Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-10-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU Power Window Problem

(AU 1 Forte, Front Power windows)
Hi guys, a few weeks ago the button on the drivers side stopped winding the passenger side window up, but would still wind it down. However the controls on the passenger side would still go up and down.

Now the other day, the passenger window stopped working all together. Can i just buy a new electric motor ?

I thought it was weird that the driverside controls stopped controlling the passenger window first.. Like there is some kind of other problem.

Any ideas ? Or would it just be easier to take it to Ford and get them to sus it out for me.

Ta,
steve

Old 05-10-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo
(AU 1 Forte, Front Power windows)
Hi guys, a few weeks ago the button on the drivers side stopped winding the passenger side window up, but would still wind it down. However the controls on the passenger side would still go up and down.

Now the other day, the passenger window stopped working all together. Can i just buy a new electric motor ?

I thought it was weird that the driverside controls stopped controlling the passenger window first.. Like there is some kind of other problem.

Any ideas ? Or would it just be easier to take it to Ford and get them to sus it out for me.

Ta,
steve
More than likely its just the copper contacts inside the switches that are dirty or dry&blacked out a bit from sparking. There is a procedure on here how to remove them and clean them out (it's pretty easy ) , do a search . cheers .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Pull out the switch and give it a clean as suggested. But before you do that, try pressing the switch about 40 times *really* quickly and see if that solves it.

Sounds strange, but it has worked for others and also me.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cool guys, ill give that a go tonight. Thanks alot
Old 05-10-2006, 03:23 PM   #5
bee
Starter Motor

Yeah it'll be the switches. The AU I had went through about 6 switches in 3 years.......
bee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 04:16 PM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

im too lazy to clean the switches in mine, so i just bang them really hard til they start working again.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:21 PM   #7
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Front passenger switch wasn't working for the passenger on the weekend. Driver's control was fine. I leaned over, triggered it about 10 times really quickly and it's all good again. Lasts for ages. Rear passenger did it about 1.5 years ago, but cleaned that one properly and no issues since. I think the quick-trigger thing just shakes some dirt aside or something, until the contacts get dirty again.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 04:38 PM   #8
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've got a similar problem with an AUII Fairmont. The connector to the LH Door switch sometimes needs a little bit of a jiggle. I think you can get contact cleaner from Jaycar or Dick Smiths that would help.

Also if anyone every gets the Smart Shield disabling the car for a period and for no apparent reason, there is a connector under the steering column that may need a bit of a jiggle and some contact cleaner too. This drove us nuts for years until a member on the forum gave me a little advice....
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #9
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, i just cleaned the switch on the drivers door, and the switch on the passenger door (wow, pretty dirty), but it made no difference.. The window is just dead.

So i guess ill go and buy another elec winder mechanism. Thanks for your help anyway guys
Old 05-10-2006, 09:23 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i seem to remember 33 times up 33 down with the switch resets it, pretty sure thats what i read, the motor might trip a breaker if the load is too much, if the window is slow too go up it might need lube in the window rubbers, silicone spray is apparently the go gl
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 09:29 PM   #11
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yup i tried the 30 to 40 odd up and down.. Many times. Many many many in all different combinations.
Neither switch on either door is working. :(
Old 05-10-2006, 10:00 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did you have the ignition on??
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 10:08 PM   #13
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For what it's worth, borrow or buy a new switch (they are interchangable) to determine that they are the actual cause, as has been mentioned, this is a common problem with the AU, I just repaired my front LH switch (again) this week, it's very uncommon for the electric motors to stuff up (I'm sure it happens) but my moneys on the switches. _2:
Old 05-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #14
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what i did was plug the loom that runs to the passenger side, onto the switch that i knew was working, and the window still dosnt wind up or down, nor can i hear any noise of it trying to.

mik : .. yes lol
Old 05-10-2006, 10:48 PM   #15
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...light=tutorial

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 10:55 PM   #16
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yup Racecraft, thats what i just did. Thanks for the tut by the way I was praying that would work, but nope :(
Old 06-10-2006, 12:09 AM   #17
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

just a tip , if anyone does have this problem and you find that the contacts are black inside the switch , clean the contacts off with some sandpaper or emerypaper etc and apply a small blob of vasaline to the copper contact , it may gather dust a little easier ( but dust usually isnt the problem ) , the vaseline stops the switch sparking and burning the contacts out .

I did all my switched back in january and they are still fine now , no problems at all .

cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #18
HLC
Audi S3

the window might have gone up a bit crooked and gotten stuck...

are/were your windows quick to wind up or SLOOOOOOOW...

maybe get a mate to sort of try and slide the window a bit while you are holding down the down button... just to un seize it.