Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-03-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
phildee

Default Lowering & Comfort?

Looking to lower my car to Kings Lows or XR6 springs eventually, how much harsher is the ride going to be compared to standard AU2 Fairmont suspension? Also want to do the shocks at the same time as they are getting a little old now.

I dont mind if its a little more rough but I do a fair bit of driving so would prefer it to still be comfortable.

Don't really want to spend a fortune on Koni shocks or similar. I can get Monroe GT Gas or Sensatracs fairly cheap, or anything from Gabriel. Or perhaps the stock XR shocks, or are there any other recommendations around the same sort of price which will keep the ride relatively smooth still?

Cheers, Phil

phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 02:51 PM   #2
stiddy
Banned

Monroe GT's and king low springs, you cant go wrong.. will be more than likely be more comfortable than stock. Especially if your shocks and springs are getting old and tired.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
Autocade

Phildee
In my experience over several cars (and I believe the laws of physics also) lower means a firmer harsher ride which is the compromise for more responsive precise handling due to less vertical and horizontal movement that would normally absorb the bumps
If you want comfort I would suggest leave it stock but I personally reckon its well worth sacrificing a bit of comfort for a sportier set up
Also suggest you to consider if you do lower try to do an entire package of springs and shocks at once and I suggest fitting a camber castor kit if you do not already have one and get a FE alignment immediatedly because lowering tends to run more negative camber which causes uneven tyre wear
Hope this helps
Autocade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
Pistonbroke

Phildee, I've got an AUII XR6 with the 17" rims. Mate, on a bumpy road it shakes, rattles and rolls. It's like something is going to shake loose and fall off. But it handles great. Just easy to turn into corners with little body roll. When I look at my car it seems lower than the standard XR6. It may be the reason for the harsh ride. I have noticed on a full tank of fuel it's not as noisy. Not sure if anyone has noticed this, or I need the suspension looked at.
Pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #5
Stampy

Well if you lower it dont use sensor tracks they are made for std height cars

Keep tyres the same profile and you will be happy with the comfort of the ride
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 06:44 PM   #6
SIKSIX
Its gone V

All you do is get king/pedders stg.1 lows and get something like a comfort shock. i got this dredded setup in my car because i bought it like so. my mates love the ride but i hate it due to too much body roll around corners. but if its looks and a (comfort) ride get this setup. and also i noticed a little trick my mate does when he sells his cars is deflate the tyres a bit that helps the most, just drop like 2-3 psi i rekon in a 17" run about 36-7ish psi (imo).
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #7
Pistonbroke

I just dropped my tyre pressures on my 17"s from 35psi to 30. The ride was sooooo noisy & loud. 30 is a big improvement. I just can't work out where all the rattling from the rear is coming from. There is something rattling from the left rear when I go over bumps(corrugations) in the road. Is this a common noise with XR6's?
Pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 11:41 AM   #8
phildee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonbroke
I just dropped my tyre pressures on my 17"s from 35psi to 30. The ride was sooooo noisy & loud. 30 is a big improvement. I just can't work out where all the rattling from the rear is coming from. There is something rattling from the left rear when I go over bumps(corrugations) in the road. Is this a common noise with XR6's?

Im running 39PSI in my 17's it seems fine on the stock suspension, maybe a little harder than the standard wheels/tyres but nothing huge. I always thought that 30PSI is way too low for a 17" tyre.

Will probably go down the path of Lows and GT GAS when i have a bit more spare cash, need to make sure I can afford a camber kit at the same time if i need it
phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 12:11 PM   #9
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSIX
and also i noticed a little trick my mate does when he sells his cars is deflate the tyres a bit that helps the most, just drop like 2-3 psi i rekon in a 17" run about 36-7ish psi (imo).
This will work, but be careful of excessive tyre wear. Interesting note, when Holden brought out brocky's VL with the polariser (i know there's not many), they clained the polariser gave a quieter smoother ride..but if you looked at the recommended tyre inflation pressures were around 20psi....... that'll do it every time.

Back to the issue, I have stock height etc, but am looking at whiteline swaybars front and rear to help stiffen up the ride and cornering before chaning shocks and springs. When the suspension starts to die I'll look at replacing with lowered stuff.

Let us know how you go. Since everyone else has XR's with upgraded suspension as standard, they can't comprehend the standard body roll.

Last edited by Mack 6; 09-03-2006 at 12:12 PM. Reason: i type like a moron
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Phildee, I've got an AUII XR6 with the 17" rims. Mate, on a bumpy road it shakes, rattles and rolls. It's like something is going to shake loose and fall off. But it handles great. Just easy to turn into corners with little body roll. When I look at my car it seems lower than the standard XR6. It may be the reason for the harsh ride. I have noticed on a full tank of fuel it's not as noisy. Not sure if anyone has noticed this, or I need the suspension looked at.
My ride since the lowering is definately harsher. But like you said, when i need to corner, it grips pretty good.

I also find that the rear can rattle a bit but thats just due to the spare/wheel brace bouncing round.

I can't wait to get better shocks tho.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #11
mattsAU1

same, mine has KS lows in front and rear, cornering is a dream and its not too bad on the 18" rims round Geelong,(one day they will get their plans right and stop tearing up the road before the tar has even set) but i quite often venture on the 7.5 hr drive back to me home town and i get out with a pretty sore lower back but the Newell hwy hasn't exactly been laid for rollerblading either, gotta take the good with the bad i reckon
mattsAU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #12
SIKSIX
Its gone V

yeah i dunno, dont really like 30 psi, the lowest i go is like 38, but then again im into my corners more than my straights. if your gonna run 30 psi make sure you check for premature tyre wear on the outsides which im pretty sure you will get. And also if they wear too much on the middle then you have too much boost i mean psi.lol.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 06:14 PM   #13
XR6Stu

WHat causes the sore back? I get this after longer drives as well, and have wondered as to the cause?
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2006, 06:27 PM   #14
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Stu
WHat causes the sore back? I get this after longer drives as well, and have wondered as to the cause?
adjust your seating position, yeah a harsher ride speeds up the process of getting a sore back, it happened with me, I adjusted my seat a little and now i dont have any dramas, it may feel a little uncomfortable at first but your back dosent get as sore..
Old 09-03-2006, 06:28 PM   #15
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
My ride since the lowering is definately harsher. But like you said, when i need to corner, it grips pretty good.

I also find that the rear can rattle a bit but thats just due to the spare/wheel brace bouncing round.

I can't wait to get better shocks tho.
Shocks made a huge difference.. but for 880 bucks for the koni's it takes a bit... the ride definately isnt as harsh since they were fitted.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:17 AM   #16
BJMXR

I got King SL and SSL on mine, the ride is definately harsher, louder and not as luxurious. The rattle can annoy me at times, and the simple fact is my shocks after about 10,000 kms are stuffed. This is apparently why you need short throw shocks. I must say hoever, with the better handling and the lower look i wouldn't think twice about doing it... just dont expect the bumps to be absorbed anywhare near as nicely as the factory setup. I still have the original XR shocks in it (70,000 kms!) gotta change them now... i was happy with their performance until at about 7000 kms they started to make clunking noises...

Go for it...
Lowered on King SL & SSL
KONI "Yellows" Fully Adjustable Shocks
2.5in Stainless Herrods Cat back
Black Leather Interior
BJMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 10:02 AM   #17
Lovells

Phildee,
If you are lowering your car then you should have an increased spring rate.This will not only improve your car's handling and appearance, but also keep the car from crashing out on the bumpstops.If you were to keep the spring rate soft , then all the car would do is bottom out and not handle much better than it was.
My suggestion would be to use Lovells Springs sport lows (XR6 Height) and KYB shocks for an excellent combination of handling and comfort.Stay away from Sensatracs , they do not suit heavy duty springs and can make the ride very wishy washy.
Lovells is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #18
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildee
Or perhaps the stock XR shocks, or are there any other recommendations around the same sort of price which will keep the ride relatively smooth still?

Cheers, Phil
King Lows with stock XR shocks (Motorcraft Red) makes for a very stiff combination that I wouldn't recommend.