Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-09-2005, 05:54 PM   #1
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Any classic Benz fans out there?

I'm trying to sell a Mercedes 250c (~1971) for my old man, i was hoping someone could help.

First up, is there an equivelant to ff.au in mercedes circles? I've looked up the MBCV site (which is pretty useless) where i can advertise for a price. Any other good places for information/advice and to advertise? (other than the obvious)

Would anyone care to take a stab at how much it's worth? As mentioned it's a '70-'71 (can't remember!) model with the 2.5l six (still very strong/reliable - oil pressure is spot on) and 4sp manual (again, perfect nic. no crunching/whining.) as with the clutch. Done between 90-100k miles. My grandmother was the original owner (brought it in the 70's with only delivery mileage), when she passed away my dad (50yo+) drove it for a few years until he got a company car. Since then (probably 4-5 years ago) it's been in a dry (i.e. wodonga), ventialted garage under a cover. Has been run every few months to keep the cobwebs out.
It's not registered, needs a tierod end, windscreen, tyres and exhaust for RWC. Other than those bits, it's in great condition. Theres a very slight dint in the drivers door, a few stone chips in the paint. The chrome only needs a polish. No rust whatsoever (apart from the few stone chips). Has never been crashed. The interior is perfect apart from one of the window winder handles being chewed by grandma's retriever (any other reminents of the dog are well and truly gone, or wern't there in the first place). Central locking and other pneumatics still work perfectly. Has never had a stereo or air con (i.e. no hack installs) We also have the original manual and logbook in the original vinyl carry case.
I've seen (on carsales/point) these cars go for between $7000-$20000. :yeees: Obviously the precise specs, model and condition make a marked variation in price.

We're not sure wether to get it to RWC or let an enthusiastic buyer do it. Do you think it'd be worth our while?

please note THIS CAR ISN'T YET FOR SALE! We're just trying to work out what to do with it!
Some pics (note that it is pretty dusty, hasn't been washed in a while):

Any help would br GREATLY appreciated!

-Stu

Last edited by dogbreath_48; 21-09-2005 at 06:01 PM.
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
Kryton

ok its a 2 door. theres $$$$s there. get a RWC, clean it up and put around $10000 on it. only a Merc head will buy it but those cars are pretty rare and especially in that condition too.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 06:47 PM   #3
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/

http://www.mbcnsw.org.au/forum/

http://forum.mbspares.com.au/

Those are the only sites that I've come across that aren't full of posers, no chrome of 'bling' ****ers at any of em, just true enthuiasts mainly.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2005, 06:49 PM   #4
MrFlibbles
ill have a beer milkshake

i picked up a 4 door in sa in mickey mouse nic for 400, only difference is it is a four door, and auto.......
1969 Isuzu Florian
1976 Chev luv (really its just a rebadged Isuzu!)
1980 Isuzu KB 4x4
MrFlibbles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 01:59 AM   #5
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Wow. Give her a wash and she'll come up very nicely. I started learning how to drive in a '74 Merc 240 D. Good car just rusted out on us. We got $2,000 trade in on it.

Anyhow, I think it's worth getting an RWC done on it, and for being in that condition and two door, definitely.
Old 22-09-2005, 02:12 AM   #6
Philbie
Drvtme

Straight out of the redbook guide.....

1971 MERCEDES 250C

Coupe 2dr Auto 4sp 2.5
Trade in price guide* $1,100 - $2,000
National average price - private sale* $1,900 - $4,600
Price when new (RRP) $9,328

My sources say it would be at the lower end of the scale, given the work needed on it. -

Hope this can help you somehow.

cheers,

Phil

What on earth is going on!........i’m Back in the ford camp.....#2019
Philbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 02:13 AM   #7
Philbie
Drvtme

if you want to sell it - can i have first option - my father loved this car and I'd love to be able to buy him one.

What on earth is going on!........i’m Back in the ford camp.....#2019
Philbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 03:44 AM   #8
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

My got that car is horn.
The interior is as classic as it comes and that engine is golden!
Aim your price high, it's not a car, it's piece of glorious history!
Quicklier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 02:47 PM   #9
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Big classic benz fan here! Currently own 2 71 models, 300sel 6.3 and a 280sl 2.8...best cars I've ever had. The redbook listing Philbie posted is just about spot on, 5g is what I see them go for in average condition. Its not exactly a desired merc for collectors but like most models it will only appreciate in value, and if I were you I'd keep the car.

Last edited by RPO83; 22-09-2005 at 02:59 PM.
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #10
oldracer

don't want to hijack the thread but got any pics of the 300SEL, RPO, just love those big suckers
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #11
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Yeh keep it for sure, clean it up, fix it up, and one day it'll be worth a fair bit.

The coupe's are worth significantly more than the sedans as well.

mbcnsw is the best bet for getting a realistic price, don't get any better merc nutters than there
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 03:27 PM   #12
oldracer

sorry forgot the important part, yeah 4-5k would be it as the 250's are not hugely desirable and IMO I don't think it will appreciate all that much
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 04:30 PM   #13
RPO83
ĕm-bär'gō? 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldracer
don't want to hijack the thread but got any pics of the 300SEL, RPO, just love those big suckers
Got a few of the 6.3 in my gallery on this site, be warned...its in appliance white :S
RPO83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 08:12 PM   #14
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

My next door neighbour has a completely mint 450SEL 6.9 and another old merc with fins. Used to own a older 7'er..

Only certain mercs ever really become collectable. Merc collectors are very picky and usually have a great deal to choose from.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 11:12 PM   #15
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those things can go for over 10 grand in NZ, I'm suprised they are that cheap in Oz. Pretty much any 2 door Merc, or exclusive model (6.9s etc) before 1991 is guaranteed to go up in value or desirability, especially if Mercedes keep up the good work of churning out the , soul less cars they have been for the past 11 or so years (makes our classics more desirable every time they launch a new model : )
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2005, 11:13 PM   #16
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks all for the help! I'll have to start taking a mosey around some of those sites.

I won't pretend i'm not a little dissapointed in some of the prices mentioned. What makes this one worth so much more?:
CLICK
The auto/sunroof/velour? It's less original by the looks of things too. Obviously has a RWC too, but ours isn't $5000 off RWC!
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 02:12 AM   #17
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

I thought they were worth more like 7-9k, not 4-5k, but i'm no expert.

In the end, it's worth whatever someone pays you for it

I've seen some 250 sedans like mine go for 5-6.. when they're not normally worth more than 3k or so.
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #18
Steve D
Irregular Member

Make sure you let these guys know you're selling it - a much higher chance or finding an interested buyer!

Mercedes -Benz Club (Vic)
PO Box 1500 Box Hill VIC 3128
ph: 0500 510 811
*** Wheels magazine COTY 1996 ***
Steve D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post