Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-08-2006, 10:09 PM   #1
Kil4Collingwood

Default Great bands, bad venues

So I just find out my favourite band, LIVE are coming back to australia but they are playing at the palais theatre (Melbourne) so not going as I hate that place (and Shannon Noll is the support act, could it be any worse?) so just wondering how many other people have missed out on seeing their faves because they hate the venue?

Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
coonpanelvan
Starter Motor

if you liked them that much, u'd go
coonpanelvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 10:48 PM   #3
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it was truly a great band.. and you truly enjoyed their music.. then no matter who the support act was and no matter where they were playing. You would go there with bells on..

Just my opinion anyway ...
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2006, 10:51 PM   #4
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The venue i hate is the thebarton theatre in Adelaide, being a theatre it has great acustics but all of the bands i like to go see are of the rock, punk, hardcore variety so the sound is tinny and crappy, but it is the venue of choice for alot of bands that come to Adelaide so i just have to deal with it. On the other side though Heaven which is now HQ has the best sound of any venue ive been to in Adelaide I saw Fantomas, Melvins and Tommahawk do a show there it blew my mind!!!
starkersEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 10:42 AM   #5
Juzdin
Starter Motor

Naah never missed a show cause of the venue or supporting act. I just go have a good time and leave.

LIVE and Shannon Noll are triple M whores, thats probably why he is supporting. Either that or they are both on the same label and are forced to do it. LIVE don't have as much pulling power as they used to.

You should go either way. Once they are gone you'll probably regret it.
Juzdin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 11:59 AM   #6
Miss_XR6

if u enjoyed them so much u would see them play no matter where there playing if u dont like the supporting act come a little late alot of times supporting acts dont get a choice who they play with and its to draw more crowds and revunue
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 12:01 PM   #7
FordFan86
meow

How about bad location, ie Adelaide. Half the bands I'd like to see skip us.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
Ringo
I see you....

2 years ago when LIVE where out here touring, The Tea Party where playing on the same night. The decision was tough but LIVE won.

Great show...went for 2.5 hours and Mrs Ringo fell in love with the Ed Kowalsyk. The fact he had no shirt, was swigging from a bottle of red wine, has a killer body and was dancing with his hips like no man ever does may have influenced her....hmmm

Ed is a great frontman and the interaction he had going with the audience was like nothing I had ever seen in Melbourne. I just enjoyed wathing Chad Gracey working on his kit - he makes it look so easy, he has influenced my own playing style massivley

Live are more popular outside of the US. They are huge in Holland, South Africa and Australia and are multi squillionaires a few times over.

Won't be in Melb on that night or else I would be there for sure.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #9
Kil4Collingwood

Yeah I probably should go but have seen them in concert a few times before and their new album was ahhhh how should I put it crap so money better spent on the wagon me thinks thanks for your opinions anyway.
Kil4Collingwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2006, 11:20 PM   #10
Doctor Sodways
South African Drift King

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkersEB
The venue i hate is the thebarton theatre in Adelaide, being a theatre it has great acustics but all of the bands i like to go see are of the rock, punk, hardcore variety so the sound is tinny and crappy, but it is the venue of choice for alot of bands that come to Adelaide so i just have to deal with it. On the other side though Heaven which is now HQ has the best sound of any venue ive been to in Adelaide I saw Fantomas, Melvins and Tommahawk do a show there it blew my mind!!!

The Thebby isnt that bad, hell, Nirvana played there, Heaven/HQ was an awesome venue, ive heard they invested into better sound gear too this time round. I was meant to go see The Angels there for their last show, but being underage back then i couldnt get in, ah well, these things happen. The Gov is one of the best live venues in adelaide though, hands down, Fowlers Live is overrated though

WWW.BRASSMUNKYMEDIA.COM.AU
Doctor Sodways is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 09:25 AM   #11
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Err... im not a fan of punk shows at heaven. Having said this, guttermouth was a good show there... but after drinking that much, could have been hannibal's pit for all i cared

Much much much prefer the unibar. It's a punk show - should be crowded, smelly and dark!!!

There's certain bands i'd go anywhere to see. Others that i'd pass on if the venue sucks.
Old 17-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #12
whiskieboy

has anyone been to the palace (melbourne) avenged sevenfold are playing there sunday. and i just wanna know what the sound is like in there?
whiskieboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 05:08 PM   #13
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Err... im not a fan of punk shows at heaven. Having said this, guttermouth was a good show there... but after drinking that much, could have been hannibal's pit for all i cared

Much much much prefer the unibar. It's a punk show - should be crowded, smelly and dark!!!

There's certain bands i'd go anywhere to see. Others that i'd pass on if the venue sucks.
I saw Strung Out at the unibar not long ago and i reckon they have lowered the max ocupancy cos it didnt seem as crowded as usuall which would have been dissapointing for the lads.

I will be seeing Atreyu at HQ in sept hopefully it should kick ar$e with the new setup!
Old 17-08-2006, 05:51 PM   #14
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
I saw Strung Out at the unibar not long ago
Haha - you were there as well hey?? Awesome show. Although admittedly i was pretty hammered by the time the support bands had finished (still mourning the loss of my favourite hat). Was good to meet the guys after the show as well.

Yeah the crowd did seem a bit thinner.... and i assume that the tix sold out...

Cant wait for summer.... hammering down pints on the balcony when its 30 degrees at night...
Old 17-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #15
Doctor Sodways
South African Drift King

Quote:
Cant wait for summer.... hammering down pints on the balcony when its 30 degrees at night...
Why wait till night, can do it all day if money premits, ill be there most of sumer again, staying away didnt help me pass so its back to the bar i say ::hihi:

WWW.BRASSMUNKYMEDIA.COM.AU
Doctor Sodways is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 08:59 PM   #16
WOLF
Track Red XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskieboy
has anyone been to the palace (melbourne) avenged sevenfold are playing there sunday. and i just wanna know what the sound is like in there?
mate some of my fave gigs have been at this venue (all metal bands basically), but that was during early 90's with the last one being '96. Anyhow, the sound and venue were ace back then....as for nowadays I wouldn't have a clue but looking forward to seeing Danzig there next month :sm_headba :
WOLF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 09:20 PM   #17
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Anyone know what the sound quality is like at Stadium Australia? Thats the one in Homebush, Sydney. I'm going to the U2 concert there in November and I dont want to put my hopes too high for the sound quality. Hmm... I need a date for that too. lol

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2006, 09:29 PM   #18
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
Anyone know what the sound quality is like at Stadium Australia? Thats the one in Homebush, Sydney. I'm going to the U2 concert there in November and I dont want to put my hopes too high for the sound quality. Hmm... I need a date for that too. lol
Never get your hopes up for big venues for sound, generally depends where your seated/standing. Small to medium venues will always have the best sound quality.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 01:22 AM   #19
starkersEB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Haha - you were there as well hey?? Awesome show. Although admittedly i was pretty hammered by the time the support bands had finished (still mourning the loss of my favourite hat). Was good to meet the guys after the show as well.

Yeah the crowd did seem a bit thinner.... and i assume that the tix sold out...

You got to meet Strung Out? im so jealous out:

I was staraight as a die that night i had to drive :(

Yeah my GF tried to get tix at the last minute and had no luck
Old 19-08-2006, 02:01 AM   #20
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

A lot depends on the band , how the PA is set up...and the atmosphere of the crowd.

One of the best concerts I've been to (many years ago) was Joe Co cker at the Capitol in Sydney , Shocking venue but the concert "blew us away".

I saw Neil Diamond at the Hordon Pavillion , (mmm, shows my age) and the sound was brilliant , also saw the Bee Gees in the same venue , would have to be the worst concert I've ever been to. Another "bad" concert was Don McLean (wife's fav.) in the State Theatre (I think) Bad venue , Bad artist".

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post