Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 31-03-2006, 08:03 PM   #1
oyob2003

Default Please Look

Hear is a saying I like "THE ONES WHO KNOW DO'' ''THE ONES WHO DONT ARE ALWAYS TALKING'' I have noticed on the threads there are a few threads that have not been answered, and also if someone posts a simple thread that person gets a lot of lols WHY, I have also noticed these people are new members that have most likely have just got off their push bikes and do not know anything about cars, I have taken notice of their thread names and do not see a lot return, no one likes to be laughted at especially when you join a site like FORD FORUMS, you join with the hope you can be helped, the people who started FORD FORUMS I am 100% sure started this site to help people who NEED help or advice, but I think the site is getting away from what the people who started the site, set it up for, remember we all were not born an expert everyone has to learn, I am asking "THE ONES WHO KNOW DO" help " THE ONES WHO DONT'' keep on posting.

Old 31-03-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I think that is a fair call.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
Old 31-03-2006, 08:20 PM   #3
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyob2003
"THE ONES WHO KNOW DO'' ''THE ONES WHO DONT ARE ALWAYS TALKING''
And the ones who dont get their questions answered, whine.

A) Not everyone here CAN answer EVERY question.
B) Those who do know, DO NOT read every single thread written, therefore some questions go unanswered.
C) As well as an active community, this place is also an information repository. Many simple questions can be answered with a simple search before the user posts a thread that is met with "LOL" or "Do a search" replies.

savvy?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 31-03-2006, 08:25 PM   #4
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good on you for having the balls to speak out.

Just remember in life, that the people who criticise and abuse the most, are often the ones who are the most insecure. Unless it's constuctive criticism, take no notice of it.
Old 31-03-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
xxxc
tuff

also people that talk ИИИИ in the for sale threads is another big p1ss off!
Old 31-03-2006, 08:37 PM   #6
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

I am glad this point has been raised and totally agree with Sourbastard

It seems the pack mentality has risen also, recently demonstrated by a few.

If this thread makes a person think before they respond, and more importantly use the search function, it serves its purpose well
Old 31-03-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMPT
also people that talk ИИИИ in the for sale threads is another big p1ss off!

Another one of my biggest gripes.....
Old 31-03-2006, 08:39 PM   #8
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I see your point mate and agree 100%!
I first found this site about 2 months ago and only by chance.
I guess when you are unfamiliar with how things are discected its hard to know where to post what and what has already been said.
I can appreciate the people who kindly reply with (look here) or something similar, but it peeves me off when someone with hundreds of posts comes back with a sarcastic comment.
surely thay started with 0 posts too.
I get the feeling that we get treated as though we are new to the whole car thing which makes me laugh to myself as at 29 years of age i have had about 66 cars give or take a few and have spent the best part of my life working around them.
unfortunately that doesn't mean i know the exact degree of duration on a specific cam but im sure i have something to offer someone.
best advice i can offer is to let it go over your head. some people have nothing better to do
Old 31-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
Woz
As in 'best there ever'

I remember when I first joined FF.com and needed some help getting my Fairmont out of "No reg, no roadie" status.

There was actually quite a good response to my queries, I thought. Especially from one man by the name of Big John. He answered a few questions I had and even invited me around to his place and offered me some bits and pieces he no longer needed.

The good ones are out there, oyob2003. Don't be put off asking questions just because a few knobends like to rock the boat.

Keep in mind what sourbastard said. He pretty much summed it right up. A few people have made the comment that I don't really contribute anything to the forums, and I know that, but I float around and pick up info from other threads that have already had questions asked and answered. I don't really know enough to be throwing information of my own around, so I just sit back and scribble down things I learn.

As you said, those that laugh at someones question, more often that not, won't know ИИИИ. But at the same time, before asking, make sure you search to see if what you're after has already been discussed.

My XB Fairmont Sedan Project
Old 31-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #10
LUXO_8
windsor user

if i see a thread about a topic i know has already been posted, i will either try dig up the thread for them or answer it if i know an answer...
its annoying to see people with a fair whack of posts say, this has been posted before, but not try and offer the new guy any help actually finding where it has been posted.....

it must be a bit disconcerning for the new guys not to be offered any help around the place.....
Old 31-03-2006, 08:46 PM   #11
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

There are almost as many reasons for NOT answering a question as there are for actually asking it in the first place.
One of the major reasons is the exact - counter constructive comments(lol's, any WHY??? questions) being asked of the very members that endeavour to answer the question in their own way. A lot of the time there is more then one solution to the problem, but it deteriorates into a mudslinging match as to which way is best.
In an ideal world, everyone would jump forward, and offer up as many "workable" solutions, and allow the person that asked in the first place to choose their next course of action from that. Whetehr this is indeed their best course of action is another area of concern.
There is quite a number of knowledgable members here on AFF. Without doubt there are very few (if any) problems that could not be solved if the right person is asked.
The real trick is in learning to sit back, read a lot, & learn which members "walk the walk" & which members merely "talk the talk" The number of posts a member has is by no means a fair indicator of their knowledge niether. You can look at other posts made by a user.
Old 31-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #12
oyob2003

But the questions I am talking about are very simply, I am not saying admin has to answer them far from it you have your work, I am talking about other members who have lots of experiance but give out lols.
Old 31-03-2006, 08:58 PM   #13
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
But the questions I am talking about are very simply, I am not saying admin has to answer them far from it you have your work, I am talking about other members who have lots of experiance but give out lols.
I forgot 1

D) we cant force people to answer questions, if they choose not to answer, or simply laugh, thats their perogative also.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Old 31-03-2006, 09:18 PM   #14
oyob2003

yes I agree with you mad_nc8, and the new members do not know how to navigate the site first up, they just see FORD FORUMS and ask a question, I posted a question a couple of weeks ago on head gaskets, I asked not in these words, the radiator light on my dash lit up and I filled the holding tank up that was in December I think, and I asked does anyone think it may be a head gasket, the water level dropped again in the middle of March and I had to top it up again, off hand I think I got one reply.
Old 31-03-2006, 09:25 PM   #15
oyob2003

I agree sour if they do not want to answer that is their option, but lols NO
Old 01-04-2006, 03:31 PM   #16
Falchoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
if i see a thread about a topic i know has already been posted, i will either try dig up the thread for them or answer it if i know an answer...
its annoying to see people with a fair whack of posts say, this has been posted before, but not try and offer the new guy any help actually finding where it has been posted.....

it must be a bit disconcerning for the new guys not to be offered any help around the place.....
I try to do this too (find the relevant post and paste a link).

Unfortuantely the kind of behaviour that oyob2003 talks about is prevalent on 99% of internet forums, though I think this one has less of it than most others.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:42 PM   #17
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hear is a saying I like "THE ONES WHO KNOW DO'' ''THE ONES WHO DONT ARE ALWAYS TALKING'' I have noticed on the threads there are a few threads that have not been answered, and also if someone posts a simple thread that person gets a lot of lols WHY, I have also noticed these people are new members that have most likely have just got off their push bikes and do not know anything about cars, I have taken notice of their thread names and do not see a lot return, no one likes to be laughted at especially when you join a site like FORD FORUMS, you join with the hope you can be helped, the people who started FORD FORUMS I am 100% sure started this site to help people who NEED help or advice, but I think the site is getting away from what the people who started the site, set it up for, remember we all were not born an expert everyone has to learn, I am asking "THE ONES WHO KNOW DO" help " THE ONES WHO DONT'' keep on posting.

That's the longest sentence I have ever read.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:57 PM   #18
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

lol .
Old 01-04-2006, 06:00 PM   #19
aimzes
...fairly odd

Lol!!111!1!
Old 02-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #20
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Well, here is my 2 cents.

If you were a musician busking on the streets, would you be complaining that you only made $5 today when you expected $500? Are you going to whinge to the people on the street?

But if you hang in.....you just may get what your looking for. Lets not forget that forums have more a social aspect than an educational one (he says as he runs and hides from sourbastard). Its all about people "chatting" on the net. The same reason you find some people funny and some not, you get a mix of members.

But most importantly dont be fooled by members names and avatars. Some have names and pictures that make them seem mean and nasty, but that only hides the truth that they are old female former school teachers who are still looking for a classroom. Am i right Sour?
Old 02-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #21
Gilesie
You gotta pay to play

Yesterday I joined a Merc forum as I am thinking about buying an old Benz
I just asked about common rust points and common problems
They did tell me the rust points but said that I should hire a mechanic to check it out :
I guess that meant that he had no idea, at least he left me knowing that he was nothing but a

2003 Mazda Bravo (work truck)

1979 F100 Ambo
Old 02-04-2006, 04:43 PM   #22
oyob2003

Thank you for helping me prove my point Aussiefalcon!
Old 02-04-2006, 04:52 PM   #23
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes and some people ask questions that are so long winded that you actually either don't particularly know what the question is or simply can not decipher it enough to give a logical or helpful answer.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:12 PM   #24
oyob2003

yes I agree thunder but i thought the social side was THE BAR and the motoring site was the THE PUB, but I dont think asking a straight forward question is whinging.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:20 PM   #25
oyob2003

Aimzes.........are you saying you dont play by FF rules but your own!
Old 02-04-2006, 05:21 PM   #26
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think this thread has gone far enough and has nothign left offer...say goodnight
Closed Thread