Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-03-2005, 06:41 PM   #1
carazy
Back with Boost!

Default Do you test drive, or test THRASH!

Hey all,
I'm in the progress of selling my car. One the major plusses of my car over the stock falcon is that it goes like a cut snake (for an EB falcon, I'm sure an Xr8 would put it in it's place)
I've had a few people test drive it (4th today, 2 dreamers, 1 still trying to sell his current car and another hopeful young man) In each and every case I've had to tell them to give the car a bit of grief.. Now obviously I don't mean race it.. but at least take it up to the red line in 1st and second just to see how it goes and check for any issues..

Why do people do it? Would you by a car after puttering it up and down the road? I sure wouldn't!
I always give any test driving cars a fair bit of gas to make sure everything is working correctly and the car's been looked after (I tell the owner I'm going to before doing it though)

What is your test drive proceedure?
carazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 06:44 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I take it to the cut out to make sure it all works.
When I got the XR6 the guy from New Oak Ford was white when we got back. Of course, since the car made it back I handed over a bank cheque on the spot so his colour returned pretty quick after that.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 06:45 PM   #3
460cixy
burn out king

mmm im not one to realy punish some one elses car even if im asked to . im sure if somthing broke while there test driveing it you wouldent be amused.
460cixy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 07:00 PM   #4
zetec
Zoom Zoom

That's why they have Warranty!
Old 05-03-2005, 08:20 PM   #5
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Not for a private sale zetec.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 08:37 PM   #6
EA2BA
PM me if you want

If 2nd hand, I push the car, but not try break it, they are old after all, but if the owner was telling me to test the limits, then hell yeah I would.

New, would give it heaps, they arent supposed to break.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)

Last edited by EA2BA; 05-03-2005 at 08:38 PM.
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 08:43 PM   #7
Philbie
Drvtme

today I test drove an Audi A8 - it coped a good hard drive, and was tested to it's limits.

Needless to say I also drove a Audi A6 4.2L V8 - it also copped a caining!!!

dam good cars both of them and they got a sale out of it too.

What on earth is going on!........i’m Back in the ford camp.....#2019
Philbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 08:43 PM   #8
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Not for a private sale zetec.
Agree there when selling the 82 corvette I was the one who gave it heaps as you don't know the person as well as they are not familiar with the car.

But a dealer well in 2002 I tested a BA XR8 manual & gave it a sticking to the redline in first and second. Was keen for the deal but as the trade offered was a insult for my AU ghia with just over 30,000Kms. I did'nt proceed with the deal.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 08:51 PM   #9
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

I will open the car up and generally drive the way i drive mine to see if the car will make me happy and if mechanically all is well. I wouldn't say i would thrash the day lighs out of it though, i don't have the heart to do it.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:55 PM   #10
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY
I will open the car up and generally drive the way i drive mine to see if the car will make me happy and if mechanically all is well. I wouldn't say i would thrash the day lighs out of it though, i don't have the heart to do it.
/me has heard storys about you and Wulos going for Test Drives........

e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 10:48 PM   #11
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

I made the error of handing wulos the keys to my au xr6 as I wanted an opinion on how it was going at one stage.

After the drive I sure had a better idea of how it was going and my front wheels went from nice clean silver to brake dust covered black.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 11:06 PM   #12
devil cv8

to give an example of how hard I test drive cars..... I test drove one of the first BA Xr8 autos at my local dealer, and on a uphill, left hand sweeping bend at 140km/h I had the traction control kick in..... I pity the bloke who purchased that car....
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2005, 03:16 AM   #13
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

new car: go to all limits! if im lashing out to buy the thing off the dealer, im wanting to know if its exactly what im after - and also, if it breaks on a test drive thats not a good sign!

second hand: in this situation i tend to be a bit softer on the thing, I know i wouldnt like it if someone came and thrashed mine...so id drive it hard, but nothing unreasonable
Old 06-03-2005, 06:51 AM   #14
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by carazy
Hey all,
I'm in the progress of selling my car. One the major plusses of my car over the stock falcon is that it goes like a cut snake (for an EB falcon, I'm sure an Xr8 would put it in it's place)
I've had a few people test drive it (4th today, 2 dreamers, 1 still trying to sell his current car and another hopeful young man) In each and every case I've had to tell them to give the car a bit of grief.. Now obviously I don't mean race it.. but at least take it up to the red line in 1st and second just to see how it goes and check for any issues..

Why do people do it? Would you by a car after puttering it up and down the road? I sure wouldn't!
I always give any test driving cars a fair bit of gas to make sure everything is working correctly and the car's been looked after (I tell the owner I'm going to before doing it though)

What is your test drive proceedure?
The car I got on Friday I just took for a reasonably casual jaunt around the block. Stuck half a boot in on one corner and that was about it. I drove it like I would spend 99% of the time driving to see if I was happy with the way it handled in that respect.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2005, 09:17 AM   #15
carazy
Back with Boost!

fair enough, Good responces so far.
As far as breaking the car on a test drive.. yes I would not be happy but you could hardly blame the person driving it if they are only giving it kick up through the rev range.
carazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2005, 10:12 AM   #16
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Treat them as though you stole it.

Rick.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:45 PM   #17
WASP
Whipple Induced

Even a clapped car may hold together when pushed hard. Better concentrating your efforts on looking for tell tale signs of wear i.e. water in oil, smoke, knocking/ticking sounds from the engine, shudder, burning smells etc etc. If it's a performance car then it's would be definitely relevant to give it 'some' curry when driving, while showing a good dose of respect to the owner and the car itself. Remember you may end up buying this car!! I find when testing most respectable performance cars the owner is more than happy (and proud) to initially take one for a ride and push it hard themselves. Logically speaking why wouldn't they as it's one of the crucial conditions in determining if that car will meet your expectations. If they don't do this, then that's normally the first indication that something is wrong IMO.

Last edited by WASP; 06-03-2005 at 01:49 PM.
WASP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post