Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2006, 05:45 PM   #1
Boss 290

Default whats wrong with the boss

why does everyone always complain that the gt and xr8 arnt good enough? most of the people who go on and on about the gt and xr8 having their ar$es handed to them dont even own one or cant afford one.....you are all forgetting that the xr8 has had more power then the ss up until now with the launch of the ve. the ba gt came out with 290 kilowatts which was 30 more kilowatts then hsv was offering with the clubby....holden and hsv are the ones trying to catch up. fpv has taken over hsv in the sales. i understand people may have been disapointed in the bf v8s because they have shown little improvements over the ba...but it didnt bother me having purchased mine in september 05.....why is everyone so surprised that the 6 cylinda is faster? im sure if ford release the v8s with a blower then you will see them ahead of the 6ts....a good dtiver in a gt can get times of 13.5 -13.8. yes there is cars faster but for the price you pay you get great sound, great looks, great handling, brakes and power....even the new camery has more power then the non turbo 6s...its easy to gain speed with a turbo so stop saying the v8 is dead for ford...it is only getting better...i love ford and my v8..
in saying that i must admit i also love the 6t and im not knocking them but i just think it is abit ridiculous that people continue to put it down despite it being the best v8 yet from ford...thank you for the rant

Boss 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
MYV8
Gota be happy with a Hump
Donating Member1

I love my XR8 and the power it makes. It's just a pity it is a bit porky compared to the commies.

BluePower Racing Developments ............... Best in the Business
MYV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 290
despite it being the best v8 yet from ford...thank you for the rant
I dunno about it being the best... I would rather have a 427 SOHC :

Anyway, that was a very nice rant... :P
The boss motors are an excellent piece of modern engineering

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I enjoyed your rant and I agree with you. Just as a comparison, I followed a work mate home from work about a week ago. He has a SS that he bought about a month before I bought my BF XR8. He turned left out of our access road and onto the highway. Un-restricted highway, just so I dont get it in the neck for breaking the speed limit. I followed him. He obviously kicked it the belly and I thought that I would do the same. He got the jump on me but the BF fairly quickly wound him in. I just nudged 220 before we both reached the 110k zone. We backed off and dawdled into town.

So I agree, why do so many bag the BOSS. And mine is a 260 not the 290.....

One factor in my favour was that his is a auto, I have a manual. But reeling him in was not too hard. And he was on the loud valve. I had a yabber with him the next day. He is a yank and not caught up in the holden / ford wars. Just an honest comparison.
So all :voldar02: you blue oval people with the beautiful BOSS up front, under that gorgeous bulge, hold ya heads hi.....

Cheers all.
Old 20-09-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Boss 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYV8
I love my XR8 and the power it makes. It's just a pity it is a bit porky compared to the commies.
with the new ve it seems that maybe the commie will be abit more porkier....if not the bf2 should lose a few kilos
Old 20-09-2006, 06:27 PM   #6
Boss 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
I enjoyed your rant and I agree with you. Just as a comparison, I followed a work mate home from work about a week ago. He has a SS that he bought about a month before I bought my BF XR8. He turned left out of our access road and onto the highway. Un-restricted highway, just so I dont get it in the neck for breaking the speed limit. I followed him. He obviously kicked it the belly and I thought that I would do the same. He got the jump on me but the BF fairly quickly wound him in. I just nudged 220 before we both reached the 110k zone. We backed off and dawdled into town.

So I agree, why do so many bag the BOSS. And mine is a 260 not the 290.....

One factor in my favour was that his is a auto, I have a manual. But reeling him in was not too hard. And he was on the loud valve. I had a yabber with him the next day. He is a yank and not caught up in the holden / ford wars. Just an honest comparison.
So all :voldar02: you blue oval people with the beautiful BOSS up front, under that gorgeous bulge, hold ya heads hi.....

Cheers all.
nice one mate
Old 20-09-2006, 06:31 PM   #7
fordAU

Not sure that I agree with you Boss 290 when you say that people complain that the GT and XR8 arnt good enough. Both are outstanding examples of locally produced performance cars, and so are HSV's/SS Commos.

In regards to the Turbo 6 being faster there is not much in it either way, my preference is the 8 over the 6 anyday.

In my opinion these vehicles have more than enough power/speed for the road, might be getting old and stale but to me 300kw in the GT is a stack of power.

Cheers.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 06:44 PM   #8
XRchic
Hello

Gee, I havent heard any of this before in the other 23459840698763 threads on the issue. LOL

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 07:18 PM   #9
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

It may have been said before but i do agree. I had a BA XR6T before getting the BOSS 290. For day to day driving I enjoy the BOSS more. The T was fast but boring unless giving it some. Plus having driven John's Superpursuit with just some bolt on's I know that you can make the BOSS even more fun for a reasonable amount of dosh. Yes the T will be faster with the same money spend on it but on the street that makes little difference unless you want to loose your car playing at the lights. My BOSS will never see the strip because it cost to much to F up.

Also on the Falcon being heavy, yes they weigh more lately but untill the VT the Falcon was always heavier than the commy. All cars are getting heavier, who would have thought that a corolla would weigh 1200kg. They used to weigh 900kg.

Baz

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

I drove a BF XR8 and an XR6t today. Both utes and both autos. I have to agree with you
BOSS290, the V8's got some stonk. I think I'll take the V8. Its not as linear as the turbo but when it hits that sweet spot I just loved it.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 08:14 PM   #11
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I'd buy the BOSS all over again just for the exhaust note..... :
Old 20-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #12
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
I'd buy the BOSS all over again just for the exhaust note..... :
Wait untill you put a decent exhaust on it...

What's wrong with the Boss...

Nothing really, the only thing that frustrates me is having seen how my dads Pursuit was Stock and now how it is after Bolt-on's + Tune is realising how held back it is from the factory.

Let them bag the Boss they wont be laughing when they see how well it performs :
FPV8U is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 08:19 PM   #13
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Luv my Boss great car great motor.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 09:07 PM   #14
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

I'm not tryting to stir up trouble but i was very disapointed in the Boss motor. It lacks that punch in the lower revs range that a V8 should have, the balance in the way it sits in the car just don'ts feel right when cornering, it's feels like the car want to go straight ahead. Yes i have had plently of drives in BA XR8 & I won't be trading up to one. Yes the Boss motor has more power but I think Ford needs to do more work on Boss motor before i think of buying one.
Old 20-09-2006, 09:21 PM   #15
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

I rate my Boss XR8 highlyially since I put a decent exhaust system on it. The startdard comment I get from virtually everyone that gets in it, whether they be a Ford, Holden or whatever person, is "how awesome is that note!". Yes they might lack a bit of punch down low, but I drive it everyday on the public roads, NOT on the track, so how much punch do you need if 260+kw isn't enough??
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 09:23 PM   #16
PHATXR8
PHATXR8

Sorry about the spelling in that earlier post...shouldn't type whilst drunk!!
PHATXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 09:27 PM   #17
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Love your rant, and I'd have to agree with it. Recent car magazines make the XR8 sound like crap, but after seeing and hearing them run around town makes me think otherwise. There have been some very fast modified N/A BOSS's on the strip and with further development it'll continue to strive to be the best V8 Australia has created. The sound of the Boss with a aftermarket header/exhaust at WOT is just awesome. It has a certain growl to it that is unique and enjoyable when driving. I'd have to say, dont knock it until you've tried.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 09:31 PM   #18
AFPGS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 290
why does everyone always complain that the gt and xr8 arnt good enough? most of the people who go on and on about the gt and xr8 having their ar$es handed to them dont even own one or cant afford one.....you are all forgetting that the xr8 has had more power then the ss up until now with the launch of the ve. the ba gt came out with 290 kilowatts which was 30 more kilowatts then hsv was offering with the clubby....holden and hsv are the ones trying to catch up. fpv has taken over hsv in the sales. i understand people may have been disapointed in the bf v8s because they have shown little improvements over the ba...but it didnt bother me having purchased mine in september 05.....why is everyone so surprised that the 6 cylinda is faster? im sure if ford release the v8s with a blower then you will see them ahead of the 6ts....a good dtiver in a gt can get times of 13.5 -13.8. yes there is cars faster but for the price you pay you get great sound, great looks, great handling, brakes and power....even the new camery has more power then the non turbo 6s...its easy to gain speed with a turbo so stop saying the v8 is dead for ford...it is only getting better...i love ford and my v8..
in saying that i must admit i also love the 6t and im not knocking them but i just think it is abit ridiculous that people continue to put it down despite it being the best v8 yet from ford...thank you for the rant
I was one of the very 1st BOSS 290 owners and still have the GT.It's the ultimate driving experience.At least when we thump on the loud pedal the car goes that's why the V8 is KING.
SAY NO TO LAG :
AFPGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 09:48 PM   #19
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

This thread won't last long........

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 09:51 PM   #20
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

More revs please!
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 09:58 PM   #21
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I dont think people believe its crap, its just that its not that great compared to others thats all.

Yeah it does the job, but alot of owners (that Ive read from here and talked to) would kill for another 1000rpm minimum. The issue is that it gets going and then the fun is over to quickly.

Yeap its quick, and yeah it sounds great, but compared to the LS2 it isn't that fantastic.

At the moment FPV is getting away with it, as the rest of the package is brilliant. Anyone know the current sales figures?

If someone said I could have a FPV for free, I would take a GTP (or a Force 8). If I was serious about racing then you would be foolish to go past a F6.

Oh BTW, not everyone has to own a FPV to have an opinion, there are alot of other ways to base on opinion other than ownership

There is one thing that would fix this, and that would be a supercharger. Long term, unless ford go to another engine you would think this would be the only option. Its proven with the US Ford GT so why the heck not! Even if they offered a supercharged version and people had to pay more I think it would still sell ok.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 10:40 PM   #22
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let's face reality, the Boss was cobbled together out of the US parts bin and seemed like a good idea at the time ... very marketable with twin overhead cams etc., as opposed to the pushrod GMH is offering. But let's face it, twin overheads cams ain't new ( except in mainstream OZ V8's). It's a huge heavy motor with the cams being the only up to date offering.

The Boss is quoted at 290kw. Due to marketing constaints the F6 is quoted at 270 but in reality they are around 300kw with 550 nm torque coming in at 2000rpm. Nothing much happens in a standard Boss until 3000rpm. Admittedly there's nothing very sophisticated about the F6 motor but it leaves the Boss wanting a little in performance.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 10:54 PM   #23
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Let's face reality, the Boss was cobbled together out of the US parts bin and seemed like a good idea at the time ... very marketable with twin overhead cams etc., as opposed to the pushrod GMH is offering. But let's face it, twin overheads cams ain't new ( except in mainstream OZ V8's). It's a huge heavy motor with the cams being the only up to date offering.

The Boss is quoted at 290kw. Due to marketing constaints the F6 is quoted at 270 but in reality they are around 300kw with 550 nm torque coming in at 2000rpm. Nothing much happens in a standard Boss until 3000rpm. Admittedly there's nothing very sophisticated about the F6 motor but it leaves the Boss wanting a little in performance.
Probably the most accurate post thusfar (IMO)... And I have owned both.
But it's a no win argument which has been explored SO many times here!
Each to their own... and at least we HAVE this glorious choice over the darkside! :eclipsee_
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2006, 11:14 PM   #24
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATXR8
I rate my Boss XR8 highlyially since I put a decent exhaust system on it. The startdard comment I get from virtually everyone that gets in it, whether they be a Ford, Holden or whatever person, is "how awesome is that note!". Yes they might lack a bit of punch down low, but I drive it everyday on the public roads, NOT on the track, so how much punch do you need if 260+kw isn't enough??
I agree with you completely. I have had many people come for a ride in my car and say they love the note of the exhaust. One person who regurlarly comes in my car is a holden fan with a SS commodore ute and they absolutely love the sound of my car.
Although I have never been in a XR6T or anything so I can't really say what they sound like.
Old 20-09-2006, 11:23 PM   #25
xr8ted

I think that it is all down to personal taste. I drove both the XR8 and the XR6T before perchasing, the main reason that I bought the xr8 was for the note that it had. It was like music to my ears. The turbo did punch harder down low, but in the top end the boss seemed to have the edge.

Regardless, if you have the money, you can make them both go like a bat out of hell.
Old 21-09-2006, 12:33 AM   #26
1970galaxie
Fat 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairlane_ghia
I dunno about it being the best... I would rather have a 427 SOHC :
I love my Boss motor under that bulge of my XR8 ute, but if I could get one, then I'd put a SOHC in it!

2003 BA XR8 Ute. Blood Orange. 5.4/5 speed.
2006 Territory Turbo. Silhouette. 4.0/6 speed auto.
1970galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 12:54 AM   #27
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

If anything bar power the note of the Ford V8's are far superior to those of Holden. Holden V8's reak of the computer controlled engine and just makes it sound shite. My dad test drove a VZ SS and a BA XR6T. Guess what he bought, the XR. The Holden sounded crap and I was tempted to get in the EL and see how close I could get off the lights! It's all propagandah, turbo 6's have always been quicker than V8's it's only the cost of petrol that has pushed them into mass production (even XR5T). If petrol went back below $1 everyone would pick up a Ford 8 cos they are the most reliable and tough sounding engine on the market! a FULLY JUSTIFIED RANT!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 03:21 AM   #28
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
It's a huge heavy motor with the cams being the only up to date offering.
There's nothing really up to date about them. OHC is 100 year old technology. So are pushrods.

All we're left with then is a huge heavy motor.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 03:47 AM   #29
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm going to risk death here and say i find the Gen 3 much more rewarding to drive. There is no substitute for the bonnet bulge and the note in standard form of the boss, but hell they are boring under 3000rpm, and its all over at 5000rpm. The auto XR8 in a huge disappointment off the line, very slow, struggles to light em up with or without brake. The XR8 handles like a boat with the engine up high, pushes the front through corners and just feels like the biiiig heavy car that it is. I'm not attacking it, just saying that there are a lot more rewarding drives out there in standard form, IN MY OPINION!

Modified is a different ball game, because well modifications can be many and varied so then must be judged on individual cars.

If people disagree with me, take an XR8 for a quick punt around some tight twisty roads. Its a to throw around, and after a good stomping, the fuel gauge was having a heart attack.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2006, 04:37 AM   #30
GREGXR8
SHOCKWAVE MK11 BA XR8

i agree. love my xr8 it's big, comfortable and the boss has more power than you can use on the road these days, and it gives reasonably good economy. i'm averaging 11ltrs - 100ks on the freeway. the last v8 i had that pulled around 14s was about 20 years ago. an xy with a 302 windsor with a fair bit of work done to it and a 650 holley on top. imagine the cost of running that today.
GREGXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post