Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-09-2006, 01:19 AM   #1
jay_cee
Starter Motor

Default I Need to see the Light

I am sure somewhere amongst all the threads hides the answer to my question, its just that i can't find it. I have a 00 Au Fairmont (stock standard, yep, some do exist)and seeing as i am sick of being reamed by the local ford dealer when it comes to a bulb change, not that i mind in some cases, but if they used vaseline it would not hurt so much, so, my question to you guys is this,
How the hell do you get to the bulbs in the trip computer LCD panels, and while you are at it, the speedo, or more precisely, the little bloody panel that shows what gear your in, (its an auto by the way, to old to change gears now)
i know i can look down at the shifter, its just that i like every thing working, i just discovered i had this thing on the speedo a few days ago, i always wondered what that little blank panel was for, guess Ford are not wasting their time printing hand books, i should have read the damm thing ages ago, lucky i didn't, as i would have got ford to replace the bulb, and they would have reamed me again, im sure, my **** hurts enough as it is, so please have pity on me, and take the time to help, get as technical as you like, ill understand, i may be old, but im not mad or senile, although some would say that if your married, you may be insaine, i qualify for the latter, if that is the case.

jay_cee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 10:10 AM   #2
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

take out the instrument cluster and all the blubs are easy to get to. when you look at the back of it there are two blubs down the bottom that are different to the rest, they are for you LCD. be very gentle when doing these as i have replaced them and when i have put the dash back they dont woek. so when you do it put the plugs back in and turn the ignition on before fully installing the cluster.
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 07:14 PM   #3
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

on aufalcon.com there is a workshop article on how to remove the instrument cluster. check it out, its quite helpful

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #4
jay_cee
Starter Motor

Thanks for your help guys, it made things a lot easier, went to auf, read the article, and i thought it was going to be involved, too easy, new lamps, and all is readable yet again, many thanks
jay_cee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post