Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-04-2020, 08:13 PM   #1
Mark62
Starter Motor

Default VINs Update

Hi everyone

Couple of weeks ago I posted some VIN numbers to try and sort out what these vehicles are..
With members help here, I was able to understand and follow through with the sellers
Unfortunately, some of these sellers just dangle a carrot, lead you about and then stop replying, not getting past the point of, where is it so i can view it and then maybe purchase it..
So, it lead me to this..
I found an XF panel van, 5 speed, with 12 slotters, looking pretty decent and straight..
The person replied to my msg and called me
Told me a history of the vehicle and every thing was a go
All he needed was the money transferred into his bank and I could get a carrier to come collect it and bring it to me
The seller even sent me the VIN via a photo.. on which I did a revs-check
Thats where it started to unravel..
The vehicle (unregistered, according to the seller) and posted online, showing no plates etc..was in fact still registered in Tasmania
Although, it did have a NSW registration long ago, the current rego was valid until May 2020..
The plot thickens..
I called Tas police and they confirmed the vehicle is and does exist in their area
I contacted and informed the seller of this problem and was told the vehicle was in storage for 2-3-4 years and was driven from one place to another recently for work.. blah blah blah
I told the seller to get back to me when it was sorted out and I'll take it
Its been a week, the listing has been deleted and I'm not calling the number to find out what happened
So, it may have saved me a few thousand dollars if not for revs and being a bit of a sleuth
I did approach Services NSW to help in this matter..
But as usual.. not one cared and they didn't want to give private information away to a NON owner of the vehicle..
As I said to the person and NSWS..
I don't want personal info on the seller, phone number, address etc..
I'm not wanting to date them.. I just need to confirm the situation..
NO...
So.. didn't get anywhere with them at all

If anyone is interested.. the following is the compliance plate VIN that was sent to me via a photo

6FPAAAJGCMNS56660
Just incase its comes up for sale again somewhere

Turns out.. to buy a car these days, you really do need to pick it to bits to find out the why's, if's & but's

Happy Easter All

Mark
Mark62 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2020, 12:46 AM   #2
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VINs Update

Sounds like it was just a massive scam.

At least no cash lost.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #3
Mark62
Starter Motor

Unfortunately I think you are correct xisled

The thing that peeved me was that NO ONE, (Services NSW, NSW Police) didn't want to know anything about it
NSW Police told me that they won't do anything unless someone has lost money
Lucky I didn't loose any money, so no action is needed to be taken..
WTF..??
I have the guys PHONE NUMBER & BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS..
Why wait for someone to be caught ?
Oh but wait...
A friend of mine was caught in a scam
Had the Name, Bank Details and Phone number and the police took 8 weeks to do something..

The BANK wouldn't return the funds, nor give any information to where the ACCOUNT was opened
The police are still investigating
In my opinion, they are only HELPING fraud and scams get away and do it again

Services NSW is just the same
Telling me I'm not the owner.. well derr
Couldn't even confirm Rego ID or VIN number correlation between the vehicles listed

Maybe its easier to be a scammer than an honest guy, because no one will care, only the poor guy that gets scammed...
Old 14-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #4
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark62 View Post
Unfortunately I think you are correct xisled

The thing that peeved me was that NO ONE, (Services NSW, NSW Police) didn't want to know anything about it
NSW Police told me that they won't do anything unless someone has lost money
Lucky I didn't loose any money, so no action is needed to be taken..
WTF..??
I have the guys PHONE NUMBER & BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS..
Why wait for someone to be caught ?
Oh but wait...
A friend of mine was caught in a scam
Had the Name, Bank Details and Phone number and the police took 8 weeks to do something..

The BANK wouldn't return the funds, nor give any information to where the ACCOUNT was opened
The police are still investigating
In my opinion, they are only HELPING fraud and scams get away and do it again

Services NSW is just the same
Telling me I'm not the owner.. well derr
Couldn't even confirm Rego ID or VIN number correlation between the vehicles listed

Maybe its easier to be a scammer than an honest guy, because no one will care, only the poor guy that gets scammed...
Send the guy $1 as a 'deposit' then report it to the police. Money has now been lost.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2020, 03:05 PM   #5
Mark62
Starter Motor

What a fantastic idea FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Why didn't I think of that
After all, $1 is legal tender..

I know exactly how the police work in regards to "Defining" criminal activities
I mean, it really should be much simpler when they have the information and you present facts
Maybe todays policing is focused on what they see and encounter on personal level