Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-06-2006, 11:24 PM   #1
BLUAU
Starter Motor

Question Strange automatic door UN-locking fault on AU1

I just discovered today that my series 1 AU Forte's doors all automatically unlock simply by opening the left hand rear door using the outside handle.

Doesnt matter whether the car was locked using the remote or using the key in drivers door lock.
I have no idea how long it has been like this...... its obviously a major security issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?............... any idea how to fix it?

Help please.
Regards, Dan

BLUAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 11:26 PM   #2
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUAU
Doesnt matter whether the car was locked using the remote or using the key in drivers door lock.
I have no idea how long it has been like this...... its obviously a major security issue.

Has anyone else experienced this?............... any idea how to fix it?
The door locking mechanism inside the door has most probably gone. That door will never lock, and because you are opening a door, it causes all the other doors to unlock. I wouldn't take your car out many places. You'll need to either get a new one, or get that one fixed.

Cheers
Old 22-06-2006, 11:31 PM   #3
mr_xr8
Capri GT/TS50/GTR

we had the same problem with the ef. it went to ford twice to get it fixed.

TS50 Build
mr_xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2006, 11:59 PM   #4
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This exact thing happened to me on the rear driver's side, I discovered it just after I got the car home when I bought it. The actuator needs to be replaced, you can get the entire locking mechanism for ~$70. It's a reasonably easy job to do yourself too, Ford will try and charge you 300 bucks, so save yourself a couple of hundred and get the bit and do it yourself. Like LG said, it's just that that door is always unlocked so opening it opens the whole car up. In the meantime if you can't get the part immediately take off the door trim and disconnect the rod going from the outside door handle to the catch mechanism, that way the door can't be opened from the outside. Make sure the child lock is OFF before you do this, or else you won't be able to open it from the inside either! At least you'll be safe from thieves. Good luck.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

I have a similar problem but its not a broken actuator, It doesnt always happen though, only occasionaly. I know when its going to do it aswell as when the doors are locked, if it makes 2 buzzing noises, I know I can expect all the doors to come unlocked when I attempt to open 1, but if it only makes 1 buzz, I know its all locked OK. I have a feeling its a problem with the body computer modual playing up (which also happens to be causing engine grief for other reasons). your car wouldnt happen to be a late model AU 1 would it (ie DEC99/Jan00)?
Old 23-06-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
BLUAU
Starter Motor

Thanks for the replies and advice. I'll pull the door trim off tomorrow and take a look.
Dan
Old 23-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #7
GUTLES
Adam.

I've had this problem too & it is very common on the AU's..

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 10:31 PM   #8
BLUAU
Starter Motor

ok... I found the cause of my door lock problems today.

After buying some torx bits, i removed the door lock mechinisim. Removed and opened up the electric actuator and found a broken plastic worm drive shaft............. probably a 10 cent part but I'd bet my left nu.... errr foot that it cant be purchased seperately.

I ended up drilling a small hole in each broken half and fitting them back together with a steel pin and some good ole super glue.... hopefully this will hold until I get around to buying a new lock mechinisim from ford.

While I was at it I decided to take a look at the non working power window switch... pulled it apart and cleaned up the little contacts... suprise suprise it works like a new one.

Regards, Dan
Old 24-06-2006, 10:38 PM   #9
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUAU
ok... I found the cause of my door lock problems today.

After buying some torx bits, i removed the door lock mechinisim. Removed and opened up the electric actuator and found a broken plastic worm drive shaft............. probably a 10 cent part but I'd bet my left nu.... errr foot that it cant be purchased seperately.

I ended up drilling a small hole in each broken half and fitting them back together with a steel pin and some good ole super glue.... hopefully this will hold until I get around to buying a new lock mechinisim from ford.

While I was at it I decided to take a look at the non working power window switch... pulled it apart and cleaned up the little contacts... suprise suprise it works like a new one.

Regards, Dan
Found the same thing when I had my AU, when I super glued the plastic shaft it woked only a couple of times.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2006, 11:18 PM   #10
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

What about a second hand one from the wreckers? It might be cheaper, but I suppose theres a risk of it not lasting as long. But then what caused it to break? Something too tight and not working properly? Needs lubrication somewhere? I had problems with my AU LH rear door lock mechanism but fixed it without requiring parts, after dismantling it (I seem to remember it needed some minor rework -I cant remember exactly now, and lubrication ).

Also on my AU I went around all the window switches and cleaned them all up.
It didnt take long and was satisfying in that it stopped all problems thereafter with the windows.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 12:15 AM   #11
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia
What about a second hand one from the wreckers? It might be cheaper, but I suppose theres a risk of it not lasting as long. But then what caused it to break? Something too tight and not working properly? Needs lubrication somewhere? I had problems with my AU LH rear door lock mechanism but fixed it without requiring parts, after dismantling it (I seem to remember it needed some minor rework -I cant remember exactly now, and lubrication ).

It didnt take long and was satisfying in that it stopped all problems thereafter with the windows.
There just a plastic gear with a shaft all in one piece, it just gets stressed and gives up......2nd hand the whole mechanism is $65 approx.
Big job for a person to take off all door trims open unbolt every mechanism and put some Vaseline on the gears.
Maybe time for a tech article with pictures to be written for aufalcon.com.

Old 25-06-2006, 12:21 AM   #12
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I volunteer you

It's pretty simple just a few screws & bolts holding in the trim and 3 torx bolts in holding the lock.

The hardest thing is lining it all back up when you reinstall
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 12:23 AM   #13
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
I volunteer you

It's pretty simple just a few screws & bolts holding in the trim and 3 torx bolts in holding the lock.

The hardest thing is lining it all back up when you reinstall
Dont have an AU anymore....becuase you say its simple go for it...

Old 25-06-2006, 12:25 AM   #14
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haha maybe if another one goes I will.
Actually I should have taken photos when I installed the auto window ups that would have made a good article
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2006, 12:54 AM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia

I got one for my RR door from FTG for $75 including postage, IIRC. That was 12 months ago, and have had no problems at all with it.

I have a supply of late model e-series ones, but they don't fit the AU (typical).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 09:03 PM   #16
BLUAU
Starter Motor

Just an update for anyone who may be having similar problems.

I picked up a used but apparently "tested" replacement actuator from a local wreckers yesterday for $65.
Tested?..... yeah right.
It too was in the same state as mine.... broken worm drive, atleast I got a refund though.

Tried a few other nearby wreckers without any luck so I gave Ford spares a call..... new superseeded actuator (I'm guessing its a BA part) is $143 but also requires a wiring loom adaptor at another $12.........

I think I'll just bite the bullet and buy the new part rather than risk a second hand one only lasting a short while.

Regards, Dan
Old 08-06-2007, 01:52 PM   #17
keenan
Starter Motor

Default au xr6 same problem

Hello folks.
I have the same problem with my au series 1 xr6 back door. When my car is locked,opening the back left side door, it opens all 4 doors. I see by the threads that i can fix this problem by purchasing a rear door actuator.
My question is - Do i have to buy all 4 door actuators?, as I also had this problem with my old ef and i had to buy 4 door actuators.
Any help is appreciated.
John.
keenan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 02:05 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You only need to buy one. The AU part has now been superseded by a BA part, and requires a loom adaptor to fit the AU (but this is only relevant if buying new from Ford).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 11:15 PM   #19
nikos
mezzo forte

There IS write up on the forum somewhere about fixing the worm gear.
nikos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2007, 11:18 PM   #20
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos
There IS write up on the forum somewhere about fixing the worm gear.
Technical Resources found on the above tool bar 3rd from the left.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/vbporta...article&id=320

Old 09-06-2007, 02:28 PM   #21
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

yeaah i got this problem with my 99' AUI Fairmont ... but its the rear right door behind the driver ... sh!t's me off! ...
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 11:37 AM   #22
goldenchild
Starter Motor

Same here for my ford 99, there is a real trend here
goldenchild is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2007, 02:06 PM   #23
AUIIISR

Yea Same here, havent fixed it yet, cause my car dont go far these days, now I no what to do
AUIIISR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post