Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #1
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Question Herrod Exhaust

Hey guys how are yas, just a quick question, i was down at herrod today after work and was looking at their exhausts and headers for my au2 xr8 ute, at the moment i have a dual 2 1/4 from cats back and into 2 in 2 out muffler, with std headers and cats still, herrod said that changing my headers wont make much of a diff but putting their twin 2 1.2 inch into single 3inch with 2 mufflers would make more of a differance than headers so now im confussed well even more confussed then before. what i wanna know who has this system on their car or ute and is happy with it.

NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 11:27 PM   #2
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Full Noise has a Herrods XR8 Ute. I would assume that his exhaust was fitted by Rob. You could send him a PM. I'm sure he would be able to help
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 11:33 PM   #3
Tickford Kid
Formerly known as TS 50

What crap. Put a set of tri y extactors on and some high flow cats with your 2.25 twin exhaust system and watch it go after that! You'll be happy at half the cost of herrods system.
BLUEPRINT T3 TS50 #109, MANUAL WITH BREMBOS
Tickford Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 01:17 AM   #4
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Would Tri y's still flow good and make more power then the stock xr8 2 ones which r 4 into 1 but pretty small. how would tri y's flow at 6500rpm. also what costs
Old 18-02-2006, 01:27 AM   #5
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do you take your car to 6500 often dude??

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 01:48 AM   #6
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
do you take your car to 6500 often dude??
didnt know they could rev that high?? I thought the limiter is between 5800 and 6000rpm...
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
Tickford Kid
Formerly known as TS 50

Tri Y extractors will give you a better bottom and mid range torque. I wouldn't think you notice the difference at 6000rpm.
I changed my herrod exractors 4 into 1 to Tri y and haven't looked back.
Very happy
BLUEPRINT T3 TS50 #109, MANUAL WITH BREMBOS
Tickford Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by neishaxr8
Hey guys how are yas, just a quick question, i was down at herrod today after work and was looking at their exhausts and headers for my au2 xr8 ute, at the moment i have a dual 2 1/4 from cats back and into 2 in 2 out muffler, with std headers and cats still, herrod said that changing my headers wont make much of a diff but putting their twin 2 1.2 inch into single 3inch with 2 mufflers would make more of a differance than headers so now im confussed well even more confussed then before. what i wanna know who has this system on their car or ute and is happy with it.
My missus' ute is a 250 kw herrod job and it has the herrod (difilipo) 4 into 1 extractors, and that same system as you said.
It produces heaps of torque down low, and has plenty of meat everywhere in the rev range.
It would go very well with your car with the amount of power you are getting.
Her ute is producing nearly 180 kw's at the wheels and is an auto.
My 200 kw ute has the same extractors and system, but doesnt have the rear muffler, only a hot dog and is a standard unopened engine and has not suffered any torque loss, and has much improved throttle response, and has a great midrange.
You will be happy with the results, as i am with both the utes, also they both sound very tough.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
F6man
force fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by philstoj
My missus' ute is a 250 kw herrod job and it has the herrod (difilipo) 4 into 1 extractors, and that same system as you said.
It produces heaps of torque down low, and has plenty of meat everywhere in the rev range.
It would go very well with your car with the amount of power you are getting.
My 200 kw ute has the same extractors and system, but doesnt have the rear muffler, only a hot dog and is a standard unopened engine and has not suffered any torque loss, and has much improved throttle response, and has a great midrange.
You will be happy with the results, as i am with both the utes, also they both sound very tough.
But the hole idea of fitting a performance exhaust is to gain performance is it not?
So if you gain a little in the top of the rev range is it a performance exhaust? NO..

You should make noticable gain accross the hole driving range not in one area.

The first area were a good exhaust should work is in the low range.1000 to 2500 rpm this is were you will notice the diffarance in a good set of headers, try Y headers work there magic in this area.

Then there should be a gain in the mid range eg: 2500 to 4500rpm.

Lastly the high driving range 4500 to 6000+ is much less important because you dont drive in this range very often, this rev range is less affected by the headers, & more affected by the sort of exhaust you have. This is were 4 into 1 headers work..
F6man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2006, 09:50 PM   #10
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6man
But the hole idea of fitting a performance exhaust is to gain performance is it not?
So if you gain a little in the top of the rev range is it a performance exhaust? NO..

You should make noticable gain accross the hole driving range not in one area.
Exactly as i have said, but if you read my post, you will find that i said that it picks up power THROUGH OUT the rev range...
Performance wise, mine picked up a good 30 rwhp, and a fair bit of torque from idle, right thru till the top end, though, it started dropping off after the midrange, but was still heaps more than the stock exhaust.
Mine has done a best of 14.7 down the 1/4 mile with a 2.2 60 foot time, and i had to idle it off the line because it will bag up the tyres to 60 feet....
mods on mine are only the exhaust, 1/2 inch phenolic spacer, 1.7 rollers and a tickford 70mm throttle body.
I can drive the car in 5th gear at 1000 rpm, and accelerate away no problems in 5th!
If that dont show you that its got plenty of torque down low, i dont know what will!
I have a hard time trying to launch it off the line because it wheelspins if i rev it over 2000 rpm.
I have 2 cars with the same exhaust, one auto, one manual, both work well!!
Old 19-02-2006, 12:32 AM   #11
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Well seems 2 be some happy with tri y's and some happy with 4into1's, my ute is auto and has stealth tune and has 182rwkw what that is at engine, but rod herrod saw my front half (headers) when he tuned it and said why no change considering ive done cam, ported heads, big valves, balanced, acl race series kit, rollers, 70mm tick throttle, rev limiter at 6600 cause was still making torque and power at 6400 on dyno. so i may as well change the headers just to say they are changed true, but now herrod say they are fine get rid of my back half and put theirs on. confussing why change their first thoughts. oh and thanks for the good replys.
Old 19-02-2006, 12:40 AM   #12
rodderz

A lot of people have said headers give power, exhaust give noise. Sure, a good setup cat back system will improve flow and a bit more power, as well as cats, but when you look at the big picture it makes sense to improve the flow directly from out of the engine where stock headers can be restrictive
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 05:10 PM   #13
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

Any chances anyone has a sound file i could listen 2?
Old 19-02-2006, 09:52 PM   #14
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my ute - take off
my ute - idle

missus' ute - take off
missus' ute - idle
Old 19-02-2006, 10:03 PM   #15
rodderz

Phil, the both of you are bloody hoons! Lovely note though!
Old 19-02-2006, 10:28 PM   #16
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

hey phil can i just ask how come your missus has more power then you do?? does hers feel much more powerful then what yours does
Old 19-02-2006, 10:34 PM   #17
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In typical cases with stock 200 spec xr8's what gains are seen from just a cat back twin 2.25 compared to tri Ys and a full system?? just wanna know if it would be worth my while(and wallet) to go the whole hog on my au3 xr8 ute(auto)......
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 10:53 PM   #18
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hey phil can i just ask how come your missus has more power then you do?? does hers feel much more powerful then what yours does
Hers is a herrod 250 kw one.
It has a herrod motorsport cam , and a chip, the original owner had that all done when bought new.
Ive never run hers down the 1/4, and am not sure what it will run, but it certainly does go just as good, mine just doesnt get off the line easy.
Hers with an edit will be a weapon on the street.
Mine is a bit more frisky because its a manual..lol.
Old 20-02-2006, 12:15 AM   #19
rodderz

Quote:
Phil likes to be dominated...lol
Old 20-02-2006, 02:01 AM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
my ute - take off
my ute - idle

missus' ute - take off
missus' ute - idle
Gee, I've never said this to a bloke before, but I prefer yours to your missus! Your exhaust is lumpy! Love it.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 02:07 AM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
A lot of people have said headers give power, exhaust give noise. Sure, a good setup cat back system will improve flow and a bit more power, as well as cats, but when you look at the big picture it makes sense to improve the flow directly from out of the engine where stock headers can be restrictive
True, but the headers that came out on the AU2/3s weren't as bad as the series 1s, and they are at least extractors, not just a cast manifold like the E series used to cop.

I reckon do the cats back first, see how that goes, and if you still want more then consider after market extractors. With the power you already have, I doubt it will make much difference whether you get Tri-Y or 4-1s. Both should give a gain everywhere.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 11:45 AM   #22
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Are you sure it's 250kw? cos all the T3's that are auto seem to be around the 195-200rwkw standard.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2006, 01:34 PM   #23
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit
Are you sure it's 250kw? cos all the T3's that are auto seem to be around the 195-200rwkw standard.
It's not a 5.6lt stroker...
Old 21-02-2006, 06:36 PM   #24
F6man
force fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit
I was thinking the same thing. 250 kws should give 195 to 205 rwkw from all the cars ive seen. Although it is a 250 kw herrod so enough said I spose.
Old 21-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #25
F6man
force fed

[QUOTE=philstoj]

Sorry didn't mean to sound like a smart ***.
But like I said in my post.
[You should make noticable gain accross the hole driving range not in one area.]
Old 22-02-2006, 12:30 AM   #26
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6man
Sorry didn't mean to sound like a smart ***.
But like I said in my post.
[You should make noticable gain accross the hole driving range not in one area.]
Like is said, no loss of low end torque, stronger midrange and up high, consistent improvement throughout the rev range....
30 rwhp, and stronger everywhere, is that a performance gain?