Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #1
TIRED6
A V8 salute to my DEATH

Exclamation how to deal with electrolosys?

Hey,

I just pulled the carb of my 78' F100 to check it out due to poor running. I found that the entire fuel bowl was covered with a coat of sh1t about 3mm thick : . I have cleaned it in diesel, fuel, thinners, degreaser and flat coke. All i have left now is the fiddly stuff that is fairly grown on it. Is there anyway to remove this as it still affects my truck?

Cheers, :

Old 14-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so what actually is this coating i`know electrolysis is common in diesels i have one in the driveway, the electrolysis ate thru one of the liners, i have heard of trucks having this problem in other forms cracks in chassis, body work etc, which can be fixed i believe with an electronic device, as far the the engines go usually diesels run an additive in their coolant which is supposed to be a preventative (alfaloc or alfloc cant remember correct spelling ), i think electrolysis is static electricity basicly, i pulled the liner out of my detroit deisel and it looked like wood borers had been eating the liners of the engine, just wondering what sort of fuel are you running???
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
TIRED6
A V8 salute to my DEATH

i run on premium, or a ulp/avgas mixture. But this coating is from when the truck sat before i purchased it. It sat for 3 yrs with no fuel in the carby.
Old 14-05-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Ha, I took the title an entirely different way...
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 08:53 PM   #5
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get the wire brush out get the tooth brush out...and some CLR or maybe sodybic and scrub the crap out of it.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 09:24 PM   #6
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I take it the Carb is made of aluminium. If so, go to the local car shop and buy some Alloy wheel cleaner.. It works a treat. Mothers is the best. Don't by the cheapie one, they are practicaly all water and don't work anywhere near as well. Mothers Cost $19..

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2006, 09:24 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Get the wire brush out get the tooth brush out...and some CLR or maybe sodybic and scrub the crap out of it.
sounds like a plan, try carb cleaner as well better than thinners i think.
Old 14-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #8
TIRED6
A V8 salute to my DEATH

no, it's a bog stock 302 2-barrel carby
TIRED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 04:11 PM   #9
oyob2003

Buy a small container of "sulphuric acid" apply with a cotton bud, leave it on for thirty seconds, rinse if it has done the job good, if not repeat the process until all the gunk has gone dont wipe it on you want the area wet, you will know if it working if the area foams and bubbles, keep what you have left to clean up any rust you may want to remove on other items.
oyob2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2006, 11:11 PM   #10
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyob2003
Buy a small container of "sulphuric acid" apply with a cotton bud, leave it on for thirty seconds, rinse if it has done the job good, if not repeat the process until all the gunk has gone dont wipe it on you want the area wet, you will know if it working if the area foams and bubbles, keep what you have left to clean up any rust you may want to remove on other items.
wear gloves and goggles nasty stuff
Old 16-05-2006, 05:50 PM   #11
FordFan86
meow

Electrolysis from what I know involves the passing of a current through an ionic solution... Don't think you'd get that occuring in a fuel bowl...
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #12
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan86
Electrolysis from what I know involves the passing of a current through an ionic solution... Don't think you'd get that occuring in a fuel bowl...
Dissimilar metals cause it,We install a sacrificial annode on water mains to stop it, try using copper valleys over aluminium gutters, they wont last long,if you use a small synthetic spacer between carb and manifold it will stop.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2006, 11:57 PM   #13
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Dissimilar metals cause it,We install a sacrificial annode on water mains to stop it, try using copper valleys over aluminium gutters, they wont last long,if you use a small synthetic spacer between carb and manifold it will stop.
Ah, Year 10 Chemistry. Turns out it may have been useful after all.

Oops.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post