Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2006, 05:41 PM   #1
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Default Driving in Melbourne

I have spent the last 5 days driving around in Melbourne.

I have to give you credit, there are some great eateries in Lygon street, and some awsome yum-cha in sprinvale (Gold Leaf) and I got to have a Pork Roll for the first time in 12 months.

HOWEVER, driving in your city sux. Some taxi drivers need to learn what indicators are for, hook turns need to be abolished, and people need to stop using their horn.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

In Victoria (mexico) blinkers are optional or more of get out of my signal, and speed limits should be obeyed at all times but most young people take them as a suggestion, and older people take them as going too fast .......

I much prefer to drive in Sydney where its organised chaos, in Victoria its just plain anarchy.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 06:09 PM   #3
Nappa
Impressive...

I know a couple of peope who have said they are too scared to go driving in victoria because we are all nutters...... its true
Nappa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 06:15 PM   #4
max
LWBforME

Yeah, Melbourne's got that big city feel. I have to get psyched up once I make the approach on the Western Ring Road. You can feel it coming!! Being an Adelad, the critical mass of the big city is undeniable, but on the whole I have been fairly relaxed in driving around as I've been going there for many a year. It is brisk, no doubt about it, but generally you know what people are doing. Taxi driver behaviour is an issue in all states, in fact all countries! Adelaide for its small poulation I think contains the most inconsiderate, incompetent and stupid drivers per capita than any state in the country.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 06:22 PM   #5
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
and people need to stop using their horn.
Its weird that you say that. Before moving to Sydney a year ago, I used to live in Melbourne. Been driving in Melb for 6 years and I hardly ever copped the horn. When I moved to Sydney though, I always cop it even if I'm a fraction of a second late off the lights. Or sometimes when I'm in a traffic jam, I cop it too when I cant move.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
HOWEVER, driving in your city sux. Some taxi drivers need to learn what indicators are for, hook turns need to be abolished, and people need to stop using their horn.
hook turns are fine if you know how to use them, and atleast the roads in melbourne make logical sense and are relitivly easy to find your way, unlike the complete mess sydney roads are, overpasses, underpasses everywhere, not to metion most of the streets are one way only, sydney roads are most certainly the worst roads in australia.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 06:49 PM   #7
parawolf
beep beep

Melbourne's layout does make sense - but yeah the majority of Melbourne drivers cannot drive (or is that should not drive) it gets worse in the wet. What I always see, people speed by 10 - 15km/h in a 60km/h zone and then when it becomes a 70km/h zone the same people drive at 8 - 12km/h under the limit.

Oh, and if you think driving is rough - try riding a push bike on your commute - though that is improving as more and more people are riding bikes these days thanks to the petrol prices.

Taxi's I at least find predicable. It is those in a white courier van or the majority of people that are driving 1 up in a 7 seater car.
Old 20-06-2006, 06:49 PM   #8
EFFalcon
Last warning

sydney roads = useless
melbourne rules = useless
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 07:57 PM   #9
Aussie_Geo
Aussie_Geo

[QUOTE=parawolf]Melbourne's layout does make sense - but yeah the majority of Melbourne drivers cannot drive (or is that should not drive) it gets worse in the wet.

Too bloody right,

I have had to drive in Melbourne on the odd occasion, and its always raining and at night. Cripes its just too much for a boy from the west....... one thing we got plenty of over here is ...... nothing : and thats the way I for one like it :voldar02:

Peter
Aussie_Geo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 08:10 PM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

Hook turns are not that complicated, nor are they hard to do.
We do have the worst taxi drivers, I had the sub standard of taxi's in Vic!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 08:12 PM   #11
EL_futuraistic

seems a general consensus from lots of interstate visitors that melbourne roads are anarchy.

I havent had too much experience driving in other major cities however I think the no indicators, horn blaring, speeding, under-speeding are all just products of our "dont give a " society. The sheer arrogance of people these days, full of their own importance could be one of the major causes of our road problems.

I think the road structure itself isnt too bad (with exception of monash fwy/westgate fwy merge and the Calder merge on the tulla just to name a few)
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 08:21 PM   #12
Gimmers55
Black Jade Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Melbourne's layout does make sense - but yeah the majority of Melbourne drivers cannot drive (or is that should not drive) it gets worse in the wet. What I always see, people speed by 10 - 15km/h in a 60km/h zone and then when it becomes a 70km/h zone the same people drive at 8 - 12km/h under the limit.
You think Melbourne drivers speed. They're nothing compared with Drivers in the ACT. 80 kms means 100+. You have to break the speed limit to get onto the Monaro Hwy because everyone is doing 100 in the RH lane, which is the lane you have to merge into - go figure. Then if you try to match speed, some idiot tries to close the gap. Happens all the time.

Then there are those who drive while on the phone. I've never seen so many people using their mobiles as I have in the ACT. Ciggy in one hand, phone in the other, doing 100 in a 80 zone while sticking in the RH lane; no, the left lane, no I was right the first time.

Good grief, now you've got me started. What else:

- too much or too little indication at round abouts;
- indicating a RH turn at a roundabout and then exiting to the left from the wrong lane;
- cutting lanes in two lane roundabouts;
- overtaking when two lanes merge into one then slowing down below the speed limit;
- stopping at roundabouts to give way to a car 100 metres up the road just in case it might get closer than 50 metres;
- pull into the RH lane to overtake someone, then cut back in, break and then take the exit ramp;
- If I drive a truck, I won't give way at a roundabout; the car will get out of my way;
- etc.

Driving is a health hazard here. Be afraid; be very afraid.
Old 20-06-2006, 09:28 PM   #13
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

anyone that is no where near trams, that is new to driving... i think majority don't know what trams are... well my step bro's g/f has never been around city or anything.. first tram sign came up to she was like wtf is that sign :S

to be honest, i won't no how to prepare to drive in the city ... i guess i'll wait till the time comes.. cause on the P's drive test you don't do hooks turns and stuff...

in qld keeping to the left unless overtaking seem's good, didn't notice anyone not on the right lanes... unless they were overtaking... compare to melb you get everyone driving in any lane.. though i don't care, but i'm just saying in 'legality' qld, or in fact any other state drivers are better then majority of melbournians :P
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #14
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Driving in the city is a piece of cake, hook turns are easy, and any one who does drive in or through the city knows to stay clear of cabbies (as most can't read or speak the English language) and yes down here in Melbourne if you can't read the English rules they can give you the written and the driving test in what ever language that you can speak or read in.....even though you can't read the street signs!!!!!!!!
And !!!!!! tram drivers are the WORST for dinging the stupid bell if any one gets with in 50 mtrs of them, I also hate the fact that a lot of people don't know how to deal with trams and won't go past them or speed up to over take them.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #15
Bobman
Regulator

I still reckon Melbourne is an easy city to navigate, because of the criss cross road system, Sydney on the other hand is one way madness.

Some people deserve the horn, but I have not come across road rage much in my time driving.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 09:59 PM   #16
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Adelaide for its small poulation I think contains the most inconsiderate, incompetent and stupid drivers per capita than any state in the country.
How true!

Quote:
Can someone educate me as to what a "hook turn" is???
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 10:07 PM   #17
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
Can someone educate me as to what a "hook turn" is???
This is gonna sound stupid... but its a right turn from the left lane.

Basically, what you do is indicate right from the left lane. Then when the lights turn green, you move forward and to the left.. still pointing your car forward. You car will now be perpendicular to the cars going in the direction that you want to turn into and you wait for THAT green light.

I hope that sheds some light and wasnt too confusing.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 10:09 PM   #18
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

HOOK TURN:

Old 20-06-2006, 10:13 PM   #19
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
This is gonna sound stupid... but its a right turn from the left lane.

Basically, what you do is indicate right from the left lane. Then when the lights turn green, you move forward and to the left.. still pointing your car forward. You car will now be perpendicular to the cars going in the direction that you want to turn into and you wait for THAT green light.

I hope that sheds some light and wasnt too confusing.

WTF?? Is that a joke? Ha ha ha ha....Dear gawd.

So on a multi laned road, you turn RIGHT from the LEFT lane?
Again, WTF? Why?
Old 20-06-2006, 10:15 PM   #20
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:

Again, WTF? Why?
check my post above :P
Old 20-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #21
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
check my post above :P
Yeah, cheers, saw it after I posted.

But still, is there something I'm missing? Why? You've got me interested now :nutsycuck
Old 20-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #22
AMT
Come fly with P.S.I...

Hook turns what a stupid bloody idea..... :
Old 20-06-2006, 10:19 PM   #23
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

don't ask me why, it looks complicated for someone(me) who hasn't done it before hehe
Old 20-06-2006, 10:30 PM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

no idea WHY we have them, but they're not hard to understand. When approaching your right turn, you move into the intersection on the green, move slightly to the left, propped infront of the traffic waiting at the red. When your light goes red, and the direction you're turning into goes green, you move off for your 90deg turn, and take off, with the other traffic joining behind you. It's a weird thing to have happen yes, and when there's a mix of hook turns and right turn lanes in the city, the lack of consistency makes it difficult but you get over it once you know the city.

we drive through the city every day to go to work, it's not that bad.. Flinders street should always be avoided during peak, but the city itself flows reasonably well. I've worked in Sydney for a couple of years, in the city, and that was a little chaotic but not far different. Hobart city is a weird place to navigate, it has a LOT of multi lane one way roads (lot more than syd) but is pleasant enough. Adelaide freaked me out when i drove there purely due to the morons i encountered flying around through the cbd.. might have been a one off though. Canberra... um... won't even go there.. CRAZY PEOPLE. Brisbane is a lot more laid back, liked driving there. Haven't driven through Perth as yet..
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 10:39 PM   #25
Kenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhanst
Hook turns what a stupid bloody idea..... :
dont think you want to block the road in the city that all i could say i assume the reason for hook turn is because of blocking the grid in the small area.

Also if you drive around the main city area of Melbourne you dont need to worry the reason is cause two right make a left and two left could make right. Its whether you know your road and way to get around otherwise its easy than Sydney with smallest road that i have seen.

The sign show direction in the city when you are allow to do a hook turn it shouldnt be that hard to figure out
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 10:49 PM   #26
b2tf
not here much anymore

haha, having just returned from Melbourne and having to drive through the city in a new car, i agree with you. Wasnt as hard as I thought and I would do it again, but there are some mighty weird and mighty STUPID drivers down there!
Old 20-06-2006, 10:50 PM   #27
AMT
Come fly with P.S.I...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenter
dont think you want to block the road in the city that all i could say i assume the reason for hook turn is because of blocking the grid in the small area.

Also if you drive around the main city area of Melbourne you dont need to worry the reason is cause two right make a left and two left could make right. Its whether you know your road and way to get around otherwise its easy than Sydney with smallest road that i have seen.

The sign show direction in the city when you are allow to do a hook turn it shouldnt be that hard to figure out
lol........
Old 20-06-2006, 10:50 PM   #28
Bobman
Regulator

We have hook turns so cars don't get caught in the way of trams!

Simple really, due to congestion in the city during the day, a delayed tram causes a great deal of frustration.

Hook turns also give you a better chance of actually turning right where as otherwise you'd wait a few cycles to get to that road.

However hook turns ruin the chances of people wanting to turn left if there is 3 or more cars all attempting the hook turn.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 11:00 PM   #29
Kenster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhanst
lol........
lol believe me mate come down from Geelong and drive around the Grid in the city it does work
Kenster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 11:01 PM   #30
Gimmers55
Black Jade Pony

Quote:

Again, WTF? Why?
Mate, it's a system that allows trams to pass through intersections in the CBD without getting stuck behind cars turning right. It only applies in the CBD and allows trams to have a sort of right of way.

Personally, I think it is a very good system that allows public transport to move through the city unimpeded. If trams were being blocked at intersections, traffic congestion would cause chaos.

Melbourne drivers know how to apply these rules (with some exceptions) and it works well. I'd prefer to turn right from the left lane when in the city than be taken out by a 30 tonne tram.