Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #1
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Angry You Have The Right To Remain Silent ! ....wtf !

My mother in law just returned from a Quick holiday in Tasmania, when she returned i was suprised to hear the following ............

After getting off the boat in Tasmania and stoping at mc'donnalds for breakfast, when leaving the carpark she was pulled over for turning 'right' when the exit sign at the maccas entrance said 'left hand turn only'.

Imediatelly she was pulled over by police for making a right hand turn. Expecting to be let off with a warning (as she is 64 and it was an honest mistake as the sign was not clearly visible), she was most suprised and a bit annoyed to issued a $80 fine and loss of 2 demerit points, and after also being handed the fine being told "You have the right to remain silent , anything you say will be used against you bla bla bla....." !!!! ...wtf ! - being read your rights just for that ! , is this actually a standard procedure nowerdays ? . They made my mother in law feel like a criminal and i too personaly didn't like the sound of the situation. Any comments ? :

Fair enough she did the wrong thing , cop the fine and be done with it , but to be read your rights just for something like that !

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
My mother in law just returned from a Quick holiday in Tasmania, when she returned i was suprised to hear the following ............

After getting off the boat in Tasmania and stoping at mc'donnalds for breakfast, when leaving the carpark she was pulled over for turning 'right' when the exit sign at the maccas entrance said 'left hand turn only'.

Imediatelly she was pulled over by police for making a right hand turn. Expecting to be let off with a warning (as she is 64 and it was an honest mistake as the sign was not clearly visible), she was most suprised and a bit annoyed to issued a $80 fine and loss of 2 demerit points, and after also being handed the fine being told "You have the right to remain silent , anything you say will be used against you bla bla bla....." !!!! ...wtf ! - being read your rights just for that ! , is this actually a standard procedure nowerdays ? . They made my mother in law feel like a criminal and i too personaly didn't like the sound of the situation. Any comments ? :

Fair enough she did the wrong thing , cop the fine and be done with it , but to be read your rights just for something like that !
Cops :
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 06:50 PM   #3
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Hang on a sec. I thought you only get read your rights IF you get ARRESTED. Was that copper a young bloke fresh out of recruit school? I reckon he probably was and probably watched alittle too much TV.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
Hang on a sec. I thought you only get read your rights IF you get ARRESTED. Was that copper a young bloke fresh out of recruit school? I reckon he probably was and probably watched alittle too much TV.
Exactely , i though that was the go to , if your arrested then you get read your rights !. I think she is going to write a complaint and foward it to where the fine is supposed to be paid to .

Old 27-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

I have no issue with the infringement, you are to keep a clear and proper lookout. As for being read these 'rights', take the issue up with the Tasmanian police by way of written correspondence, highlighting the time, date and what was said, to call into question 'why it is so'.

A 65 year old aunt, a mother of a serving highway patrol member, received an infringement for not stopping at a stop sign. The NSW notice was issued after she slowed to a near stop, near approaching "idle" she said.

She was incredulous at this, but the officer was correct "the word is S.T.O.P-STOP Mrs . . ., not give-way"

People are too lazy and evidence daily is that too many people take the task of driving far too lightly. I have said, and I am convinced the existing monetary levels of 'general' driver infringements are way too low having regard their serious potential.

On the other hand, some penalties are way over the top, including those related to speed and radar detector possession.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 07:13 PM   #6
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

if the sign isn't clearly visable due to shrubbery etc, take a photo and send it in. Obviously from a position that you would be in in your car. Time, Dates, Locations etc will help.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #7
Sapper
Back to the AU

Why would you worry about being read your rights? Better than not knowing them. I don't understand how that would make you feel like a criminal. If its only an $80 fine i'd be pretty happy. In NSW you can be docked more than $100 and 3 points for not keeping left in a 90km/h zone. It sounds to me like there's nothing to worry about.
Old 27-10-2006, 07:48 PM   #8
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot xr6
Why would you worry about being read your rights?
The way that I look at it, if you're only supposed to be read your rights when you get arrested, it means the police officer didn't know his procedures. So... how can I have faith in the police when they don't know what they are supposed to be doing.

They are the keepers of the law, how can they keep the law when they dont know what it is. Thats what I'm seeing. Maybe I'm over reacting.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 07:56 PM   #9
Scott

Man, give the cop a break! FFS, it was probably the most dangerous thing that happened in Tassie that day and he was makin the most he could out of it. They must be hangin for Jerry Springer to do a show down there so they get some real action.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 08:10 PM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
The way that I look at it, if you're only supposed to be read your rights when you get arrested, it means the police officer didn't know his procedures. So... how can I have faith in the police when they don't know what they are supposed to be doing.

They are the keepers of the law, how can they keep the law when they dont know what it is. Thats what I'm seeing. Maybe I'm over reacting.
Not over reacting at all i recon , good point made .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8T
Man, give the cop a break! FFS, it was probably the most dangerous thing that happened in Tassie that day and he was makin the most he could out of it. They must be hangin for Jerry Springer to do a show down there so they get some real action.
No friggin way ! , he was quick enough to drop a fine on my mother inlaw when there was clearly no traffic around and she put no-one in danger . Fair enough about the fine maybe as said , but if he wants to be a 'follow every rule' cop then he must obide by it too ! .

Old 27-10-2006, 08:49 PM   #11
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Let's not turn this thread into a cop bashing thread (lest it be locked)
In the above incident you didn't indicate whether or not the "Left Turn Only" sign, was a regulated sign mounted in clear view on public property, or whether it is a private sign located on private property ie one installed by McDonalds themselves - in which case the police 'should only be enforecing the law at the property owners insistence.
The whole 'reading your rights' stuff does not apply at all in Australia(at least not in NSW, or any other state that I am aware). This means you CAN legally be arrested in Australia without hearing these words. The Statute of rights is an Americanism, perhaps somebody has been watching too much US Tele.
It is hoped that the police officer in question acted correctly & in good faith.if this is not the case then hopefully justice will prevail, and the charge dropped.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 08:52 PM   #12
Scott

XR6-VCT-2000

sar·casm (särkzm) Pronunciation Key
n.
A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit1.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 09:36 PM   #13
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OZ cops do not read you your rights.....why because you don't have any.

Seriously it is not required to be read your rights we don't have that system...if a cop wants to arrest he simpley says' you are under arrest'.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #14
Falchoon

Maybe the lady misheard/misunderstood what the cop was saying. He might of been saying "you have the right to contest this fine in court". Maybe the cop got confused and meant to say that but accidently said "you have the right to remain silent" by mistake. Obviously I wasn't there so don't know what actually happened, the only two people that do are the cop and the lady.
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 10:54 PM   #15
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falchoon
Maybe the lady misheard/misunderstood what the cop was saying. He might of been saying "you have the right to contest this fine in court". Maybe the cop got confused and meant to say that but accidently said "you have the right to remain silent" by mistake. Obviously I wasn't there so don't know what actually happened, the only two people that do are the cop and the lady.
I reckon this is somewhat plausible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
OZ cops do not read you your rights.....why because you don't have any.
Gold!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 11:01 PM   #16
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Another thread of conspiracies and general comments by most who really have no idea. Take the matter straight to the tassie cops or do some research on tasmanian law instead of just guessing what they should say according to american television.
Old 27-10-2006, 11:04 PM   #17
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
He was probably just being a tool (supertroopers style)
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2006, 11:51 PM   #18
cupic
Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000

Tooo much TV at the academy ,might pay to have training instead of fantasy for the new recuits.
Something like out of hawaii 5-0

Too much wacky weed
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2006, 01:27 AM   #19
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Don't know about the wacky weed, but tasmania is like the second or third largest producers of opium in the world. Being read your rights for a traffic infringement where you are not arrested is deemed harassment in NSW, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same in Tassie also. Maybe the poor fella was just upset because he'd only just found out that his sister can run faster than him now (kidding, my folks live in Ulverstone).
On the whole, the police in tassie seem to be decent people, so just write to them and explain your mother in laws situation. Whatever you do, don't let the incident discourage you or her from going to tassie, as it is a great place.

Quote: