Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-11-2006, 10:55 PM   #1
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What should I do? (Work)

I have been offered a job recently which is due to start on Monday, the problem is that it is only a 6month job and ill only come out with an insignificant certificate. I got a call from a work agency about a job I went for and they want me in for a 2nd interview with the employer, this is an IT job its a traineeship and its permanent. My problem is that the interview is next Wednesday, while im supposed to be working. Its down to the final 3.

Should I make up a dodgy excuse? The family want me to do this but I dont want to lose my job over it or make a bad start/impression.

Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 10:59 PM   #2
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeld-Wen Falcon
I have been offered a job recently which is due to start on Monday, the problem is that it is only a 6month job and ill only come out with an insignificant certificate. I got a call from a work agency about a job I went for and they want me in for a 2nd interview with the employer, this is an IT job its a traineeship and its permanent. My problem is that the interview is next Wednesday, while im supposed to be working. Its down to the final 3.

Should I make up a dodgy excuse? The family want me to do this but I dont want to lose my job over it or make a bad start/impression.

Your choice is simple:

1. tell truth and get time off for interview

2. pull a sickie say nothing and do interview

Which is going to give you the better start to a career the job you've got or the one you might get?

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 11:07 PM   #3
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Easy..
Start on Monday.. work well, make an awesome impression.. Go Tuesday, do the same again...
Wednesday you developed gastro (no-one wants to know any more once you say gastro : ) Go to the interview.. Go back to the other job Wednesday and work really well and impress heaps.

Wait to see if you get offered the other job.. if you don't, your new boss is none the wiser and you save face

Do whatever it is that you feel is the best decision for YOU though... hard choice..

Good luck..
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 12:18 AM   #4
XzLr8
Banned

i say stuff the 6 month job permanent work is better in every aspect id say **** the 6 month job off and get sum permanent work happenin...but then what would i know IM DRUNK WOOOOOOOOOOOO YEHHHHHHHHHHH
XzLr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 12:38 AM   #5
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeld-Wen Falcon

Go with the job you have got, make a good impression early on day two tuesday say you have a tooth giving you mega greif & the only time your dentist can see you is Wednesday go to interview & take it from there. Then if you are offered traineeship in IT well done. If not you still have a job.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 01:34 AM   #6
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

A permanent job with a qualification is better than havin a good job then gettin upset when they get rid of u in 6 months! Id go the gastro excuse as suggested, it works every time!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go in to the new job on Monday and as others have said "make a good impression".......they will be looking closely at you and believe me "first impressions count for a hell of a lot",....... towards the end of the day approach the boss and politely explain your situation and that you have to attend this 2nd interview on the Wednesday for the permanent IT traineeship etc........if you've made a very good first impression with you're new employer and you are honest and upfront with them, then they will have no problem with it as they will understand that your current position with their company is of course only for 6 months..........who knows maybe they might rethink the whole 6 month prior arrangement if they think you might leave and you have made a good enough impression on them.

"DO NOT TAKE A SICKY" after only being there for a couple of days, they will not look very favourably on that at all........you may well find yourself out the door by the Thursday.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 03:34 PM   #8
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Go in to the new job on Monday and as others have said "make a good impression".......they will be looking closely at you and believe me "first impressions count for a hell of a lot",....... towards the end of the day approach the boss and politely explain your situation and that you have to attend this 2nd interview on the Wednesday for the permanent IT traineeship etc........if you've made a very good first impression with you're new employer and you are honest and upfront with them, then they will have no problem with it as they will understand that your current position with their company is of course only for 6 months..........who knows maybe they might rethink the whole 6 month prior arrangement if they think you might leave and you have made a good enough impression on them.

"DO NOT TAKE A SICKY" after only being there for a couple of days, they will not look very favourably on that at all........you may well find yourself out the door by the Thursday.
Absolutely, I agree! Be upfront. you will gain respect.
If they don't respect that show of integrity you wouldn't want to be working for thm after six months.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 03:41 PM   #9
PDIDDY
Victory is Mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80

Hear, hear. I agree 100%. You only get 1 chance at a 1st impression, and people respect honesty more than anything. The people you start with Mondat already know it is only for a short stint, so they should understand if you are honest with them(I know I would be as a Manager).
Good luck, you will make the right decision. :voldar02: