Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-06-2006, 12:20 AM   #1
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default E-Toll - where to put it?

Hi everyone,

This probably sounds goofy, but I thought I'd ask it. Where does everyone put their E-Toll inside their car? (preferably looking for falcon owners, but all input is really welcome )

I was going to put it just up under my rear-view mirror, but I wasn't sure if it was to 'low' (i know the sensor will pick it up, just looks wise). But putting it above it looks to high...

Could anyone pass on where they've put it (and any pics if possible)? Sounds stupid and petty I know _ But once I put it up, it's stuck there :P

Thanks all

Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 12:28 AM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I hide mine just to the left of the rear view mirror out of site.
Make sure it's not blocking any sensors (I think some models have sensors behind the mirror)

Some of the Territory owners out there have actually hidden it in the dash top compartment and it still works.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 12:42 AM   #3
ToxikXR
you've been dubbed..

I had mine right underneath the rear view mirror, so when your sitting in the drivers seat you cannot see it. Had no problems with it. Recently got a new car so now it stays in the glove box, and that works also.
APR Turbo Back Exhaust, APR Torque Arm Insert, APR ECU, APR Fuel Pump, Oettinger Bodykit, Oettinger Intercooler, Oettinger RXX 19x8.5 Wheels, Dbilas Cold Air Induction, Neuspeed Front & Rear Swaybars, Forge Diverter Valve
Anthracite Leather, Sat Nav, Xenons, DSG, Sunroof, 20% Tint
ToxikXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 02:20 AM   #4
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

My e-Tag (Melbourne) sits in one of my draws at home and the number plates sit in the boot!!!
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:20 AM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

They work from the glove box! Sometimes ;)
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:34 AM   #6
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

Ok on that subject. Can i ask what does e-toll thing do?. Is it like you buy a year worth of motorway use or something at cheap rate and you get a card or something? Whats it cost?

Jeff
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:37 AM   #7
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Honestly not sure, mine gets provided by work. But basically it's just a way of pre-paying for Tolls and you don't have to worry about stopping because you top up your account, and when you go through, this little device beeps and it gets deducted from your account (how highly technical of me I know :P)... I'm pretty sure there's no cost any more, just like a $25 deposit and they send you the device with $25 credit on your account. But this is just from what I've heard, someone else can probably give more accurate info.

I did a quick search, and you can find some info here:

http://www.qldmotorways.com.au/www/index.aspx?ItemID=25

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/usingroads...tollworks.html
Old 19-06-2006, 08:38 AM   #8
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You NSW guys are ameteurs .. us Victorians have been putting up with this for years!! Usually they sit behind the rear vision mirror on the windscreen so you don't usually see it ..

BTW: A friend of mine bought/leased a new VX Berlina LS1 a few years ago and kept taking it back to the dealer complaining of a rattle in the cabin. Eventually they traced it back to the ETag being too close to the rear vision mirror and hitting it causing a noise ... and I believed they charged him for that bit of diagnosis
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:48 AM   #9
Ultimate
Pimp Daddy Pimp Pimp

Location: Queensland Events Assistant Co-Ordinator. Fiery's Little Helper

Hahaha that classic.

I with you on the e-tags now. Thanks Deadman

Oh Oz i from NSW but i live in qld.

Jeff
---------------------------------------------------
AFF Merchandise

Excellent Purchases With: AFF Team, Rooster, Russ
Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:54 AM   #10
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I put it behind the rear view mirror on the BA, though nowdays I dont put them up at all, prefer to keep it in the centre console and hold it up as I drive through.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 10:06 AM   #11
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate
...Is it like you buy a year worth of motorway use or something at cheap rate and you get a card or something? ...
Close but no cheap rate. It actually requires a deposit, which realistically you'll never see again, then it requires you maintain a minimum balance (auto deduction from account or Credit Card or similar whenever it falls below a preset level) so you'll always have more money tied up with an eToll than paying cash. It's just the option of paying cash is being phased out, with an eToll there is no queuing and stopping to pay just drive on through and with Sydney's traffic problems I consider it a must have, no stressing about whether you are in the ever diminishing toll booth lanes, just look for the big red E and away you go.

Mines behind the mirror in the Terri, not in my line of vision at all or from the passenger seat. It comes with permanent mounts (about the size of a 20c piece) from which the tag can be removed. The tag itself can be linked to a number of registered vehicles and you can get extra mounts. The same tags good in VIC, NSW and QLD.
Old 19-06-2006, 10:30 AM   #12
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just toss it on the dash before I go thru the toll booths
It is not attached to the cars as I have 1 toll tag for 3 cars and I also use it interstate with the hire cars as well
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 11:47 AM   #13
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

A truckie mate of mine sits his on his dash.
Old 19-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #14
BlackLS

I've double sided taped it in a little plastic component box (from Dick Smith) and double sided taped that to the area above the rear vision mirror. I hate the look of the white tag on the window and the black looks a lot better. Before that I tried mounting it on the back of the rear vision mirror but it looked crap from outside and the mirror kept falling down.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 12:37 PM   #15
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Up on the dot matrix part of the windscreen above and in front of the rear view mirror, so it can't be seen from outside.
Old 19-06-2006, 01:46 PM   #16
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Arhh, so torn... I've actually seen cars that don't look to bad with it visible from the outside (I remember seeing a black XR8 i think on these forums where it looked ok) - if it's up on that dot matrix part of the windscreen, it's really visible from the inside :/

Arh, might just leave it in the glovebox and keep putting it on the dash when I drive through... I guess I'm weird for making such a big deal over this huh? :P
Old 19-06-2006, 02:12 PM   #17
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Just be careful with where you put it.

I think the cost of a fine with toll evasion was what the toll is, plus admin charges (around $15). That's in QLD anyway.
Old 19-06-2006, 06:41 PM   #18
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Yes true that, $10 processing fee on the M5 in Sydney, if you muck up with the tag.
Old 19-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #19
macca_779
Turbine Power

a few years ago i forgot my tag traveling on the South eastern so i though i would try getting close behind a truck to see if the cameras could pick me. It wouldn't matter if they did as my rego is on reccord for my account so it just gets taken off as normal but with a small admin fee on top. But in the end nothing ended up on my bill for that trip. Did it again on the M7 a few months ago same result.
macca_779 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2006, 08:46 PM   #20
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Im over the look of the etoll on the windscreen so i just hold it up as i go through..beep beep done.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 12:41 PM   #21
desGT

1. I have more cars than tags
2. Tried to remove the holder from w/screen, which duly cracked (Porsche!).

So, I gave small strips of velcro in position behind mirror in each car, just press attach the unit in whichever car I am in if required (if not, no tag on display).
desGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 02:57 PM   #22
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by desGT
1. I have more cars than tags
2. Tried to remove the holder from w/screen, which duly cracked (Porsche!).

So, I gave small strips of velcro in position behind mirror in each car, just press attach the unit in whichever car I am in if required (if not, no tag on display).
That's not a bad idea!!
Old 20-06-2006, 03:12 PM   #23
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Lol.. paying to drive on roads, you crazy eastern staters!

But seriously... in my travels between tullamarine and melbourne CBD, it seems there isnt even a cash option for melbourne? i.e. the signs say you need an e-tag before you travel. Bit late when you come up to a toll but anyways... must suck going to melbourne if you dont know about the tolls!!! And how do you get an e-tag before youve reached the city?!?!?
Old 20-06-2006, 03:13 PM   #24
HLC
Audi S3

just leave it in your glove box. and as you drive through the toll things, hold it up.

its not that difficult at all.
Old 20-06-2006, 03:24 PM   #25
martO
meh

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his efforts in creating the monthly Photoshop competitions and advice/tips on how to use Photoshop. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
Just be careful with where you put it.

I think the cost of a fine with toll evasion was what the toll is, plus admin charges (around $15). That's in QLD anyway.
Last year me and my brother went through e-toll and he held it up to the windscreen, it didnt go off and we got flashed. All it took was a phone call and it was sorted, didnt have to pay a fine.
Old 20-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #26
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Lol.. paying to drive on roads, you crazy eastern staters!

But seriously... in my travels between tullamarine and melbourne CBD, it seems there isnt even a cash option for melbourne? i.e. the signs say you need an e-tag before you travel. Bit late when you come up to a toll but anyways... must suck going to melbourne if you dont know about the tolls!!! And how do you get an e-tag before youve reached the city?!?!?
You get up to 3 days after the toll to contact them and pay for it if you don't have an e-tag.
Old 20-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #27
MRJUCY
Fordless

I've got mine at the very top of my windscreen above the mirror so you can't see it at all from outside the car.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 06:00 PM   #28
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Close but no cheap rate. It actually requires a deposit, which realistically you'll never see again, then it requires you maintain a minimum balance (auto deduction from account or Credit Card or similar whenever it falls below a preset level) so you'll always have more money tied up with an eToll than paying cash. It's just the option of paying cash is being phased out, with an eToll there is no queuing and stopping to pay just drive on through and with Sydney's traffic problems I consider it a must have, no stressing about whether you are in the ever diminishing toll booth lanes, just look for the big red E and away you go.

Mines behind the mirror in the Terri, not in my line of vision at all or from the passenger seat. It comes with permanent mounts (about the size of a 20c piece) from which the tag can be removed. The tag itself can be linked to a number of registered vehicles and you can get extra mounts. The same tags good in VIC, NSW and QLD.

THey are free in QLD but you have to prepay $40 worth of tolls, but you get to use them all. The transponder is free.

What I want to know is, when does the battery run out? :
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #29
OldManGhia

Dont have an etag, dont need them in Coffs Harbour, well not yet anyway. Travelled to Sydney just before xmas and used the new M7. We were there for a week and came home via the M7. We timed it well, because it had just opened travel on the M7 was free.

However it is dam inconvenient if you aren't a regular user. We have to call them up and advise them our details and when we use a Motorway they send us a bill with a processing fee.
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2006, 11:10 PM   #30
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

Anywhere behind the mirror will do,at least it's out of sight,i personally have three e-Tag's and cost me around $300 a quarter.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post