Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 29-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
EA Ghia

Default Transmission Question

Hey,

Seems like my automatic transmission is gonna shat itself pretty soon, as its slipping through the gears a lot, just doesn't drive as healthily as it should and after a bit of a thrashing (nothing hardcore), I noticed smoke/steam coming from under my car. After a quick look, it seemed to be the transmission leaking onto the exhaust or something. Could be wrong though.

This basically gives me an excuse to spend some money on something a bit more 'performance'. I drive a 90 EA Fairmont Ghia and I figure that instead of getting a reco stock tran, I could just upgrade. I'm leaning towards an auto (I know, lazy!!), but a manual isn't out of the question. What I'm wondering though, is if I can put a transmission from something such as an EBII or an EF or even an AU, straight into my EA? I know that if I got one from an AU, I'd basically have to change the whole engine, but what about the other E-Series models? Will an auto fit straight in without too much fuss, or do I have to get a different engine as well?

EA Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 10:34 PM   #2
Skooter

Au gear box fits in just as easy as an earlier box does apparently no mods needed, the only bad thing is the bottom two bolts dont fit but only slightly so I suppose you could reem out the holes abit to line them up.

A guy did it on Perth eseries his username is dodes2, i dont know if he is on here aswell.

Edit oops just realised you hace an ea so i guess you have the three speed, if this is the case its a bit harder because you dont have a computer for the box.
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 10:39 PM   #3
EA Ghia

Nahh, it's the 90 model, so its a 4 speed MPFI EA. Basically an EB I. So I could put an EF gearbox in, yeh? Just need to change the computer? If so, any recommendations on what transmission to put in it?
EA Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #4
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper483
Nahh, it's the 90 model, so its a 4 speed MPFI EA. Basically an EB I. So I could put an EF gearbox in, yeh? Just need to change the computer? If so, any recommendations on what transmission to put in it?

yeah mine! see below, pm me if your interested.

thanks
pete j
EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
Maximus
ED XR6

If I was you, I'd look around for a manual conversion kit, I know that EA - AU trannys all bolt up to your motor. You can get a kit pretty cheap, just watch the for sale section.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post