Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
KUZMIN
Ruski

Default sorry to go off FORDS, magna question.

Hi all,
I have just purchased a late 94 model magna to do abit of running around in (as I have sold my maxima to my bro and am still looking for the perfect ford).
I have tried to become a member of the aussie magna forum, but its giving me some 'admin must give permission to post crap' so Im stuck.
The car is fine, but only a few minor things that have the worries with me are:

1-on start up, it starts ok, but when you give it a rev (regardless hot or cold) it tends to smoke for a bit...not continuesly though, and does not do this when driving, or when in park with foot on the gas...only when you first start it?

2-The speedo, odomiter and in-dash left indicator blinker are not working (however the left indicators are working, just the dash light).
The light doesnt bother me, but more of the fact of the speedo not working, and me having to do 10 or 20km under what everyone else is doing, which is starting to **** alot of drivers off including myself.
It has been booked in for an auto elec. about this issue on monday, however I am wondering if this is a common problem and what it is.

3-when turning right up a hill there is a strange tapping noice comming from the steering.
I know magna's tend to wear out their steering rack (i think thats what it is) where they make tapping noices from the steering when you turn. (mummy has a magna), but why its only doing it while going up hill, and turning right (all other times its fine).

4-How the hell do you take out the standard radio?...ads are starting to **** ME OFF!

again, sorry to go off fords, most people probably wont be able to answer my questions..and im sure alot of people are going to give me ***** about owning a magna, but if people could PLEASE stay on topic that would be much appriciated.

PS: The car is a V6 auto with 215,000 odd kays.

Thanks guys!

R.I.P. 18-02-06
-----------

1997 Nissan Maxima 3.0 S. Touring-very quick!
KUZMIN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 11:48 PM   #2
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUZMIN
I can't help you with the other stuff - but be very very careful of the auto transmission. 91-94 model Magnas (I had one as my first car and had this issue) tend to have a habbit of the auto transmission shitting itself around 250,000km. Just keep an eye on it because it's not cheap to repair. Otherwise mine was faultless so I can't help you with the rest, sorry.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 11:49 PM   #3
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

1. Could possibly be Valve stem seals, they tend to go after 170k or so on the 6G62/64's.

2. NFI

3. CV Joint maybe?

You are probalby better of just searching the AMC forums, most of the stuff has already been asked.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods

Last edited by Fairlane; 23-09-2006 at 12:02 AM.
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 11:55 PM   #4
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mitsubishi = bitsamissing ???? ...lol

the indicator thing is prob just a relay or bad wiring (missing bits??...lol)

good luck with it.

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 12:00 AM   #5
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Timing *cough* belt

Meant to be replaced every 80,000-100,000km, but the previous owner may not have.

I would explore that too.

Magnas are the classic cars for snapped timing belts, which will completely stuff your engine.

Not related directly to your queries (I don't think so anyway), but just a pointer, in case you weren't sure.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 12:07 AM   #6
peedee

Smoke valve stem seals
Ticking knock sound CV joint
Blinker light prob just a globe
speedo possibly just wire off at sensor or behind dash
Radio trim panel off with big screw driver and hammer LOL, not sure but would prob have to be some sort of trim to lift off earlier mr squishies dash came apart in three pieces
peter
peedee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 03:14 AM   #7
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like your "FAGNA" is a dud mate.

If you've got a bit of an idea of what you're doing, these are all relatively easy problems to fix. If not, either enlist the help of someone who does, or pay someone to do the work, in order of priority. I'd be getting your speedo working first, then looking at your cv, then blinker light, last would be the radio.

Ask a local car stereo joint for an easy way to get the standard deck out, you'll probably need to buy an adaptor plug anyway and they are usually pretty helpful with advice.

I hope you got it for the right price. I've got a mate who had a 3.0L v6 magna and it used to fly for what it was.

Hope you're not planning on selling it soon though, second hand magnas are worth about as much as a good pushbike!
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 03:37 AM   #8
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
I would take a Magna ANYDAY over a Camry, 6, Maxima or any bullshit.

Although I refer more to the TF onwards...

Hate Mazdas.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 11:22 AM   #9
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The magnas are great (the later model ones). We had a 2000 model that was perfect. In 6years the only issue it had was a fault alternator at 5years that was cheap to replace. We didn't decide to get rid of it, she was taken away from us. If you take care of it they are great cars.

Give me a Ralliart Magna anyday
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 11:38 AM   #10
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To take the standard radio out you pretty much have to take the whole center console apart. There are three screws in both footwells you have to take off, and two on the HVAC controls. It is pretty easy to do but takes alot of time, and you dont need an adapter plug. It took me and my mates about three hours to do the first time, then after that only took an hour. Make sure you earth one of the wires (cant remember which one) cause if you dont you'll blow the fuses for your dash lights and tail lights.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 12:12 PM   #11
KUZMIN
Ruski

Thanks for the feedback guys,
yeh I thought you had you had to take off the screws from the footwells, but as I undone the drivers side, I thought to myself maybe this isnt the way (you un-clip the radio with a sonata?)
The car is great besides those faults.
As said earlier I booked it in for an auto elec and he quoted me $80-100, he told me its most likely the actual speedo guage that went because the odomiter was gone too.
I will book it in for a general service on wensday, and possibly get the cv joint fixed. (how much does this cost?)
I want to get it all good and faultless because I will be doing a 2000km trip in her on thursday.
I paid 1450 for it (after negociating from 2k) with 2 and 1/2 months reg.
It has tint, elec windows, mirrors, etc.

Id still rather a maxima over a magna...much more luxo and much more power!

R.I.P. 18-02-06
-----------

Old 23-09-2006, 12:14 PM   #12
KUZMIN
Ruski

Btw: someone here said the auto's were crap for em in 91-94 years?...Its a Late 94 model there is a difference? (there is a 94, and a NOV 94 magna).
My ma owns a 96 magna, 4cyl with 350,000km on it...never had a problem...exept a few belts and cv joints.

R.I.P. 18-02-06
-----------

Old 23-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #13
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Yeah the Auto thing is always exaggerated, people are still talking about Auto problems, but in truth they were solved pretty much in the TR range.

My grandfather purchased a TF after having Headgasket trouble with an EF wagon (amongst other things) and has gotten 180,000 of trouble free miles out of, no a solitary mechanical problem, just maintanance.

Kuzmin if you do get desperate for answers, i can post the question on AMC for, ya, ive been a member for a few years over there.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 12:46 PM   #14
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 93 Magna has just clicked over 300K and ive never had a problem with the Trans, I got a new motor after 200K and various other repairs to CV joints
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 11:21 PM   #15
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
Wow... Did you stay up all night thinking that one up? Don't strain yourself.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 11:32 PM   #16
KUZMIN
Ruski

Thanks again for the feedback guys,
AMC still isnt working, so cant ask questions there, so here comes another.
Does anyone here know how much the cv joint costs to replace (by mechanic)...atleast aproximately.
A friend of mine took a quick look at the car today (who is studying aircraft engineering) and told me that most likely the piston rings are screwed because it smokes on start up...and reason it doesnt smoke when in drive is because engine expands as it gets warmer.
Could this be a fact?...god I hope not as that would require a rebuild/replacement:(

R.I.P. 18-02-06
-----------

Old 24-09-2006, 05:40 PM   #17
macca_779
Turbine Power

the auto in my misses TS Magna sh1t itself at 220k cost me 1300 to get it fixed. I don't rate the magna's very highly they have terrible handling, the auto is dumb as dog crap, taking forever to relise when you want it to kick down. The engine is gutless especially at highway speeds. And the fuel economy is average for a 4 cyclinder. I average 10.9 L/100 driving to work.

For a shoping trolley they do ride quite smooth and have good a NVH rating for their age.
macca_779 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 06:09 PM   #18
Windsor220
Now Fordless

The smoke will definetely be valve stem seals. Quite a common thing in TR-TS magnas both 4 cyl and V6.

The CV would be a couple of hundred I'd reckon.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 06:26 PM   #19
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUZMIN
Hi all,
I have just purchased a late 94 model magna to do abit of running around in (as I have sold my maxima to my bro and am still looking for the perfect ford).
I have tried to become a member of the aussie magna forum, but its giving me some 'admin must give permission to post crap' so Im stuck.
The car is fine, but only a few minor things that have the worries with me are:

1-on start up, it starts ok, but when you give it a rev (regardless hot or cold) it tends to smoke for a bit...not continuesly though, and does not do this when driving, or when in park with foot on the gas...only when you first start it?

2-The speedo, odomiter and in-dash left indicator blinker are not working (however the left indicators are working, just the dash light).
The light doesnt bother me, but more of the fact of the speedo not working, and me having to do 10 or 20km under what everyone else is doing, which is starting to **** alot of drivers off including myself.
It has been booked in for an auto elec. about this issue on monday, however I am wondering if this is a common problem and what it is.

3-when turning right up a hill there is a strange tapping noice comming from the steering.
I know magna's tend to wear out their steering rack (i think thats what it is) where they make tapping noices from the steering when you turn. (mummy has a magna), but why its only doing it while going up hill, and turning right (all other times its fine).

4-How the hell do you take out the standard radio?...ads are starting to **** ME OFF!

again, sorry to go off fords, most people probably wont be able to answer my questions..and im sure alot of people are going to give me ***** about owning a magna, but if people could PLEASE stay on topic that would be much appriciated.

Thanks guys!
I suggest you ask the people on this forum

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2006, 08:50 PM   #20
Scareybear
GRRRR.....

Put some thick oil in, I used penrite-50 in my wifes old magna, helped a bit with smoke, and quietened the timing chain down too. The best thing you can do after that is trade it in on a decent car...

If you sneeze with your eyes open, do your eyes pop out??
Scareybear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #21
KUZMIN
Ruski

As said before,
AMC (aussiemagna) forum isnt working.

Thanks for the feeback guys,
Mods, you can delete this thread.

R.I.P. 18-02-06
-----------