Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 13-04-2006, 04:38 AM   #1
EL8TED
It all counts

Default EL XR8 replace rotors

just a quick question, could sum1 give me a quick explanation or point me in the right direction of how i'd go about replacing my front rotors and pads on my EL 2 XR8 ? getting the parts in next week, and wanted to see if I could save myself $100 odd bucks, iv'e just never done rotors and pads b4,

Old 13-04-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

If your going to do it yourself, have someone who knows what there doing arround to help, you dont want to expirement with brakes!

I have a basic idea on how to do it but when i come into turn 1 on the track I know the brakes will be there and not falling off overtaking me.
Old 13-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #3
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey mate, its quite a simple job. The first time you do it it will take alot longer, but the when you go to do it again it will take half the time as you will know what tools you need and exactly the right parts to remove!

1.Remove the two bolts that hold the caliper assembly on. These will be the two outer bolts. From memory, this should remove whole caliper assembly. If not, remove the two inner bolts that hold the caliper to its bracket aswell.

2. Place the caliper to the side, dont let it hang by the brake hose. (No need to remove the brake hose at all, if you do, you will have to bleed your brakes)

3. Remove the front bearing grease cap. Just use a pair of plyers to grab the nose of it, and wiggle it off. If you dont want to scratch it, put a cloth over it. If it has trouble budging, slide a flat bladed screw driver in to help leaver it out.

4. You will now see the castle nut, and split pin. Straighten the split pin out, and pull it out with your plyers. (Take note of how much the castle nut is done up, you can replicate this when putting it back together) Undo the castle nut, and there is probably a washer in there too (from memory). Sit these aside, as you will need them later.

5. You should be able to move the rotor around now, and slide it off the spindle. Remove the bearing assembly, if you cant get to it, just slide the rotor forward slowly and it should all come off in your hand.

6. Instal the new rotor on the spindle, install the bearing, plus washer, castle nut, and split pin. You wont want to do the castle nut up very tight, if you took note of how hard it was done up when you removed it, you can try and copy that. I usually do it up half tight, then losen it half, to one rotation, making sure i can slide the split pin back in. Make sure you fold the split pin over just like it was when you took it out. If you arent replacing the bearing with a new one, grease it up a bit with some new grease (not everyone does this)

7. I use a piston caliper tool that you can buy from Supercheap (under $20) i think (Push down type, not wind/screw). You can also use a suitable G Clamp, with a socket sittin on the piston). All you need to do is push the piston back down as far as you can get it, to allow room for your new thick pads. )Some people recommend taking a small amount of brake fluid out of the master cylinder, so that it dosnt overflow when you push the piston the caliper down)

8. If you had to remove the caliper bracket, now install it. Slide the pads into the caliper. One pad will have 2/3 prongs on the back, design to go into the piston side of the caliper. I usually slide the other pad into the caliper bracket.

9. If you have pushed the caliper piston back far enough, you should now be able to slide the caliper into place over the rotor. It may require a few taps to slide down.
Usually there are 2 different sized bolts to bolt the caliper back on the caliper frame. One is larger then the other. They will only fit one way.

- If you are picky, or want to follow the book, You can do the caliper bolts up to the correct torque settings which is 30Nm.
- Replace any brake fluid that you may have taken out of the master cylinder
- Pump your brake peddle a few times to pistion the calipers in the pistons. (Dont jump in your car and go down a steep driveway without first pumping your brakes, as you wont have any lol)
- I also recommend replacing the rear pads when doing the front. But thats a personal choice and is not exactly neccessary.

This is only from memory, and im sure i could help you more if I was looking at a car right now lol. : Dont forget, after you do this the first time, you will be a pro next time round. Its a very easy job, just take your time and do it properly. The money you save on this, can go towards your next mod! If i have missed anything, just ask

Steve