Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
Longreach

Default Buying over EAST vs in WA

Basicly i was wondering, as there is a greater amount of people in the eastern states does that = cheaper second hand cars?? And if so buy much, or at the end of the day is crap still crap, and to get somthing of quality its gong to cost the same were ever you get it from?
When i say quaility i mean a well kept car, engine still has plenty of km's in it etc.

And To get a car from the east to the west what would you be looking at roughly? I wouldn't imagine driving it being an intelligent choice, but i am not sure what you would be looking at $$ wise to truck it.
Any rough figures much appreciated.

Pat

Longreach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
GANGA35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longreach
Basicly i was wondering, as there is a greater amount of people in the eastern states does that = cheaper second hand cars?? And if so buy much, or at the end of the day is crap still crap, and to get somthing of quality its gong to cost the same were ever you get it from?
When i say quaility i mean a well kept car, engine still has plenty of km's in it etc.

And To get a car from the east to the west what would you be looking at roughly? I wouldn't imagine driving it being an intelligent choice, but i am not sure what you would be looking at $$ wise to truck it.
Any rough figures much appreciated.

Pat
About 1000 bucks from Sydney to Perth.
GANGA35 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
turboute
turboute

Yes it seems that way, when I was looking for my car a couple of months ago I could get the same thing (AU3 Fairmont) for about 2k less if I flew over there to get it. Makes it almost worth while.

BA's are apparently going at 14k at auction over there, meanwhile over here they go for 17k+.

As for transport - ring some of the rail freight companies to get a price, make sure it will be in a covered spot though - I have heard about rocks getting thrown at cars on trains before.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
Longreach

That is fairly tempting, whast the km distance between Sydney and Perth roughly?? Just googled 4000km going to presume thats correct.
4000km is 40 lots of 100km.
40 times say an average fuel consumption of 15l to make it easy for maths is 600letre of fuel all up.
600 x $1.6 is $960

I'm not sure on fuel prices over east but in Geraldton 400km north of perth were on about $1.45. So thast being fair wearing, and presuming prices continue to rise and i wouldn't do it for 6 months or stuff like that.

Does all those sums look roughly correct?? I have only driven 4l inline 6's for longer periods of time, whats the consumption in a v8 like roughly, wouldn't be much worse than 15l would it??
Longreach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 08:17 PM   #5
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

W.A has extorsionist stamp duty on new cars. People buy caravans, cars etc in the east, to avoid the stamp duty.
EG, My Fairmont was $35k and I paid $2500 stamp duty plus onroads.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 08:23 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

IMO, the best place to buy cars from is TAS if you are worried about k's and condition. The vast majority are in alot better condition that the ones on the mainland. But they do ask for a bit more.

For whatever reason, when ever Im looking on carsales, QLD seems to have the cheapest cars.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 11:07 PM   #7
You Yangs
Dunnydore Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longreach
That is fairly tempting, whast the km distance between Sydney and Perth roughly?? Just googled 4000km going to presume thats correct.
4000km is 40 lots of 100km.
40 times say an average fuel consumption of 15l to make it easy for maths is 600letre of fuel all up.
600 x $1.6 is $960

I'm not sure on fuel prices over east but in Geraldton 400km north of perth were on about $1.45. So thast being fair wearing, and presuming prices continue to rise and i wouldn't do it for 6 months or stuff like that.

Does all those sums look roughly correct?? I have only driven 4l inline 6's for longer periods of time, whats the consumption in a v8 like roughly, wouldn't be much worse than 15l would it??
At cruising speeds you would easy get 10lt and could get 9lt all depends how many people in the car with you and luggage! I've had my AU V8 get 9.5 on a long trip
Old 26-09-2006, 11:09 PM   #8
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

yep us west aussies get reemed with car prices, particularly 2nd hand. The only positive is we get cheaper insurance.
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2006, 11:42 PM   #9
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Stamp Duty is 6% in WA... 3% in NSW
Old 27-09-2006, 12:17 AM   #10
dirt 01
Starter Motor

queensland and new south wales always seem to have badly faded paint and sun damage on cars more than a couple of years old. Thats something to think about.
dirt 01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post