Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-11-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Default trail bike for X'MAS. 6yr old boy.

i know opinions will be varied on this . i was in a bike shop today and seen a little trail bike 50 cc it had electric start, i instantly thought about buying it for my 6 year old son ( i always wanted one when i was a boy but the oldies wouldnt letme. ). i'd buy the full protection equip[ment as well .
is this too young for a boy to own a bike .
** where would he ride it anyway ???

what are members thoughts here on this subject . whats the risk ??
does anyone have any thoughts or stories to tell.
cheers in advance .

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
LilMissDrift

I have been riding Motorbike since I was about 5, and started MX when I was 7, with serous comps by 11... its never to young. as long as you make sure he understands what he's playing with. make sure you explain all the safety gear, and make sure u endorse he always wears it or the bike gets taken off him!
~Spoiler

~*.No its NOT my Boyfriends Car.*~
LilMissDrift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 05:23 PM   #3
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

buy it. the younger they learn to ride motorcycles and understand the limitations of a vehicle the better. My neighbours in the country (I was from Ingham prior to Brisbane), started riding their motorcycles at like 5 years old. I started driving vehicles at around that age too.
FordACE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #4
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

My nephew has been riding since he was 3,started with a 50 and has been on a 90 since he was 7.
They pick it up fairly quickly if they have an interest in it..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

I started at 7, but I havent ridden in a while now. Were some of the funnest days of my childhood on that bike. It was a KX 60 ex racing bike, lol. Went great until I seized it...
Old 13-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #6
pecker73
Falcon Addict

If you can afford one... GET IT.

One of my happiest memories as a kid.. Fanging around the back yard on the pee wee 50.

Had it chained up in the garage a couple of times - got caught without the helmet on...

No major stacks or broken bones, the odd bruise, usually a result of a punch up with neighbourhood kids who wanted to get a ride.....

Argghh the good old days...

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #7
gtfpv
GT

i must stress i'm in suburban sydney . and wouldnt endorse riding motorcycles on the road in sydney . but it's probably irrelavent to trail; bike riding.
Old 13-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #8
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i must stress i'm in suburban sydney . and wouldnt endorse riding motorcycles on the road in sydney . but it's probably irrelavent to trail; bike riding.
Theres a few clubs around that are great,best to get involved with one as a start..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
LilMissDrift

Thats so true, and trust me it'll help to in situations when he is older and gets his licence. out of most the p platers i know, they have crashed, and a lot of them written veichles off (i know one guy who's written 4 of his own cars off (writing 2 other cars off, and also completely stuffed his best mates vh with a 307 in it), i havent crashed (touch wood) but i believe it may have something to do with ive been ridin/driving since i was a kid, and maybe i have had a few broken bones, but its given me an idea of what can happen, instead of just takin ur kid to the RTA to get their l's and taking them driving on the road that afternoon if you get where im coming from. It teaches responsibility!
~Spoiler

~*.No its NOT my Boyfriends Car.*~
LilMissDrift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 05:33 PM   #10
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Quote:
I was in Melbourne.. Tore the backyard to bits, the dog lost his marbles, and for a treat, the old man would take us to the beach or out the bush...

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 05:56 PM   #11
HOON69
Banned

i try to get my kids the stuff i never could get,when it comes time i hope they can do the same for their kids,plus your kids will love you more then ever and when it comes to retirement etc then you can hit them up big time ;) hehehe

but yeah i reckon BUY IT ;)
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 06:37 PM   #12
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
I grew up with them living here in Sydney but ppl were more tolerant those days hearing trail bikes go up and down and police weren't as active in the bush trails.
Living in Ryde my 2 sons ride electric ones, no noise complaints and they have a ball. My 6yr old rides it very well, shoes and helmut are a must.
I just got the 14yr old a cool electric scooter Saturday. Great for local runs for Dad to get the paper or milk lol...
Check out extremetoys.com.au for a looksy.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #13
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
i know opinions will be varied on this . i was in a bike shop today and seen a little trail bike 50 cc it had electric start, i instantly thought about buying it for my 6 year old son ( i always wanted one when i was a boy but the oldies wouldnt letme. ). i'd buy the full protection equip[ment as well .

cheers in advance .
Do yourself a favour and buy one of the Jap bikes, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki or Yamaha.
It will cost you more initially, but it will be more reliable, easier to get parts for, and retain a better re sale when it is time to up date to a larger size.

Stay away from those el cheapo Chinese imports, they are cheap and nasty.
Old 13-11-2006, 07:07 PM   #14
nitroman
nitroman

Yep, get him riding and he'll love you for it. I've been riding scince I was 7 (Honda QA50) and still ride today(GasGas400) and I've got memories from throughout my riding career I wouldn't trade for anything. As the above has mentioned get him something decent (Honda,Yamaha,Suzuki) and you'll have a lot less greif and he will have a lot more fun!
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #15
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do it - he will love it and down the track when he is 16 he will be a MUCH better (read safer) driver for it.

My nephew started when he was 4 and absolutely loves it - he goes out with his father trail riding all the time (good bonding experience).
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 10:59 PM   #16
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Buy it.......... 6 is old enough to ride a small dirt bike.....

That way, he will be able to handle a decent 400-500cc by the time he is about 16......

Keep him off the bitumen.

AC/DC

I have a Husky 400 for sale, but he might struggle to kick it ! ! !
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #17
LUXO_8
windsor user

why not get one of those cheap pocket bike trail's for him to get a feel for it on...
then upgrade him to a propper peewee later on
you wont loose as much cash trying to sell it if he doesnt like it, and theres less of a chance of injury to him if he stacks the slow as pocket

just my 2 bobs
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 11:08 PM   #18
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My next door neighbour has 3 young kids and he has had them on bikes pretty early on just riding around in the back yard.

I wouldn't of minded having one even if it was just in the back yard. Sure beats the hell out of crusing round in a pedal powered F1 POS!

The younger you learn the better you are at something generally.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 04:28 PM   #19
turboute
turboute

Another one who started young here - think I roke my firt Motorbike at 5 - (given it was a Q50 though) then a PW 50 for a couple of years - then moved up to CR125 (older one - great for bush bashing / quarry riding though).

When I have kids they will be learning to ride motorbikes early - does wonders for self confidence and physical fitness. Also teaches them responsibility when it comes to looking after the thing.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 08:57 PM   #20
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah why not.
Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 03:33 PM   #21
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definatly go for it ;)

We have been tossing up the idea of getting the youngest (7 on 23rd Dec) one this year. We wanted it last year but couldnt get one in time.

My eldest started at 5 on a PW50 4 wheeler but very quickly progressed to a DX80 at 6 ......... little bugger kept on doing doughies so we knew he was ready for the upgrade ........

I know a lot of mothers would cringe but it is far better to get it now while hes young enough to listen to you still ;)
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #22
gtfpv
GT

well i bought one . it's a pitbike . dirtbike . from extremedirtbikes.com.au. its electric start, 4 stroke, air cooled , 50 cc semi auto 4spd . with chain drive . and spoke wheels . i hope it is ok , i did inspect it and it is very solidly built . for a chinese bike . $765. hard to beat . it has all the features of a yamaha tt50 @ $2250. less $250. =$ 2000
i looked at heaps lots of crap frame wise out there . i cant comment on the engine with this one . ( ducar ) but well built . apparantely they have parts as well .anyhow feel free to comment either way. cheers .
Old 09-12-2006, 04:06 PM   #23
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

As one whom was never brought up with any sort of motorised rides, do it! If my parents let me ride motorbikes, ATV's etc... I may have realised how much I loved cars (motorised anything) alot sooner! Im sure it is a win-win situation, ur kids will learn the limits of pushing a powered vehicle (which will be invaluable when they get their P's) to knowing whether it's something their passionate about! I will buy my kids whatever I think will help them in the future and I think this is a positive step!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 12:39 AM   #24
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of the bogan parents around here let their kids ride the trail bikes in public parks. Their attititude to life in general is "rules are made to be broken".
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 01:08 AM   #25
gtfpv
GT

any comments on the bike i bought . anybody?????
Old 10-12-2006, 01:26 AM   #26
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope your son enjoys it. My brother in law (who loves motorbikes) bought a motorbike for his 5yr old son for Christmas 2 years ago. I rekon it'd be lucky to have done 50 meters since then. :(
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 01:39 AM   #27
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
any comments on the bike i bought . anybody?????
You should be fine with that, my mate has the 125 pitty and i can ride it, we take all the kids for a ride sitting on the tank, just make sure you always tighten everything, things always rattle loose
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 01:49 AM   #28
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

cheers in advance .
I expect he will ove it , but your biddst problem when old enough is convincing him not to road ride , dirt is so much safer
good luck . ( the bike is not the largest expense , safety gear is)
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2006, 10:16 AM   #29
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

great little bike, but do yourself a favour and take all nuts up to bolt shop and replace with nyluk nuts so they dont come loose,as they all fall off and on a track you will never find the missing bits which gets expensive.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #30
SHIFTN
CL&JW BATHURST CHAMPS!

how's it going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
geeves can you pass the toothpicks please, i have some rice stuck between my teeth.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwley93
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
SHIFTN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post