Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2006, 09:01 AM   #1
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Default Coloured Parkers ?

Anyone know what the legality is for coloured parker lights..?
I can understand Red and Blue ones being illegal or defectable.

I've done a bit of a search through http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au and found nothing.

I've got green ones on my car and have never been questioned about it before.
I ask as the nice orficers gave me a $75 revenue invoice this morning.

This was the most promising link(page 5) i found regarding it, not even listed as an offence.
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregul...ts_general.pdf

AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 07:39 PM   #2
Zephyr
Old rookie

They're illegal in Vic :(
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
notty1978
NOTTY

I had green ones on the back to reverse
and green parker bulbs on the front
i got fined $200 for the front and the back i went to court and won the judge asked me to put clear ones in so i did
i told him this is the way i brought the car and it passed rego and have been driving for around 12 months and get pulled over at lease 2 times a week and no one told me to take them off
notty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 08:55 PM   #4
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

i asked a cop about neons on a car he told me the front couldn't be red or blue and the rears couldn't be white, as far as he was concerned there was no other real rules about it. It was all dependant on the officers perception
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 09:01 PM   #5
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Yeah neons should technically be legal if they are white on the back and use the same colours has trucks do, otherwise every truck on the road would be defected with the amount of lights they have around the side of their trailers...
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 09:22 PM   #6
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here in Qld you can have any colour you like in your parkers...
Yes even red (which I had till they kind of changed to clear)...

I have no idea about other states but the general rule to go by is that they are not to be classed as a usable light (headlight, reverse lights, number plate light, blinkers).
They are not allowed to be bright and dazzling (in other words not as bright as a headlight would be).
They are not allowed to be along the lines of a neon (bright and colour changing - I doubt such a bulb exist for a parker mind you)..

Hope that helps, but as I first stated I am quoting what I have found out here in Qld..
Ask transport, police etc and get all opinions necessary and if you are still unsure contact your local member and ask them to investigate the issue for you.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 09:50 PM   #7
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwigybo
i asked a cop about neons on a car he told me the front couldn't be red or blue and the rears couldn't be white, as far as he was concerned there was no other real rules about it. It was all dependant on the officers perception
Shows how little that officer knows.
[quote-MYGT05]Yeah neons should technically be legal if they are white on the back and use the same colours has trucks do, otherwise every truck on the road would be defected with the amount of lights they have around the side of their trailers...[/quote]
They are legally allowed too.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 10:29 PM   #8
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

AC, take it to court. Explain that you even searched for rules relating to the parkers and nothing came up on the relevant government websites. If you can convince them that there's no way you were expected to know it's wrong, then there's a chance they'll take the fine away at least..

I had absolutely no idea that wasn't legal either.. I knew things like colourchanging/flashing neons, different coloured headlights and numberplate lights, etc weren't legal because they actually serve a function in their original colour, but parking lights aren't exactly a piece of safety equipment!
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2006, 11:03 PM   #9
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH47
AC, take it to court. Explain that you even searched for rules relating to the parkers and nothing came up on the relevant government websites. If you can convince them that there's no way you were expected to know it's wrong, then there's a chance they'll take the fine away at least..

I had absolutely no idea that wasn't legal either.. I knew things like colourchanging/flashing neons, different coloured headlights and numberplate lights, etc weren't legal because they actually serve a function in their original colour, but parking lights aren't exactly a piece of safety equipment!
Your honor, I didn't know that driving whilst my tyres are down to the steel belts was illegal, I could find anything on gov site stating it is.

Do you think it will work?

Parker lights ARE safety equipment, if you know what their primary use is!!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post