Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-09-2006, 08:27 AM   #1
janek
Ripping it up

Default Cruise issue

Howdy all...

Im having an issue with my cruise...

Turn the knob, cruise on comes up on the cluster. Press +set, -set, or resume, nothing works.

It was working on the weekend, but not now...

Any ideas? Have checked fuses, the motor itself looks ok, but i havent dismantled it... Its got me stumped!

janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 08:53 AM   #2
HLC
Audi S3

are one of your brake lights out? if one is, cruise wont work.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:04 AM   #3
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

One brake light out won't affect the cruise (well it doesn't on my AU2 Ghia cos I drove to work this morning with a lamp out and the cruise worked fine!)

However the tiny 15A fuse for the cruise blew a while ago and that is for the cruise - and also the brake lights... meaning no cruise or brakelights... hmmm dangerous.

:-/
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 01:39 PM   #4
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Hi Janek,

I'm betting it's a fuse or a brake light. I've had a situation where my cruise wouldn't work (worked intermittently until it failed) and all my brake lights appeared fine. All fuses appeared fine.

I've learnt that fuses can blow and appear normal (depending on type).

After deciding it wasn't the bulbs, I got a replacement stop light switch from Repco and tried that - no luck. Took the car to a local automotive electrician and the first thing he did was pop in two new bulbs and the problem was fixed. Put my old stop light switch back in and it all worked as before.

It's so easy to waste money fixing problems with a car, so good luck! Please let us know what it was.

Regards,

Andrew.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Check the brake lights switch under the brake pedal ... what it can do it say the brake lights are on all of the time ... and that keeps cruise disengaged.

It's a common issue on all Falcons ... apparently a cheap part from Ford as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 06:48 PM   #6
janek
Ripping it up

hmm.. well one of my lights has been out for ages... havent gotten around to fixing it, but cruise was working...

Will check the switch and the globes, and also try replacing the fuse...
:S
Old 06-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #7
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

If its manual theres a button thing up the top of the clutch pedal, when the clutch is in it lets the button thing out and turns cruise off. Maybe this button is always out due to a bent pedal box or incorrect pedal height this was happening to me for a while, well i think thats what it was. hope this helps
Old 06-09-2006, 09:48 PM   #8
janek
Ripping it up

Nah mate, its not manual yet...

***UPDATE*** both the stop lamps were blown. Replaced them, its all good

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #9
janek
Ripping it up

BAH!

12 hours after i replaced the globes, the switch shat itself. Looks like we were all right!
Old 07-09-2006, 03:54 PM   #10
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

That's bad luck mate - strange coincidence tho. Are you sure?? Perhaps maybe you took it out and didn't put it back in right?

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 07-09-2006, 05:36 PM   #11
janek
Ripping it up

nah i didnt touch the brake switch... maybe that was a problem before anyway...

10 bucks for a new one, will go in tonight... but for now, no brake lights again :S
Old 07-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #12
Dauphin
Irregular member

I read somewhere on here that someone tries to avoid lengthy braking at red lights to save the life of their stop light switch by using their park brake, as it's a common fault.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:51 PM   #13
janek
Ripping it up

Lol.. i use neutral and park when im not moving almost 100% of the time...

Getting ready for manual me thinks

Theyre 10 bucks, so no need to be tight...