Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 21-09-2006, 10:09 AM   #1
EF_Ghia

Default 14.91 in a Fairmont Ghia stock auto & diff what do u guy's think.

Hey guys,

ran a 14.91 at WSID last night. I have an EF Ghia with stock auto & stock 3.23 diff no LSD. Im just curious wat u guys think, my first run was 15.47, second run 15.004, third 14.94, forth 14.91, fith run 15.6 (stalled to high and had wheelspin)

Mods are JMM Dev5, race series headers.

please let me know your opinions, cheers.

EF_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 11:05 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

II think thats about right, big cam and good headers will do that. Is it a series two ghia? XR engine?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 12:33 PM   #3
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

well done mate in a big ef ghia thats a very nice time! what mph and 60ft you getting?

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 05:33 PM   #4
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yea, thats definitly impressive. certainly a healthy 6!!!
Old 21-09-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Ghia
Hey guys,

ran a 14.91 at WSID last night. I have an EF Ghia with stock auto & stock 3.23 diff no LSD. Im just curious wat u guys think, my first run was 15.47, second run 15.004, third 14.94, forth 14.91, fith run 15.6 (stalled to high and had wheelspin)

Nothing wrong with a 14.9.Well done.However a dev 5 in a standard auto spinning ? Is it a standard auto with a hi stall converter? Stalling too high?

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey guys,

What's a JMM Dev 5; are race series headers tri y type or 6 into 1's?
northey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
EF_Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
II think thats about right, big cam and good headers will do that. Is it a series two ghia? XR engine?
Cool, nah its series one, no tickford gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
well done mate in a big ef ghia thats a very nice time! what mph and 60ft you getting?
Thanks Ruger, 60'... 2.268, 93.75 MPH, i was hoping for a 14.89 on my last run, im still trying to get my stalls right but i had wheel spin, if only i had one more run but the night was over. Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OED666
yea, thats definitly impressive. certainly a healthy 6!!!
Thanks OED666, wouldn mind it being as healthy as a 13.8 once i throw in a manual, just a nice thought!

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Nothing wrong with a 14.9.Well done.However a dev 5 in a standard auto spinning ? Is it a standard auto with a hi stall converter? Stalling too high?
Yea the auto couldn be more standard its quite pathetic & the spinning dont ask me, i have brand new Potenza G3's which i had down to 20psi & yea she spun alright wouldv stood their smoking if i didn back off. Yea stalled it too high (just passed its limits) so i was spewing that i didn get another run. All good though

Quote:
Originally Posted by northey
What's a JMM Dev 5; are race series headers tri y type or 6 into 1's?
Jim Mock Motorsport, Development Kit 5. Dont like the guys, they ripped me of something shocking, but thats who they are anyway. ill take a guess its tri y from the image of them in my head, sorry not sure about that one.
Old 21-09-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
EF_Ghia

Quote:
sorry didn exactly answer your question... no hi stall, plan to get manual in next month or so, i hate auto for street use plus i would like the extra 0.5 down the 1/4 if i can gain that much..
Old 21-09-2006, 08:51 PM   #9
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Cool, nah its series one, no tickford gear.

Thanks Ruger, 60'... 2.268, 93.75 MPH, i was hoping for a 14.89 on my last run, im still trying to get my stalls right but i had wheel spin, if only i had one more run but the night was over. Cheers

Jim Mock Motorsport, Development Kit 5. Dont like the guys, they ripped me of something shocking, but thats who they are anyway. ill take a guess its tri y from the image of them in my head, sorry not sure about that one.
93.75MPH is showing that your car is pretty much able to get a 14.3 to 14.6 with the right driveline.I highly recommend a tune.Autotech enginnering a site sponsor does tuning in Sydney.With a good tune and setup there is no reason to not get to a 14.1..

Btw your 60 footers suck so a manual should do wonders for you.Also go and get a crazy lsd conversion and some neck snapping gears.

I think that you get what you pay for in performance parts.Despite the negativity the stuff can and does work.Your time is good and your mph is very good.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again

Last edited by Stav; 21-09-2006 at 09:04 PM.
Old 21-09-2006, 08:57 PM   #10
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

hmm good result from a cam and extractors on an auto well done.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #11
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
hmm good result from a cam and extractors on an auto well done.
that's what I thought.
Old 21-09-2006, 10:57 PM   #12
EF_Ghia

Quote:
93.75MPH is showing that your car is pretty much able to get a 14.3 to 14.6 with the right driveline.I highly recommend a tune.Autotech enginnering a site sponsor does tuning in Sydney.With a good tune and setup there is no reason to not get to a 14.1..

Btw your 60 footers suck so a manual should do wonders for you.Also go and get a crazy lsd conversion and some neck snapping gears.

I think that you get what you pay for in performance parts.Despite the negativity the stuff can and does work.Your time is good and your mph is very good.
Thanks useless, i know what i can do to the car, unfortunately the best i can afford from here onwards is gonna be a manual. My 60' foot is not that great your right a manual will get my 60' foot right down to 2.1 or lower, also i expect to see 96 MPH with a manual as im am sure my auto is soaking up the leathal part of my midrange & top end power aswell.

My problem is iv spent $7800 at JMM & 2 trips from sydney to get it right with them and the best i have got is a 14.9, i left JMM in the beggining with a supposed 170rwkw... so if this was true i shouldv seen 14.6 14.5. But offcoarse its not the case, my car had 135rwkw on Spiro's dyno after the Dev5. Went back down there and forced them to find something wrong, they ended up sucking me into another 800 bux to replace my CAT as it was blocked & a set of race series. Its a pathetic business they run, giving people way over the top power figures which put simply is bullshitting them.

However the car is quick but not $7800 quick, fair enough not everyone can be lucky, but i was told i had 170rwkw when i left there which was utter bullshit.

Whats your opinion? I wanna know what ppl think

Also cheers for the advice! I wish i could afford a good tune & a 3.7 LSD along with some nice grippy tyres, that would be fun.
Old 21-09-2006, 11:01 PM   #13
EF_Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by northey
that's what I thought.
To be fair, the head has been heavily ported & polished, all new adjustable vernier timing gear installed & compression raised. This is all involved in the Dev5
Old 21-09-2006, 11:17 PM   #14
Stav
Smile

I think it doesnt look real good. You have spent a packet and deserve a better time.

Spiros dyno gave me 131 rwkws with dev 4 cam,gave a dev 5 131 as well. My friend hulk ef pulled 152 rwkws on the same day. Me and hulk went to wsid a few weeks back and he ran a best of 14.5 and I ran a few 14.8's.
Dynos do not indicate true performance.The track does. Realistically you would think that an extra 20 rwkws would have made a bigger difference.The bottom line is that the dyno is not real life. Don't regard it. It is Spiros tuning tool..thats all.

As far as advice...go the manual and your car should will gain 10 rwkws on Spiro's dyno and youll be able to launch that puppy like a mad man.The bigger bonus will be that you will gain power through the rev range due to less parasytic losses from the auto.Good luck and we are all here if you need to ask something.

Last edited by Stav; 22-09-2006 at 12:08 AM.
Old 21-09-2006, 11:29 PM   #15
EF_Ghia

Thanks useless. My opinion on Spiros dyno is he shows alot of "bad air fuel ratios" which "need a chip to fix". Im sure makes alot of money from that. Also dyno figures are only a guide as u say, but at the end of the day a proper dyno figure will be a very similar comparison to your 1/4time i think, i havnt yet seen someone with a proper dyno reading that hasn had a time which can be expected from that power figure.

Just for my sake, are there any I6 Fords out there with a standard auto. no hi stall & 3.23 gears doing 14.9 or less... im sure there is
Old 21-09-2006, 11:35 PM   #16
Stav
Smile

Highly unlikely mate.I have not heard of one yet.Not with a standard diff and auto...but lets see if anyone else has.

I still think its done well for the mods.

Last edited by Stav; 22-09-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old 22-09-2006, 07:06 AM   #17
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of the auto. They are generally more consistent and a little quicker than a manual over a 1/4 mile. Have you thought about getting a shift kit for the auto and a better torque convertor? If it's wheelspinning now with a stock auto it'll be worse with a manual.

14.9 is a pretty stout time for a full bodied 6 cyl. Have you tried leaving the line without stalling the car up?
With a standard/mild auto they tend to respond better from the convertor being "hit" by hitting the throttle quickly from idle. As long as the engine is responsive and can handle a bit of initial timing you might find a couple of tenths in there.

If you're just new to racing work on the startline technique a bit; it takes a while. Try a few different things. Stop the wheelspin. If it goes berserk from idle then you potentially have a very quick car there.
Try letting the auto change itself; then try manually changing. Use different revs for your shift points.

Don't take a whole lot of notice of a chassis dyno; it's only a guide.
Everyone who has mucked around with cars has spent a lot for little gain at some stage including me. Most are too frightened/proud to admit it though.
Keep working at it; I'm sure it's there.
Old 22-09-2006, 09:52 AM   #18
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$7800... man, you got fisted there... including a manual conversion i might have spend that much.

try what northy said. i recall my quickest time when mine was auto was when i just stood on it off the line.