Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 17-01-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
EF_Frmnt
Banned

Default I've been sold a dodgy gearbox!

Recently i purchased a T5 off a forum member (i wont name names ill let them read it an explain if they choose)

Now this gearbox was part of a full conversion, and he stated when i asked the condition that it was in good condition and shifted nicely. As it was my birthday on sunday i decided id get it in before then so friday night i ripped the dash out an put the pedal box in and sat morning i put the manual gearbox in.. all good unti i started it up on the hoist and it is the NOISIEST gearbox i have ever driven

1st 2nd 3rd and 5th whine excessively, with 1st an 3rd being the worst 2nd rattles and sounds like its in 30 pieces inside the box..

My dilemna is i paid for a gearbox in good condition specifically so i wouldnt have to get it rebuilt, now im up for nearly 700 to get it rebuilt, and thats if theres no gears damaged. I believe i have every right to ask for some of my money back.

When i put all this to the person i bought it off he then stated he hadnt even driven the car with the gearbox in it. Now correct me if im wrong but doesnt that make the gearbox unknown condition.......?

EF_Frmnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
Jet-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Frmnt

When i put all this to the person i bought it off he then stated he hadnt even driven the car with the gearbox in it. Now correct me if im wrong but doesnt that make the gearbox unknown condition.......?

Sure does, I wouldn't even bother trying to get some money back, neither of you will feel like the right thing has been done in the end as you will still have a box thats not what it you wanted, your still going to be out of pocket, and hes going to be ****ed that he lost out big time... Just give the box back, get a full refund and he can go fix his dodgey box and you can keep hunting..

My 2cents
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:15 AM   #3
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did you fill box with oil?
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels

i was thinking the same thing check the oil
bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 11:18 AM   #5
poomba
xc - my other love

ooo, no oil. that would be embarrasing...

apparently pretty fast - 400rwkw BF xr6t!

FG F6 bottom end - GTX3582 - Nizpro 4" exhaust - Nizpro cooler - plazmaman intake - piping - plenum - batt relocation - injectors - surge &044 pump - valve work & valve springs - XCAL
poomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

My bad. Posted in wrong thread. :
Old 17-01-2007, 11:38 AM   #7
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:

So the selller has admitted that to you, well they have advertised it falsely and you are entitled to a refund.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 12:04 PM   #8
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

yer thats not cool, but now u can get a eb11-el box thats if its a EA box
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
XRated
Shoot.

Dump the oil and replace it with Castrol Transmax-Z.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

Sounds low on oil.

Dump and refill.

If still noisy, the get money back
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 01:12 PM   #11
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The correct thing to be done (once you have made sure like the others have said that you changed the oil and have enough in it) would be to give the box back and get a full refund (without the cost of the oil).

I realise others would suggest the cost of the oil be included in the refund but simply put you bought it without testing it (I gather it was out of the car). So the oil part was a risk you took.
Buying second hand is always risky and you don't get warranty unless buying from a business.
But if you have bought something falsely advertised then you are entitled to a full refund.

(Don't ask for part money back and keep the box, that is dodgy)..

Good luck with it all and remember whilst the admin might not be able to help out to much. I am sure they would like to know of the whole story (the person included so they can get their side). PM one and go from there.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 01:36 PM   #12
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you contact the person who sold you the gearbox before posting here? Most of these sort of issues can be sorted out between you and the seller without resorting to posting here. If you had contacted him and he was reluctant to refund then this might help sort it out.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 07:30 PM   #13
snortingboost
XF Ghia. All snorted out

Imagine if you just paid $1500 to have this conversion done professionaly and then found out you needed to spend another $1500 to have it rebuilt and put back together again. If I payed $700 to buy a conversion kit and found out the box wasn't worth $50 I'd be asking for my hard earned back to cover the repair of the box. I'd rather rebuild the sad box so then you 'know' its all good instead of buying another poor example.
snortingboost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #14
doofdoof23

maybe tip for the future you pay that bit extra and buy a reco box from a reputable dealer.
doofdoof23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:06 PM   #15
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

damn man this sucks, hope its just a oil prob
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:13 PM   #16
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
1st 2nd 3rd and 5th whine excessively, with 1st an 3rd being the worst 2nd rattles and sounds like its in 30 pieces inside the box..
Well if it's any consolation, my box I bought from Yagz was exactly the same. I dumped the oil and refilled it, and it was a little better. I drove it for a week, and then dumped the oil again, and refilled. It was a little better again. I then drove it for ages and it just "loosened up" and became less noisy, gear changes were easier, and it felt stronger. Mine hadn't been in a car for quite a while I think though. Nothing against you Yagz buddy, the box is a good box now!
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:16 PM   #17
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofdoof23
maybe tip for the future you pay that bit extra and buy a reco box from a reputable dealer.
Not necessarily. I bought mine off a member of the forums for $500 and right from the start, it's been great. It is in great condition, and hasn't missed a beat (besides the pedal box, but that's another story)

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:31 PM   #18
mark_TD
XR6 Turbo FTW

I hate C**ts that do s**t like that especially if they know its no good or don't even know the condition. It really s**ts me up the wall. I would never sell parts to someone if they are damanged or not known of condition. Good luck with it buddy and I hope you get you money back, you are entitled to every cent
Blueprint, 19" FG2 XR6 Luxo Rims, Momo Steering Wheel, XR8 Bonnet Buldge, Full Leather, 3.7 Typhoon Diff Gears, Force Lip Spoiler, De-badged, Ghia Boot Garnish, Pedders Adjustable Coil- Overs And Camber Kit

96 EL XR6 - (Daily)
Gunmetal Grey, 19" Typhoon Copies, Tickford Body Kit, Pedders Sports Ryders With Shortened Shocks And Camber Kit, Full S/S Difilipo Exhaust With Matching Extractors

mark_TD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:32 PM   #19
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

a reputable dealer will give a 6 month warranty

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #20
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_TD
I hate C**ts that do s**t like that especially if they know its no good or don't even know the condition. It really s**ts me up the wall. I would never sell parts to someone if they are damanged or not known of condition. Good luck with it buddy and I hope you get you money back, you are entitled to every cent
We have a swear filter on the forums for a reason, the next stage filter is not something you will like nor are there options to by pass it, please try to express your emotions in a civil manner

Thanks
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:43 PM   #21
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Just ask for part of your money back seeing it was a package not just a gearbox you purchased.
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #22
mark_TD
XR6 Turbo FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
We have a swear filter on the forums for a reason, the next stage filter is not something you will like nor are there options to by pass it, please try to express your emotions in a civil manner

Thanks
Sorry I will next time
Blueprint, 19" FG2 XR6 Luxo Rims, Momo Steering Wheel, XR8 Bonnet Buldge, Full Leather, 3.7 Typhoon Diff Gears, Force Lip Spoiler, De-badged, Ghia Boot Garnish, Pedders Adjustable Coil- Overs And Camber Kit

96 EL XR6 - (Daily)
Gunmetal Grey, 19" Typhoon Copies, Tickford Body Kit, Pedders Sports Ryders With Shortened Shocks And Camber Kit, Full S/S Difilipo Exhaust With Matching Extractors

mark_TD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #23
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Thank you
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #24
gngtho
Banned

Just try to get your money back if the oil thing dosn't work, and as for buisinesses mine gave me one year and they said if i had the slightest trouble they would even go as far as putting a nother one in, and you know they funny thing about it is that the box is second hand but not reco, and it still is in top nick, that how honest theese guys were.

And this is to the other party if your not sure about the product you are selling just be honest to the buyer, you never know he could of bought it of you anyway, or are you so money hungry you just had to lie.
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #25
Rollin
Banned

Bugger - It sounds exactly like the box I picked up in townsville and brought back for OED666 so we could convert his car a few years back! The guy (also from the forums) swore black and blue the box was in great nick, so I loaded it into the back of the XR and drove back to Brisbane, threw it in his car and it was a SHOCKER!

He took it to Mal wood and they pulled it apart, the cracks in the countershaft were so big Ben was surprised it hadn't split in half!

Whoever sold the box to EF Frmnt should contact him privately and offer him half the cost of the conversion back as a gesture of good faith (provided he actually put oil in the box before driving it of course!) due to the fact that they assured him the box was in good condition and shifted well, but had never actually driven the car the box was fitted to.

My 2c anyway...
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 08:39 AM   #26
EF_Frmnt
Banned

Thanks for all the comments guys and yes i put oil in it, very expensive castrol oil. (and the spigot bearing )

And i did contact him first before i posted this thread and he seemed reluctant to do anything but has since contacted me and offered compensation.

I dont want a full refund as i bought the conversion as a whole and have already put it in. Just goes to show there are still some people who will try fix there mistakes.
EF_Frmnt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #27
Felony
Wherever u go there u r

Quote:
Thanks for all the comments guys and yes i put oil in it, very expensive castrol oil. (and the spigot bearing )

And i did contact him first before i posted this thread and he seemed reluctant to do anything but has since contacted me and offered compensation.

I dont want a full refund as i bought the conversion as a whole and have already put it in. Just goes to show there are still some people who will try fix there mistakes.
So what was the verdict with the oil?
Old 18-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #28
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Feel for ya mate, I know whats its like to buy something off a forum member who wasn't honest.

Like others have said, try the oil replacement. Unfortunately with something like a 'box or engine, unless you hear them previously its hard to say exactly what they are like. What one person thinks is nice, another will call utter crap.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #29
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great to hear the member has offered you compensation.. Good stuff..
Fair enough that you only want the partial considering it involved other stuff..

Hopefully now you can get the box sorted..

Well done to the member this involved for trying to fix a mistake and make things right
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 01:27 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Well done to the member this involved for trying to fix a mistake and make things right
Here here!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post