difference. :
Old 26-02-2007, 11:41 PM   #18
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will definitely be a YZ. Barrabool is a motocross track with smallish jumps that would **** the WR off. Plus i like the flick ability of a dirt bike. The old XR was a dead weight. :
Old 26-02-2007, 11:45 PM   #19
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol, just watch the yzf with flat landing. it's designd to land on a down ramp the back wheel tends to launch into the air over small jumps.

Old 26-02-2007, 11:48 PM   #20
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Lol, just watch the yzf with flat landing. it's designd to land on a down ramp the back wheel tends to launch into the air over small jumps.
Shouldn't worry me too much........... Really can't see myself having the balls to go higher than a couple of feet in the air. Really just want to roost my 13 year old brother.
Old 26-02-2007, 11:49 PM   #21
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol well you should.

I remember I got owned by a kx80 on my xr250 once didn't want to stay around and chat afterwards lol.

Old 27-02-2007, 10:31 AM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's true, i scared the hell out of myself when i first switched from the KX250 to the YZF at Frankston, if you button off over a jump or steep kicker you'll end up tail high (and out the front door) very easily, best to keep the gas on a bit or give it a blap mid air to keep the tail down, its amazing how much more gyro effect the 4 strokes have.

Old 26-02-2007, 11:45 PM   #23
LilMissDrift

ill agree with anyone who says to buy a yzf426.... i had a yz 250.. then i bought my pride and joy.. a kx500... which was a damn hardcore bike... phwoar i loved it... but.. i i now have a yzf426 and honestly.. no complaints... cant ever go wrong with it... i just go thru a hell of a lot of tyres.. heheh my bad!
~Spoiler

~*.No its NOT my Boyfriends Car.*~
LilMissDrift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2007, 11:46 PM   #24
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol, yeah I've got a yz250 every liter of oil I buy basicly gotta buy a new tyre as well.

Old 26-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #25
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank you so much guys ( and girls ) I have done a search in ThumperTalk.com and the main differences seem to be a heavier flywheel in the WR, Gear ratios, etc. General consensus was that if you look after them then they will look after you.
Old 26-02-2007, 11:59 PM   #26
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got an 02 WRF 426.

Great bike. Never given me an ounce of trouble. But..... They are one of the hardest, most tempremental bikes on the market to start, especially if you put it down!! Every time i come off i just try and do whatever i can to stop it from stalling, or get it upright as quick as i can, then check what injuries i copped second!

The are a 4 stroke that really has to be ridden. It's pretty much all or nothing, there's not much in between.They dont pull from low revs at all. A honda or KTM will pull smoothly and rapidly from below idle up hills or wherever. The WRF/YZF will stall unless you get it some revs.

Once you put it down and flood it, you can spend an hour trying to get the mongrel going again.

They do go like a baastard! Got a mate with an 06 WRF 450, and straight line mine used to have the edge on his, but i changed my gearing so he's just got me now.

Seem to be pretty tough and reliable providing they are regularly maintained. I'd only touch a Yamaha, KTM or Honda 4 stroke. Suzuki and Kawasaki are time bombs even under 12 months old. Honda needs the valve clearances done twice as often as the KTM and Yammy which i couldnt be fagged with.

Cant go too far wrong providing it checks out.

Will you ride any bush? or just at barrabool? Might now be there for much longer. If i were in your shoes, i'd be buying a WRF. Barrabool dont look like getting the bucks to buy the track off the McAdams, and Breakwater is going to have the dozer out through it in the not too distant future to make way for road upgrades with no replacement site on the cards. Bush might be your only option left to ride local. Plenty of awesome spots just down the road anyway!
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 12:14 AM   #27
Parfrey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

find the bike you want then get it checked out by a bike shop. i see
dudes buy second hand bikes all the time and then end up spending another 2gs on a rebuild. (im a motorbike mechanic)
A yzf wont wear out any faster than a wrf if given the same maintence and all that. Remember they aren't like an xr so you cant ride it for years without touching the oil or airfilter, its a race bike after all.
Parfrey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 12:08 AM   #28
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey schmidty, nice to see a local with a Yammy... Its a damn shame about Barrabools fate. Especially after they announced Breakwater was closing down in 12 months. I would like to think that the local council could organise something along the lines of buying Mc Adam park ( it's out there, i know ) and providing a supercross track below the current motocross track. That way all the bikes are in the country and can't annoy the rate payers? Or the old Corio tip? They are never allowed to build on it so its not worth much money wise and it would **** off the geelong grammar boys! haha
Old 27-02-2007, 12:16 AM   #29
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by acosta32
Hey schmidty, nice to see a local with a Yammy... Its a damn shame about Barrabools fate. Especially after they announced Breakwater was closing down in 12 months. I would like to think that the local council could organise something along the lines of buying Mc Adam park ( it's out there, i know ) and providing a supercross track below the current motocross track. That way all the bikes are in the country and can't annoy the rate payers? Or the old Corio tip? They are never allowed to build on it so its not worth much money wise and it would **** off the geelong grammar boys! haha

Couldnt ever see the SMCC being happy about affiliating with the council and the council having control over the venue. Would get tricky.

What i really dont get is if i was Chad Reed, i'd just buy the thing and leave it for the SMCC to use. Seriously, the cash is chicken feed to him, it'd be an investment, and he has history with the SMCC and the track at Barrabool. He said he was serious about helping. If they do lose the land, it wont be through lack of trying. Pete Ovens has worked his ring off for the last few years trying everything to get the dough together. Be such a shame for future generations. And the government wonder why so many people end up smack head criminals. Cant have any good holesome fun anymore. Friggen greenies are flat out closing the bush up for no one to see, and government are flat out banning or restricting anything thats fun outdoors or creating so much red tape no one can affore to operate/do it!
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 12:21 AM   #30
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Amen, And you won't see the government help out either. Never mind that kids riding at Barrabool are riding scrutinized bikes, proper safety gear and carry compulsory ambulance insurance just in case. Maybe it is just easier to ride along eastern beach. Would soon get the council's attention. he he. Government forks out money left, right and centre. But no help for a motorcycle club trying to teach kids the right thing.