Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
XR6Stu

Default My AU filled with smoke on Wednesday

had an interesting experience on Wednesday night. My girlfriend and I were on our way out for tea in my car, with her driving ( I lost my license as some here know), and as we were pulling out of her driveway, I flicked on the demister, onto #2, and the cabin instantly filled with smoke out the demister vents below the front screen. Naturally enough, we had the car turned off, and were out of it pretty damned quick! I poppped the bonnet expecting to be seeing flames, and there was nothing... I thought maybe the stereo has short circuited. Popped the boot. Nothing. After leaving the doors open and letting most of the smoke out, we started the car up, with the demister off and it ran fine. Turn on the demister it still runs fine, but a burnt electrical smell fills the car, like when soldering, but much much stronger. Obviously, Ive fried something in my heater box, but I ask you.... What is it that I have fried? Any idea's or opinions morwe than welcome!

XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds like insulation cooking did it have an acrid smell?
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2007, 07:14 PM   #3
XR6Stu

Ummm yeah sort of. If I was blind folded and asked to say what I thought it was I would go with burnt electrical wires, but it does have an acrid sorta smell to it. I didnt think insulation burnt though?
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2007, 09:09 PM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

with hot wires ( a short ) the insulation will give of an acrid smell as it smoulders. PVC when it burns gives of hydrocloric acid fumes
Old 02-09-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Compression Session ?

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
Compression Session ?
???? :
Old 02-09-2007, 10:49 PM   #7
peterban
AULTD

Its rather strange as you would think that something has burnt out and so wouldn't be working.
If leaves and stuff get caught in the heaterbox they can cause the fan speed diode to burn out but then your fan goes all the time.
Maybe a dry leaf was rubbing on the fan and got hot enough to burn.
Take the glovebox lid out and then remove the fan speed diode ( big silver thing jutting out of the heaterbox. Put fingers in and feel around for leaves and crud above the fan.
Other than that whilst the glove box lid is out check for any burnt wires.
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2007, 12:05 AM   #8
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would check around the parsel tray, see if any wires have become naked and started buring carpet or sound deadening etc..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2007, 12:17 AM   #9
Ringo
I see you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterban
Its rather strange as you would think that something has burnt out and so wouldn't be working.
If leaves and stuff get caught in the heaterbox they can cause the fan speed diode to burn out but then your fan goes all the time.
Maybe a dry leaf was rubbing on the fan and got hot enough to burn.
Take the glovebox lid out and then remove the fan speed diode ( big silver thing jutting out of the heaterbox. Put fingers in and feel around for leaves and crud above the fan.
Other than that whilst the glove box lid is out check for any burnt wires.

Exactly the same thing happened in my old XF...twice.

Dry leaves got into the fan and they must have been close to the fan motor or something because started to smoulder. It was like something out of a movie as these jets of smoke pouring of the vents...scary

Stunk the car out too. First time it happened it was just me in the car and I figured out what happened in a few minutes....

Second time Mrs Ringo was in the car and herself "stop the car stop the car - its about to explode "...she didn't see the funny side of me NOT getting so anxious about it.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2007, 08:22 AM   #10
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It'll be debris (leaves & crap) shorting the the fan speed controller as "peterban" suggested, it's common, happened to my EF only a few months ago but once the smoke stops it's safe to assume the debris has burnt off. Mine was more like gum leaf crossed with plastic wire insulation smell, I removed the fan speed control unit & sucked all the crap out, cleaned the fan speed control unit (they look like springs) & all is good again.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:31 AM   #11
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

same thing happened in a mates hilux, turns out he used ac cabe for wiring up the stereo. Not a good idea
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post