Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-01-2018, 06:54 AM   #1
ken1939

Default Pittsburgh World of Wheels 2018

Well I had taken my XF Falcon Ute that I took delivery of in August of 2017 out to its first Gala. The 2018 World of Wheels here in Pittsburgh. Remember its January here, and well it gets cold. It was -7C when I took the Falcon down to the convention center, and it was none to happy. The carby was acting up before, choke not opening, as before it would not close, and I did get a rebuilt one on Saturday of the event and will put it on when we get a weather break. However, it was only a 6 mile drive so it worked out ok. I wanted Dry, as the ute was all clean and ready to go.

When I got there they moved me twice without even knowing. The third spot was the charm, but it took an hour to resolve. So I parked it and decided to come in on Thursday nite to clean up the Ute and put out my signs etc. I had a bloke from the local drag strip approach me and say, you know there was a guy here a few years ago that had a black 32 ute, I told him it was me. We laughed. I think I answered more questions with other exhibitors than anything that set up night.

Show runs from Friday 3-10 pm, Saturday 10-10 and Sunday 10-6. Crowds were good and cars were varied. I had a good bit of explaining its not a Subaru Brat, its not a Dodge Rampage/Plymouth Scamp from the 80s. Some asked if I started with a Mustang? For some I had to start at 1960 to explain the lineage of the US and AUS Falcons and how things changed and why. Some younger folk (12 years old) shocked me by knowing what it was off the bat!

On Friday night I ran into the Event Coordinator for the Carlisle Events, a big fairgrounds in central PA west of Harrisburg PA. We talked for about an hour or so and at the end he handed me a card, special invitation to attend the Ford Nationals in June as an inside display. Well I had to accept on the spot, I felt its an honor to represent Ford Australia with my humble XF Falcon.

A bloke who I met in passing when I had my 32 ute there, came back and we talked for about an hour and a half. He is Australian, but has lived and settled in Pittsburgh for 40 years now and we talked alot about how his dad had a XF Sedan, history of the Fords etc. I asked if he wanted to sit in it for old time sake!

Class awards were Saturday night and amazed at all the classes these days. I call them participation trophies in some respect. I placed First in my class, but then again, when your the only car in the class...Its like being the prettiest boy in an all girl school I recon.

It was a few years since I took the 32 down and I am glad I took the XF. I think next year I will take both, and mabey a 32 Roadster I am trying to finish. Makes me really want to get the XB Falcon Ute I bought before under restoration this year. But as we know, Falcons were built to rust and there will be a decent amount of repairs..as will be the drive train. I want to do it right, not rush it.

My quota of upload has been reached so I will have to figure out how to clean out a few to post a pic.
ken1939 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2018, 07:15 AM   #2
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 
Default Re: Pittsburgh World of Wheels 2018

Another event that you might enjoy is the NMRA Ford Nationals at Maple Grove Raceway Park near Reading in the first week of May.

http://www.maplegroveraceway.com/?page_id=17187

We used to take our cars there every year. The track was always well prepped and they had very good food.

They also had car shows.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-01-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1939 View Post
My quota of upload has been reached so I will have to figure out how to clean out a few to post a pic.
Try Postimage Ken.

https://postimages.org/
Old 29-01-2018, 01:34 AM   #4
ken1939

Learning curve looks like with Postimage.
Old 30-01-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
ken1939

Old 30-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #6
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's the nicest XF ute I've seen for about 20 years
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Old 30-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #8
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Wow thats lovely, love the "mini utility" class
Old 30-01-2018, 01:35 PM   #9
ken1939

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Wow thats lovely, love the "mini utility" class
Yeah, the judge wasn't sure which class, he said he did not want me in a class with the heavy trucks that were all lifted

I was hoping the Ford Perfect Ute would have been here this year, I could have put it in my rear tray!
2 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #10
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An XF ute without a drawbar ding in the tailgate, that's rare!

The graduated S-pack stripe on the XFs was one of my favourite automotive graphics as a teenager. It just looked so right.

Very nice condition. How many questioned the steering wheel on the "wrong side"??

I know the eerie feeling though - we have some LHD classics in the family. You get some funny looks from people wondering where the "driver" is, and the drive-thru is a real challenge.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-01-2018, 12:18 AM   #11
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, the judge wasn't sure which class, he said he did not want me in a class with the heavy trucks that were all lifted

I was hoping the Ford Perfect Ute would have been here this year, I could have put it in my rear tray!
OMG!! Hey Ken, don't tell me there's a Prefect ute over there?
Maybe it mated with this Anglia at MN CarCraft Nats. LOL ...

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2018, 12:37 AM   #12
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ken..that is awesome! I haven’t seen an XF that nice since they were on the showroom floor and I had a lot more hair and a lot les common sense! Well, err forget the common sense comment! Very nice mate
How is the XB ute project going?

Last edited by XByoot; 31-01-2018 at 12:53 AM.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2018, 05:17 AM   #13
ken1939

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
An XF ute without a drawbar ding in the tailgate, that's rare!

The graduated S-pack stripe on the XFs was one of my favourite automotive graphics as a teenager. It just looked so right.

Very nice condition. How many questioned the steering wheel on the "wrong side"??

I know the eerie feeling though - we have some LHD classics in the family. You get some funny looks from people wondering where the "driver" is, and the drive-thru is a real challenge.
Sure did, with the Ute positioned the way it was you had to see the steering wheel positions. Lots of "no ways" or its Right Hand Drive! Boy that must be hard to shift with your left hand, etc.

I explained the odd part if looking out the right window for the rear view mirror, I got use to that quick, and the turn signal stalk being on the right side.
This user likes this post:
Old 31-01-2018, 05:19 AM   #14
ken1939

[QUOTE=commodorenutt;6076121]An XF ute without a drawbar ding in the tailgate, that's rare!

I have to say I am blessed to have found an XF this clean. Granted hit has a few dints and paint chips, the top of the frame rails where the tonneau cover sat rubbed some of the paint off over time. Even under the bonnet its very tidy.

Just lucky!
Old 31-01-2018, 05:22 AM   #15
ken1939

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
Ken..that is awesome! I haven’t seen an XF that nice since they were on the showroom floor and I had a lot more hair and a lot les common sense! Well, err forget the common sense comment! Very nice mate
How is the XB ute project going?
What do they say, you lived life in the fast lane but your hair didn't keep up?

Well I think now I have to start the XB in Spring. I have a 32 Ford Roadster build that I have to finish first, and its about 90% done minus some wiring, brake bleed, trim panels to fit and rub the paint out.

I may have found my last quarter panel half I need for the rears, and it will be down to lots of body work. I ran into a mate who let me rent his paint booth a few years ago when I started the roadster, I told him, doing Snow White this time with Bright and Bold Blue Stripes, so it should go easier than the Gold!

Mechanicals will be an engine and trans rebuild which will be a separate issue. Will keep you posted!
2 users like this post:
Old 31-01-2018, 05:22 AM   #16
ken1939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post

I will check with my nephew for a picture, I know he has one.
Old 31-01-2018, 12:16 PM   #17
ken1939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post

She is just a little thing

4 users like this post: