Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-03-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default AU Shopping

Hi Folks

I went and test drove an AU Fairmont today and was wondering a few things - could someone please point me in the right direction?

I popped the hood - and it didn't have a timing belt cover. Should there be one? This guy reckons he always gets it serviced by Ford so strange that they would forget to put it back on...

Also under the hood the spark leads don't all route the same way - the front 3 route over the inlet manifold while the back 3 route the way it does on the EL's - under the manifold from the back... looks ugly, but is this the norm?

It has dust covers underneath the alloy wheels - does this effect the heat of the breaks at all?

Finally it has a very noticable wobble in the rear under low acceleration or braking. I noticed a couple of shudders at the front through the steering wheel also... Brake pads / rotors or possibly something more sinister?

I've told him I'll get back to him because if I need to spend a bit of money on it I'll take it into consideration when it comes to negotiating a price.

All in all though I"m impressed it's my first time driving an AU and it drives very nicely. I'm intent on buying one now. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
Jimmeh

I get that shudder sometimes as well, I know its a common problem with the AU's, I think it maybe the rotors. Somebody want to clarify?
Jimmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

There is no timing belt on a 4.0 engine. The belt you are talking about is the accessory belt, and there is no cover for them on some models. AFAIK, only XR6 VCTs, and Fairmont Ghias got them standard.

Spark plug leads route either side of the Throttle Body - so sounds like the setup on the car you looked at is normal.

Dust covers do not hinder brake performance, nor do they really stop dust on the wheels.

Shudders could be as simple as wheels needing a balance.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Shudders could be as simple as wheels needing a balance.
Might aslo be warped discs, and or some loose parts in the front steering/suspension.

Nothing major.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
SIKSIX
Its gone V

me and my brother have au's in man and auto and dont get that shudder but we both have au forte's, and all that other stuff is the norm. but about that belt cover thingie im even confused, my brothers 98 has it but my 99 hasnt.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 08:28 PM   #6
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
There is no timing belt on a 4.0 engine. The belt you are talking about is the accessory belt, and there is no cover for them on some models. AFAIK, only XR6 VCTs, and Fairmont Ghias got them standard.
Yes you are right I realised after I had posted I did not mean timing. If I do get this car I'll have to pick one up as they make the engine bay look much neater.
Old 19-03-2006, 09:05 PM   #7
My AU

What is the mileage?
My AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
Yes you are right I realised after I had posted I did not mean timing. If I do get this car I'll have to pick one up as they make the engine bay look much neater.
The EF/EL ones fit.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2006, 10:37 PM   #9
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
The EF/EL ones fit.
Yeah I spotted it was the same size as the one on my EL

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Au
What is the mileage?
A hair under 130k
Old 19-03-2006, 11:42 PM   #10
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

the leads are different to reach the coil pack not the single coil / distributor on the EL

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Whatever AU you get it will be a great improvement over the E series. I personally like them, my neighbour has one, but the AU is streets ahead better.

All the best with your purchase.

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 12:20 AM   #12
My AU

Sounds nice. I would be comfortable at 130k.. Got hooked on the first AU I saw it is such a great ride. No wonder so many people have them..
Old 20-03-2006, 03:14 AM   #13
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Whatever AU you get it will be a great improvement over the E series. I personally like them, my neighbour has one, but the AU is streets ahead better.

All the best with your purchase.

GK
I love my EL will be very sad to see it go but since the opportunity to upgrade has appeared I figure why not
Old 20-03-2006, 12:46 PM   #14
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
Might aslo be warped discs, and or some loose parts in the front steering/suspension.

Nothing major.
I'd say the former. : When I bought my AU the brakes shuddered due to warped discs so I had them machined. They warped again a month later (!!) driving down the snow (great drive, but discs cooled too quickly once I stopped hence the warpage). High quality pads will prevent this problem.

Good luck with the AU, superb vehicle.
Old 21-03-2006, 01:17 AM   #15
My AU

I'd like to buy mine all over again. I ve never been so happy with any car I've ever had. I've had Commodores, Celicas, Skylines, Camrys, Vectras, and a Magna (which was excellent). But if anything happened to my AU I kid you not I'd go straight out and get another one.
Old 21-03-2006, 02:09 AM   #16
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well if someone would hurry up and buy the EL I'd go out and get one on Wednesday... fingers crossed for a bidding war on ebay!

I've got my eyes firmly planted on an AU Fairmont hopefully with some loose change afterwoods to do some mods. I'm thinking some minor intake stuff, extractors, catback, suspension, breaks and budget permitting wheels. And then I'll be broke and I'll have to be happy with what I've got!
Old 21-03-2006, 03:09 PM   #17
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I have never had any shudder in the front end of my AUII XR, the rotors did feel a bit warped and brakes squeeled for a while until i had a car 'full' of fat dudes and had to pull up at the lights hard to stop after tramping it, the car only just pulled up in time too , i was hard on the brakes , as hard as i could push them to the floor ! - for a good 10 seconds at least !. Since that episode though my brakes have felt smooth ( no pulsing from the brake pedal anymore ) and the brakes don't squeel anymore ...lol, i was about to go get them machined but i dont think ill bother now ..lol, looks like a car load of fat dudes worked my brakes hard and heated the discs back up and warped them back straight a bit ..lol , i dunno , but its definatelly better since then !. Aslo i took those disc covers off from behind the wheels and that stopped them squeeling on hot days too , and too that note i also don't get any extra brake dust on my wheels compared to before , imo i think they are more of a disc protector than a brake dust stopper . No more squeeling brakes here anymore .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 07:40 PM   #18
My AU

Twisted EL

Good luck selling the old girl. Look forward tpo that nice Fairmont :
Old 21-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #19
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's funny, so do I!
Old 21-03-2006, 10:22 PM   #20
My AU

Thumbs up

Twist
400 hits, plenty of interest.
Can almost smell that new Fairmont :
Old 21-03-2006, 10:51 PM   #21
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes and 16 watchers. Hoping interest will increase now it's heading towards the top of the searches. Mind you nobody has asked to come take a look-see yet.
Old 21-03-2006, 11:06 PM   #22
My AU

It makes you wonder, they don't know the reserve, they're bidding on something they have not seen. Reminds me of how I buy cars (LOL just kidding).
Looks like a nice straight unit. Good luck, keep us posted!
Old 21-03-2006, 11:23 PM   #23
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go for it twisted. I drive E series at work sometimes and the AU is miles ahead in driveability. You won't regret the upgrade. ;)
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 11:26 PM   #24
My AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
Yes and 16 watchers. Hoping interest will increase now it's heading towards the top of the searches. Mind you nobody has asked to come take a look-see yet.
If she doesn't sell, could you get a trade for her?
Old 21-03-2006, 11:33 PM   #25
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have asked the question, dealers say that their AU's are already so heavily discounted (i.e. AU III 'Mont for $12,800) they'll only give me $3000

No way am I parting with it for that I'm only asking $5-6k and my friends are saying I should ask more.

Why can't my used car be extra valuable while the used car I want to buy be cheap - and in perfect condition?

I dunno. Anyway I've dropped the reserve on ebay so all the bidders will get an email.
Old 22-03-2006, 12:32 AM   #26
My AU

Twisted

I've popped on as a watcher hope you don't mind. I can't help noticing the newbie bidders, I hope they're not messing you about. They all have to start somewhere I guess. Hang in there fella
Old 22-03-2006, 12:37 AM   #27
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are worried or need a decent figure from the sale of your EL, i wouldnt even consider trade-ins.

With the shudder: It could be a list of things, but my mother in-law's AU does it and has warped discs. Its a very noticeable shudder/jolt whilst breaking.

Good luck on getting your AU
Old 22-03-2006, 01:41 PM   #28
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by My AU
Twisted

I've popped on as a watcher hope you don't mind. I can't help noticing the newbie bidders, I hope they're not messing you about. They all have to start somewhere I guess. Hang in there fella
Nah go for it. < 12hrs to go and it still is about 1/2 of reserve I don't think it's going to sell. Oh well I can't say I was expecting it to sell on ebay but for $15 it's worth the exposure.

These things take time.
Old 22-03-2006, 03:07 PM   #29
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Imo , for what you'll probably get for it , your probably better of keeping it and save that bit extra for the AU if you really want it , could allways keep ya old car as a weekend car or whatever/use it for drags at calder park etc etc, even garage it and you never know you might just get a nice offer from someone 1 day. Gl with it anyway ;) .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #30
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah budget means that I sell this car + I've already sold another car + take out a small loan = AU Fairmont.

I need to sell this car to go the next step. So I play the waiting game.

What was this thread about again?