Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-11-2006, 11:13 PM   #1
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

Location: yarram se vic in the shed listening to pinkfloyd and rubbing panels
Default Bad Shop Service

gday guys thought i would try and start a new thread. Dont no about you's guys but im just about fed up going into shops and trying to buy things you ask the counter staff for some help tell them want you want and they a give you a stare of disscontent and "say sorry your asking the wrong person i dont know" like an experience i had yesterday i went into a paint shop to buy some supplies for my restoration i asked what i could put paint wise on the inner guards of my project the guy stared at me and said "your asking me the wrong questions i dont know" there where only 2 staff in the shop so just wondering if anyone else has had the type of experience and if so just like some comments on your experiences.

bob 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 11:21 PM   #2
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

You know what annoys me...
When I walk into a retail shop, and not one staff member will get off their backsides to ask if I need assistance/Can I help with anything...
If they can't be bothered asking, then I really can't be bothered spending.
I am in sales too. As soon as a customer hits the door, I am up and walking towards them to help them out. It's really not that hard!

Cheers

Darran
Old 04-11-2006, 11:21 PM   #3
Kryton

may or may not be related.
i needed rear brake pads for my ZL.
Auto barn had Bendix Premiums for something like $70 so i said id look around as i had to buy front pads too.
went to repco and asked for " the cheapest rear pads you have for a ZL".
he looked it up and it came back as Ferrodo (which are pretty crap) for $68.
i said dont worry about it, ill go back and get the Bendix from Autobarn......it was at that point he said he had another brand which he could do for $30 brand new in box.

isnt that exactly what i asked for in the first place...........
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 11:25 PM   #4
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darran
You know what annoys me...
When I walk into a retail shop, and not one staff member will get off their backsides to ask if I need assistance/Can I help with anything...
If they can't be bothered asking, then I really can't be bothered spending.
I am in sales too. As soon as a customer hits the door, I am up and walking towards them to help them out. It's really not that hard!

Cheers

Darran
you know what really annoys me....salesmen that pounce on you as soon as you enter the shop.
seriously, give the customer a few minutes to look around.

on the other hand if i walk into a place knowing what i want (but would like some advice/guideance)....looking around for assistance in my purchase, hanging around the one area trying to get someones attention and no one comes to help, that is just as bad as being pounced on.

there is a fine line in sales. know what service your customer wants as soon as they walk through the door.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 11:27 PM   #5
Dazza TT
Now Prado Powered

Let me rephrase that! :P
I get up from my desk, and head to the front counter to serve them. 90% of the time my clients know what they are after, so it's just a matter of printing the invoice.

Cheers

Darran
Old 04-11-2006, 11:55 PM   #6
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

i know what you mean nothing worse than a pushy sales persons but seriously if you walk into shop there nothing worse than standing there for ten minutes or so with you finger up you behind waiting for someone to serve you
Old 05-11-2006, 12:01 AM   #7
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

I work in retail... and used to hear these complaints all the time as supervisor of checkouts at a department store...now i have changed jobs and have nowhere near as much contact with customers and it is GREAT!...And i am considered a 'people person'. I think that there is an evolving 'customer problem' as well, customers are ruder, more impatient, more dismissive and think much more highly of themselves.

Here are a few points to consider however...

There is a difference between sales and retail.

Not everybody who works in a retail outlet knows everything about every product/service they have or the uses and applications of such products.

They are people too and they have good and bad days, many tend to be uni students and at this time of year it is final exams...

The assistant is merely a reflection of the company. Typically, bad management, awful working conditions, value of customer to company will be displayed through the staff and their actions.

Sales assistants get abused from both sides of the fence, the customer who is unhappy that there are not enough staff to help them and the manager who demands that the same job and level of service be done with less people.

Some people just dont give a ***** about other people. These people can end up in any field from sales to teaching, nursing to telemarketing.

FPV & XR Owners Club of Qld
Want more info on our club?
fpvxrqldinfo@gmail.com
or see our Club Section

My Garage:
AU II XR8 Sedan "Lil T"
Hyundai i30 SR
yeah baby!
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 12:04 AM   #8
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with most posts so far :

But what ticks me off is rude customers.... :

Or ones that decide they are too damn lazy to put their blasted shopping trolleys in the trolley bay (Gawd forbid that would be too sensible : ).. They leave them in the car parking spaces (generally I only spot the sodden things as I am reversing a customers car into the spot... Massive pet hate of mine (the boss has a chuckle at me getting irritated by it, but he fails to mention to others that it peeves him also)....

:
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 12:17 AM   #9
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

ok ok so there are the good points also the bad points but remember the old saying the customer is alway's right for without them there would be a lot of people out of work and as for staff not knowing about the products being sold in said outlets or department's maybe they should be put in the department's that they know about or maybe there is a thing called training
Old 05-11-2006, 12:19 AM   #10
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCFordChic
I think that there is an evolving 'customer problem' as well, customers are ruder, more impatient, more dismissive and think much more highly of themselves.
I agree with this. When I used to work in a mobile phone repair service center, we used to get customers who would think they are the only thing in the world that mattered. They always looked at me/us as being the poor uneducated people who couldnt find a better job or whatever. I was always the first to put them in their place... politely. :Reverend: It is for this reason (and the fact that I think all people are equal) that I treat sales people nicely.

But back on topic, I find it funny that whenever I am browsing, I get the best service but when I actually go there looking for something specific, I can't get any help at all.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 12:23 AM   #11
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob 351
ok ok so there are the good points also the bad points but remember the old saying the customer is alway's right for without them there would be a lot of people out of work and as for staff not knowing about the products being sold in said outlets or department's maybe they should be put in the department's that they know about or maybe there is a thing called training
That is correct in saying that people should be trained.. If you are to sell a product/s then you should have a fairly good base knowledge of it/them.
In saying that though, if the person doesn't know then surely someone else in the shop should..

I know that at work if the other bloke there doesn't know the answer he immediately grabs my attention to get the answer for the customer (and yeah, sometimes I bluff my way through things too : )
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 12:27 AM   #12
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Hardware shops and Autobarn have one thing in common.

When I dont need assistance from a shop assistant they come, but when I do need assistance, they're nowhere to be seen.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 12:28 AM   #13
EL_futuraistic

yes i have found this particularly when going out to buy electrical goods Tv, Laptops Dvd Stereos etc......

I know majority of retail staff are uni students etc, but it is a reflection on the company if they offer poor service. At the end of they day they are employed to do a job.

no for my biggest hate..... the old "are you right there sir" reply "yeah.. just looking" and then they follow you around the store making remarks about items, or this is particulary evident at vehicle dealerships (which is totally different again) and small stores.

I know im a particularly difficult customer myself.... so i respect that when dealing with customers to a point, but as FIERY said i cant stand rude customers. Some people are just so rude, and impossible to deal with but thats life i guess.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 12:34 AM   #14
bob 351
MIGHTY MAGPIES 2010

not only auto barn but i have found the servivce in super you know who i mean [lol] absolutly woefull if you cant see what you want youve got to look it up in a parts book fair dinkum what do they think we are spare parts salesmen ha ha
Old 05-11-2006, 12:43 AM   #15
XR8GRL