Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-02-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Default Buying a new computer... MAC or PC?

Hey guys, its come time to upgrade the businness PC's and lap top's.
I am getting sick of the windows platform, and the new vista really doesnt tickle my fancy at all..

can anyone who owns both a PC and a MAC please give me an un biased opinion on which i should go for.

I really want to get a MAC, but i know alot of people say they are useless (which i know is crap ) and arnt compatable with alot of things.
will i have dramas with the wireless internet we have got in the office etc??

IF you say go for a MAC, what are one of the better ones with all the fruit, i have no idea?! Laptop/Desktop... doesnt matter.

cheers
Rob

sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

You said its a business computer but what do you do on it? CAD? Graphics? Video? Office applications? These are a factor... and budget.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

computer is a computer all do exactly the same thing..

MAC
uses virtually the exact same system as linux
mac's are MUCH more suited for graphics design, supports more colours and other things
MUCH more stable than windows
Uses LESS resources than a windows machine
has most of the software you need, and most others a free anyways
everyone on tv has one
no viruses

DOESNT have as many software applications as readily available as windows
will take a while to get use if you havent used mac or linux before
by the looks are WAY more expensive
only has 1 i repeat 1 mouse button

Windows
we all now how to use a windows box, because of its layout, because we grow up using it at school, most available operating system.
everything designed for a computer is designed to run on windows, sometimes (more often now) mac
parts are cheaper
APPLE are idiots and over charge
windows can be free... LOL

if you look at a mac computer's price it may change your mind
though buy a system then put Mac OS on it... could be cheaper than buying pre made mac computer

its a hard one... tell me more of what its used for that might help

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 07:59 PM   #4
monkeydog
Shift for brains

Since apples switch to x86 arch, you could get a mac, if you arn't happy with it, put windows on it?
monkeydog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
Boss 260 Ute
Rice aint nice!

I no of a MAC laptop which doubles as a PC. One of my teachers has one
The teletubbies were bred by the wiggles by mating a rhino with a garden gnome. They were intended to be the ultimate warrior for world domination, cute like a gnome, yet violent like a Rhino. Instead they got 4 multicoloured, brainless rhino sized retards.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralliart
a toll bar hit my car because of my annoying padels
^^Those bastards! LOL
Boss 260 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 08:24 PM   #6
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydog
Since apples switch to x86 arch, you could get a mac, if you arn't happy with it, put windows on it?
Sorta. If you use Bootcamp, you can run Windows on it. But it is harder without Bootcamp because a Mac no longer uses a BIOS which Windows looks for.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 08:31 PM   #7
sfr rob

can you do it the other way around..
there are a few applications i want to use, mainly PROTOOLS,live audio recording music studio use, and I will be doing a butt load of web browsing, banking etc.
We are a transport company so there is a lot of data entry lots of online use etc, so say if I buy one of each, would it be wise or not?

What if it is possible to emulate a MAC operating system on a PC... I am sure it can be done, if so.. would it hinder the performance of a new computer running dual Op Sys?

I dont want to spend heaps either say 2.5-3 G's tops a unit, because i have to buy a 3 or 4 to update everything.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:15 PM   #8
XAGSV8
Member 178

Mac OS won't be around for too many more years. From what I have heard it will be very similar to any other brand (dell, hp etc) and use windows. Mac will either do this or go bust. Mr Gates has already bailed them out before.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 09:26 PM   #9
Skooter

As people have said the new Pentium macs can have both windows and mac os on them, i reckon go mac for the sheer excellence and quality in there engineering of the laptops and whack windows on it for the ease of use compared to mac os.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #10
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
Hey guys, its come time to upgrade the businness PC's and lap top's.
I am getting sick of the windows platform, and the new vista really doesnt tickle my fancy at all..

can anyone who owns both a PC and a MAC please give me an un biased opinion on which i should go for.

I really want to get a MAC, but i know alot of people say they are useless (which i know is crap ) and arnt compatable with alot of things.
will i have dramas with the wireless internet we have got in the office etc??

IF you say go for a MAC, what are one of the better ones with all the fruit, i have no idea?! Laptop/Desktop... doesnt matter.

cheers
Rob
you do know the new macks will run winblows and mack o/s ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 09:40 PM   #11
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the same token, you do know you can run OS X on a windows computer
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 09:41 PM   #12
Venomous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWXA
Mac OS won't be around for too many more years. From what I have heard it will be very similar to any other brand (dell, hp etc) and use windows. Mac will either do this or go bust. Mr Gates has already bailed them out before.
I'm pretty sure your sources are wrong.
Last i heard OS X is doing great lately.
Venomous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 09:59 PM   #13
sfr rob

So your saying that i can buy a MAC, and if i am unhappy with the Operating System, I can load Windows onto it and run windows without dramas?

so can anyone tell me which mac to go for.. I think i have decided on desktop rather than laptop, as i will have a spare one left with the upgrade.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:00 PM   #14
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rob, simple stuff really.

You are in transport, your computers are for office automation and accounting.
If you churn to Mac you will have to retrain your staff who will hate you for it, you will have to learn a whole new system that is nothing like what you have used before.
You will only be able to get tech help from pimply propeller heads, school teachers and arty farty wombats with pony tails and one earing that will not understant the concepts of credit, debit or audit but will spend thousands of hours telling how good macs are.
Try to get any logical sense out of them will be like asking a river to explain the advantages and need for a cannon exhaust and neons.

Mac users are usually very good at coming back with clever retorts because they fight the same fight over and over again and have done so since the Lisa. It is all Apple's fault. The Mac marketing backfired. Just like Volvos "worlds safest car" marketing attacted the worlds worst drivers, the Mac "worlds easiest to use computer" attracted the worlds dumbest computer users.

Your computers are like your trucks, they are a tool that you use to make money. Windows sucks, microsoft is the antichrist and vista is damnation eternal but unless you are a geek then this is the only path.

Mac is good for graphics and arty farty stuff, Linux is good for systemic operations but unfortunately Windows is the one that all the WORK applications run on so you are stuck with it......sorry.

As far as running windows on mac if tou don't like them. Well if you but 6 cyl autos you can always drop in a manual V8 but is is a lot of stress and never really works 100%
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 11:03 PM   #15
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

my mac is a G5, and runs both operating systems. as most features are standard, ie ethernet, sound, video, etc it actually is not more expensive than a pc.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 11:54 PM   #16
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
If you churn to Mac you will have to retrain your staff who will hate you for it, you will have to learn a whole new system that is nothing like what you have used before.
You make it sound so difficult. It really isn't. MacOSX can be "learned" in minutes. Most things under MacOSX work straight out of the box with no configuration necessary. In that respect, it is actually easier to use than Windows.

Also, you can get Microsoft Office for MacOSX. Not that I'd use it though, because you can get much better results out of it's native productivity software (which, incidentally, is easier to use than Office...)

Another advantage is that PC games won't run on OSX. Your staff will have to actually work all day. Imagine that.
Quote:
You will only be able to get tech help from pimply propeller heads, school teachers and arty farty wombats with pony tails and one earing
Or Apple. They have a help desk. And it works much better than Microsoft's help desk.
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 11:54 PM   #17
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

For a transport company, needing sytems for office automation and accounting etc I'd unfortuantely go for a PC with Windows, simply becuase its what everyone else has. Its the most common choice.

I have 2 macs for work and a PC for internet/play atm (and have had a few PCs in the past) and the macs have never given me any headaches, PCs/Windows on the other hand tend to go loopy after a while.

If you were going to get Apple systems Id reccomend the Pentium powered iMac Desktop. Not much larger than a PC LCD screen and power to boot!
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 11:55 PM   #18
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSWXA
Dude are you nuts? OS/X is doing quite well, as is Apple as a whole. Apple don't need Gatesy's money.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:00 AM   #19
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
You will only be able to get tech help from pimply propeller heads, school teachers and arty farty wombats with pony tails and one earing that will not understant the concepts of credit, debit or audit but will spend thousands of hours telling how good macs are.
Try to get any logical sense out of them will be like asking a river to explain the advantages and need for a cannon exhaust and neons.

Mac users are usually very good at coming back with clever retorts because they fight the same fight over and over again and have done so since the Lisa. It is all Apple's fault. The Mac marketing backfired. Just like Volvos "worlds safest car" marketing attacted the worlds worst drivers, the Mac "worlds easiest to use computer" attracted the worlds dumbest computer users.
So were you mauled by a Mac at a young age or something?

Every PC user Ive introduced to a Mac has bitched and moaned about the O/S being weird, and the lack of a second mouse button. Once they got used to the layout they relaized how much better the system is. Mac is foolproof and bulletproof.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:04 AM   #20
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I used to teach computing studies, with Macs and they were PERFECT. The kids couldnt get around the security and they didnt have any games to play on them. Then the parents pressured the school to get PCs and now there are all the games in the world available to them, the little bludgers.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 12:19 AM   #21
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
I used to teach computing studies, with Macs and they were PERFECT.
Amen brother!
Old 10-02-2007, 12:39 AM   #22
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
Then the parents pressured the school to get PCs and now there are all the games in the world available to them, the little bludgers.
Install Linux on them. Muahahahahaha... :evil3:

Back on topic, here's a link to an extremely relevant article published 2 days ago:

Windows expert to Redmond: Buh-bye

Have fun.
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 02:04 AM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, sorry, I withdraw all comments Rob.

You asked a question. I though you wanted advice. My mistake.

My personal experience is 22 years of this stuff including developing an application then designing and implementing the network for one of the larger transport companies in Australia, 30 odd depots in 4 states. (the upside down one).
Doing toe cutting for the largest Telco in Australia for the last 6 years has exposed me to many many PC, Mac & Linux systems and users.

Macs have their uses but these are not normally commercial accounting ones.

As I stated above, Mac freaks are very defensive and will fight to the death over their choice. Like Integra type R or Lancer buyers they are right, you are wrong and there is nothing you can say or do to convince them otherwise.

But do what you like, it is your company and you really didn't want advise, you had already made the decission and were just looking for affirmation.

Good luck with it I suspect you will need it.

Last edited by flappist; 10-02-2007 at 02:34 AM.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 03:46 AM   #24
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

Flappist, I think you're confusing the two robs here.
sfr_rob's just been asking questions.

I'm kinda confused as to the idea that you couldn't get games to run on mac. I've certainly played games on a mac, and I have an inkling that they're capable of playing flash. I'm guessing people at work would probably mainly play solitaire and flash games. Besides, I figure anyone with a work computer system will have at least one resident geek who could make it a little harder to fluff around.

Also macs don't have only the one mouse button, they've got two. Not a great implementation of 2 mouse buttons, but two of them nonetheless. That said, shouldn't really make too much of a difference unless you're gaming.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:13 AM   #25
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are thinking of buying Macs for the office, then how about going out and buying/renting one. You can then set it up at work and see if you can do everything that you can do on the PC. If it doesn't work out, sell it/return it and then you haven't then wasted money on a number of Macs that you didn't want in the first place.

Test it first, see if it meets your requirements. If it does, great, go ahead with your plan, otherwise go back to the drawing board.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #26
El_Poochino

Macs are useless, unless you lock yourself in an editing booth all day. IMHO.

You hardware selection is very limited, to what apple has. Where PC you can pick and choose to suit your needs.

Mac has about a total 5% market share. The reason there are little virus about for it is no one can be bothered writing one for them (hack a mac and you'll get some goofy pictures and a small porn stash, hack a PC and you can get $$$). This also leads to a lack of support. You have your Windows release, then you have to wait 5 months for the mac version, if any is comming. This extends beyond games.

I regard all Apple products like this. Cool looking, overpriced POS with a poor build quality. I have seen so many iPods go to the pearly gates.

I have used Macs, I wish I had one when I did video editing on a decrepit Windows 2000 system. But I regard them as crap.
El_Poochino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #27
sfr rob

Cheers thanks for all the info, but it is the same conflicting opinions i hear every time i a family friend about mac's ( engineer nerd, looks like Napolian Dynamite :hihi: ) and he always goes on about how windows is so much worse than using a Mac etc etc.

So i am left with another option really.. IF I decide to run pc's on windows, it will be btter, the thing is i dont need to train anyone, its a family run deal and My brother is also a nerd.............................................. ..... unfortunatly.
Wil it be possible to run ANY MAC software on my PC, the reason being there is a program i really want to use in conjunction with my protools recording stuff but its only for MAC.

What PC do you recommend i go for then, what are the good brands, so far i have had a compaq X2, that was good.
also had HP pavillion X2 < both piles of poo.
2 Acer laptops < OK.
1 DELL laptop < seems to be very good.

I have this feeling that they degenerate over time.. they just seem to go worse and worse as they get older.

sorry if this post is all over the shop..... It is a bit like my mind this morning, scrambled.

So If I were to go to Harvey Norman this morning for instance, what would I buy or around 2.5 G's desktop wise, I am going to get DELL laptop's because they seem to have been the best out of the lot so far.

Cheers.. and thanks for reading this utter cr ap .
Old 10-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #28
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline6
Dude are you nuts?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inline6
OS/X is doing quite well, as is Apple as a whole. Apple don't need Gatesy's money.
You don't remember Bill Gates bailing them out a couple of years ago on a video conference. They all boo'ed him. OS/X is not doing well with the market share they have. My sources are credible when it comes to Apple dropping this operating system and moving to windows only platforms. It may not happen but it has been discussed.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 11:50 AM   #29
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

ill put this in terms everyone can understand.

Macs = Rice

Macs are not the business platform of choice unless you are a graphic artist who worries more about what his PC looks like then what it can actually achieve. Pretty neons keep the eye entertained while you are drinking your decafinated moccha-chino.

The bulk of business software out there is made for PC.
The bulk of technical help you can get are qualified in windows platforms.
Your users are used to a windows environment and software suites just as the bulk of computers users are.
The bulk of peripherals and hardware drivers are tested far more for windows compatibility then mac.

This all equates to extra cost. (Go on 5 star Mac Generals, prove me wrong)

Sure there are proponants to the mac platform, and they are very vocal, because there are so few of them, and like most minorities, seem to feel they need to be militant and loud to survive. They are like the Hezbollah of IT.

In summary, buy macs if you like wasting money, teaching users an entirely new system, having your existing peripherals decide not to work intermittantly, have a helpdesk consisting of Ronaldo and Gerard who cut their teeth on the IIc and never went back, and essentially sitting around praying things work.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #30
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
Cheers thanks for all the info, but it is the same conflicting opinions i hear every time i a family friend about mac's ( engineer nerd, looks like Napolian Dynamite :hihi: ) and he always goes on about how windows is so much worse than using a Mac etc etc.

So i am left with another option really.. IF I decide to run pc's on windows, it will be btter, the thing is i dont need to train anyone, its a family run deal and My brother is also a nerd.............................................. ..... unfortunatly.
Wil it be possible to run ANY MAC software on my PC, the reason being there is a program i really want to use in conjunction with my protools recording stuff but its only for MAC.

What PC do you recommend i go for then, what are the good brands, so far i have had a compaq X2, that was good.
also had HP pavillion X2 < both piles of poo.
2 Acer laptops < OK.
1 DELL laptop < seems to be very good.

I have this feeling that they degenerate over time.. they just seem to go worse and worse as they get older.

sorry if this post is all over the shop..... It is a bit like my mind this morning, scrambled.

So If I were to go to Harvey Norman this morning for instance, what would I buy or around 2.5 G's desktop wise, I am going to get DELL laptop's because they seem to have been the best out of the lot so far.

Cheers.. and thanks for reading this utter cr ap .
If you are buying windows desktops and notebooks, the only two business supplies I would consider are dell and HP. The reason for this is simply their parts retention is alot better then alot of other companies. If you get a 3 year warranty(And yes you should pay the extra for it) you are guaranteed to be able to get the parts replaced if they burn out, rather then being told by a tech, oooh sorry man, they stopped making these boards a year ago, you will need to buy a new laptop/desktop/whatever.

I'd most likely ring dell directly, and setup a business account, and purchase directly that way. Harvey Norman are rape artists.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post