Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 25-11-2006, 11:41 AM   #1
ardei
WP Fiesta LX

Arrow Handling: Zetec vs LX

Hey Everyone,

17 year old here with a mind to get a Ford Fiesta Zetec in the near future because of all the rave reviews regarding its handling.

However, are the changes they made to the Zetec in terms of handling (and drive in general) worth their weight in cash or does the LX handle similarly (albeit a bit worse, cause of steel rims, etc) to the Zetec?

Being a student, saving money by buying a LX over a Zetec means a lot especially if the difference is minimal. So anyone who has driven both can they please comment, after all anyone can make an educated guess!

Oh and if anyone can just give me a quick run down of any handling modifications that run well on the Fiesta (Rear Swaybar [Does Whiteline stock them for Fiesta??], Wider front tyres?, etc)

Cheers,
Andrei.

ardei is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Lagom

I wonder if the Zetec wheel/tyre combo actually weighs less than the LX.

I actually like driving Fiestas with the 15" combo - I'm one of these people that prefer smaller wheels (with the right tyre combo) to improve handling (i.e. reduce unsprung weight), as opposed to getting big wheels for looks. Eg. I wish the XR5 didn't have 18s.

The main advantage is that the Zetec has ContiSportContact 1s, which are a bit better than the standard Bridgestones on the LX. To be fair though, the LX is an excellent handling car - it just depends on how discerning you are as a driver.

Zetec would be a bit better, but don't forget that the original WP Zetecs had the same suspension as the LX.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
ardei
WP Fiesta LX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom
Zetec would be a bit better, but don't forget that the original WP Zetecs had the same suspension as the LX.
So do the WQ Zetecs have a different suspension to the WQ LX's and WP Fiestas in general?
Old 25-11-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
FlaminFiesta

yeah the new WQ zetec have better suspsension definetly spendin the extra money, and im prefer the smaller 15" wheels as well

lov ethe handling they give, but im not sure if bigger is better as i havent tried it for myself :o)
FlaminFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 12:23 PM   #5
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

The Zetec is definatly the pick of the bunch. You get ABS with EBD on the Zetec and upgraded suspension.

On the handling side of things the Zetec has lower, harder springs and dampers, thicker front sway bar, stiffer twist beam and low compliance bushes. It also has a close ratio box. These changes give the WQ Zetec the edge over an already excellent handing car.

I has a Stock WP zetec (which runs the WQ LX setup as the WP all got the same suspension) and fitted with some high performance rubber the speed it can go through corners gives many people a shock.

As for handling mods I wouldn't touch it until you have some KM's with the car under your belt. If your in Sydney come to a cruise and see how you feel with the car. That way you will know what the car does and what changes you want to make that suit your driving style. The Zetec can already pull 0.97g's(European spec, Ford Australia changes something but can't remember exactly what it was) which puts it right up there with other sports cars.

Easiest mod is the play with the tyre pressures and get a more performance orientated wheel alignment.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 01:04 PM   #6
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thinking of getting Fiesta Zetec? Read this thread first... http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=75230
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive only driven the LX but as you mention saving money as a student is not easy. For the dollars I wouldnt have thought WQ LX or WQ Zetec would be much different in handiling (both are great handling cars). The Zetec would give you a tad more of everything above the LX. Better 16inch tyres as opposed to 15inch Bridges on LX being one of the majors IMO. You can add $700 ABS/EBD on manual LX. As Ford is running LX (3 Door) Drive away atm $16490 & I know a dealer here in Adelaide is running out same set up out driveway for $15800 (new) so option up ABS $16500 drive away. If the plain is to put alloys/better tryres on some time down the track its good value. As im not a student (work f/t) I would personally go the Zetec if it was me. But value for money which is your question id say LX. As for the manual gearbox id love to know 4sure if someone could tell me 4sure is there any differeance in the manual gearbox of LX (WQ) or Zetec (WQ). (I was under the understanding there exactly the same).

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2006, 01:47 PM   #8
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

WQ LX
1st: 3.15
2nd: 1.93
3rd: 1.28
4th: 0.95
5th: 0.76
Final: 4.25

WQ Zetec
1st: 3.58
2nd: 2.04
3rd: 1.41
4th: 1.11
5th: 0.88
Final: 4.06
Old 25-11-2006, 04:11 PM   #9
zing

if u want the zetec, and want a compromse with $$ savings, then why not buy a used low km WQ Zetec?
Old 25-11-2006, 04:20 PM   #10
ardei
WP Fiesta LX

I'm actually a firm believer (well at this stage in my financial position anyway...) in buying used <3yr old cars opposed to new ones. So the delivery isn't much of a problem for me.

Never really asked about the gear ratios, however I was aware that the Zetec manual has different ratios to the other models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
On the handling side of things the Zetec has lower, harder springs and dampers, thicker front sway bar, stiffer twist beam and low compliance bushes. It also has a close ratio box. These changes give the WQ Zetec the edge over an already excellent handing car.
Yeh, I don't think I could live knowing that I could've got something just a little better. After all, it is the little things that count. But this will come down to me test driving both cars and making up my own mind. So until then, I'll keep speculating.

As for the cruise, sure I'd love to come along once. I'll just need assurance that there will be Fiesta's there on the day.

On a side note: I sat in the Zetec at the motorshow and for a Light 3dr car, that had good leg, head and shoulder room in the back seat! : .
Old 27-11-2006, 12:46 AM   #11
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardei
I'm actually a firm believer (well at this stage in my financial position anyway...) in buying used <3yr old cars opposed to new ones. So the delivery isn't much of a problem for me.

Never really asked about the gear ratios, however I was aware that the Zetec manual has different ratios to the other models.

Yeh, I don't think I could live knowing that I could've got something just a little better. After all, it is the little things that count. But this will come down to me test driving both cars and making up my own mind. So until then, I'll keep speculating.

As for the cruise, sure I'd love to come along once. I'll just need assurance that there will be Fiesta's there on the day.

On a side note: I sat in the Zetec at the motorshow and for a Light 3dr car, that had good leg, head and shoulder room in the back seat! : .
howdy mate...well the Fiesta's are always (well majority of the time) out numbering the Foci and other cars....so there will no doubt be some there....if you are worried about the zetec and LX just buy a WP Zetec....lol......you dont have to worry about any of that suspension crap but you get the zetec model you are after and you get the ABS and all for a cheaper price.....lol...anyway. im sure what ever you choose you will enjoy it 100%. good luck mate.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 11:08 PM   #12
ATSEIF DROF

WQ Zetec the way to go, superior wheel/tyre combo, standard ABS, firmer suspension setup, & close ratio box make the extra dollars well spent. Throw in the foggies, stereo wheel controls, better seat trim etc. The closer ratio box actually shaves a full second off the 0-100 so its quicker as well..
ATSEIF DROF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 11:40 PM   #13
Lagom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATSEIF DROF
WQ Zetec the way to go, superior wheel/tyre combo, standard ABS, firmer suspension setup, & close ratio box make the extra dollars well spent. Throw in the foggies, stereo wheel controls, better seat trim etc. The closer ratio box actually shaves a full second off the 0-100 so its quicker as well..
The German specs suggest it only improves it by 0.3s, which seems plausible.

1s is a lot to gain via gearing under these circumstances, probably too much.
Lagom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 11:49 PM   #14
ATSEIF DROF

German spec 10.7 is an estimate but fair enough. There seems to be a lot of conflict with the 0-100 info......I've seen everything from 11's (probably auto) to 10.9, 10.8, 10.4, 9.8 & 9.4. Can anyone else clarify these figures? My original info suggested the regular time was 10.9 & this went down to 9.8 with the revised gear ratios.
Old 27-11-2006, 11:53 PM   #15
Swaytan
Swaytan

As somebody who owned a WP LX & now owns a WQ Zetec, I feel justified in putting my opinion forward.

My LX was a great car, fantastic, handled really well. Actually, I could not fault it at all.

There is a huge difference between driving both of those cars, but you need to test drive both of them. If you ain't been driving long, you may not even really notice that much of a difference.

I will say I have 100% more confidence cornering in my WQ. I can hit a corner at 50kph with no braking, without even raising a sweat.

Whichever you buy, the Ford Fiesta is an awesome little car, no better a little car for a young driver like you. GOOD LUCK!!!
Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 12:37 AM   #16
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
German spec 10.7 is an estimate but fair enough. There seems to be a lot of conflict with the 0-100 info......I've seen everything from 11's (probably auto) to 10.9, 10.8, 10.4, 9.8 & 9.4. Can anyone else clarify these figures? My original info suggested the regular time was 10.9 & this went down to 9.8 with the revised gear ratios.
The WP Ghia did 10.7 sec 0-100km/h in the hands of Wheels, who do their tests two up.

Mine's best (WP Zetec) has been 11.013 0-100km/h. That was at WSID. It hits the 660' mark at 62mph, and that was my best 660' time.

Yep, I suck at the launch. Hehe.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 01:02 AM   #17
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

In my WP LX i got 9.64.. or 9.46. cant remember which way lol. but that was the absolute best i got.

Every other time was 10.2-10.9.

And had a couple in the low 11's
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 01:14 AM   #18
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

At WSID both me a Steffo got very similar times. We did 0-100km/h in around 11seconds, We hit the 1/8mile at 100km/h so it a very good indication so the time is very accurate. But because of the very sticky surface the car bogged down and I wasnt game enough for a very high RPM launch (4k+ would be needed).

According to Ford UK the close ratio box cut 0.3seconds off the 0-60mph time. 10.2 for normal and 9.9 for the Zetec-S.
Old 28-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #19
photn
AFF Post NAZI

put it this way AD. the Fez was not designed for inline speed. if your after sumthing with more grunt youd be better off buying and older car 2.2 sumthing or like the current lancer.....

The Fez has awesaum cornering ability, which is what it was designed for. if you want a nice drive, decant handling and a good little engine to cope, then the fez is good.

Mitch - was that with the CAI and exhaust. cause they may have contributed to the faster speed times. also was that at a drag strip or on the Dyno.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 11:33 AM   #20
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

I think i might need to hit the strip and see what the auto can do, concidering no one has a 0-100 time for it.
Old 28-11-2006, 11:37 AM   #21
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Fiesta loves 4 thousand RPM starts.

Spins the wheels a tad, but it drags it's *** off the line quick smart.

If you did that, the 0-100 time would have dropped a fair bit.
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
Old 28-11-2006, 11:45 AM   #22
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

The clutch doesn't love 4k starts. We both had plenty of fun at the drags.

Take the 9.6 times with a grain of salt. They were timed with a stop watch
Old 28-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #23
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

well aslong as you dont do 4k starts everday you shouldnt have a problem.

i owned my fiesta for two years. probably did ten 4k launches. clutch felt exactly the same as it did before i did them.

Car still felt and drove like new.

Loads of fun :
Old 28-11-2006, 07:45 PM   #24
ATSEIF DROF

Thanx photn. Was only giving the benefits of the zetec over the lx & the zetec is slightly quicker but not buying it for that reason, mainly the fantastic handling & german quality, they have a bit of character. For the record, has anyone driven the new Swift Sport, just curious how they go...
Old 28-11-2006, 07:52 PM   #25
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Was only giving the benefits of the zetec over the lx & the zetec is slightly quicker but not buying it for that reason, mainly the fantastic handling & german quality....
And the LX doesn't have German quality? :

Old 28-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #26
ATSEIF DROF

ie reasons why I'm buying a ford fiesta zetec in general, comment is not a reference to the lx hyperkid which I realise is made in germany (doh!), relax!!! Have you been drinking too much red cordial again :-)
Old 28-11-2006, 09:39 PM   #27
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually the green one reacts faster. -sigh- I hate lime cordial.

However seriously, I think it all depends on your priorities. When I (& the salesman) test drove the WQ Zetec he (cos I wasnt familiar with the car yet) chucked it on some wide turns, twisties, round-abouts at 70kph... VERY minimal body roll, no tyre screetch whatsoever. Swayman hit the nail right on the head, i wasnt scared sh!tless at all.

I like cars, I like driving but I just couldnt justify an extra $2500 for sport suspensions, 16" MP3 wheels, fog lights, slightly fancier interior.
If it was all the above + 84kW/150Nm.. i'd save up a bit longer to get the Zetec.

Last edited by HyperKid; 28-11-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 29-11-2006, 01:19 AM   #28
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
I like cars, I like driving but I just couldnt justify an extra $2500 for sport suspensions, 16" MP3 wheels, fog lights, slightly fancier interior.
If it was all the above + 84kW/150Nm.. i'd save up a bit longer to get the Zetec.
Well see, its actually quite good value.

The 16" MP3 rims on the WP were $1800 without tyres according to Ford.com.au. So the $2500 is cheaper then they cost with decent rubber, say the 195/45 R16 Continental ContiSport Contacts on my Zetec.

And that's just the wheels alone.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 01:29 AM   #29
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

When I bought my car the 16inch rims were a $900 option. I wish I bought them.
Old 29-11-2006, 07:04 AM   #30
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Well see, its actually quite good value.

The 16" MP3 rims on the WP were $1800 without tyres according to Ford.com.au. So the $2500 is cheaper then they cost with decent rubber, say the 195/45 R16 Continental ContiSport Contacts on my Zetec.

And that's just the wheels alone.
--Deleted--

Never mind, I guess we all have different priorities and taste. To each of his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
When I bought my car the 16inch rims were a $900 option. I wish I bought them.
Now that's cheap. But look at it this way, you can sell your current 15s... add the money with $900... get 17" wheels n tyres.

Last edited by HyperKid; 29-11-2006 at 07:17 AM.